droid battery used when phone is off

bikerboy

Reaction score
Navigation doesn't kill the battery to the extent bikerperson is saying. If that was the case my battery on orange wouldn't have lasted after I used turn by turn directions to 3 different locations... over 1hr and 30 min of driving time before I got home.
I am telling what happened to me, my battery might be diffected if everybody's else battery life is fine.....

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I am telling what happened to me, my battery might be diffected if everybody's else battery life is fine.....
We're not disbelieving you and there is variation in the quality and life of batteries. Could be you just got a bad one.

RedRocker

Reaction score
Where can you learn how to turn off all the things you're not using. I'll go on line but can't figure out how to log off the net. I'm technically challenged and this is my first smart phone.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Where can you learn how to turn off all the things you're not using. I'll go on line but can't figure out how to log off the net. I'm technically challenged and this is my first smart phone.

There is no need to, the phone OS manages it for you. See here for more discussion.

bikerboy

Reaction score
We're not disbelieving you and there is variation in the quality and life of batteries. Could be you just got a bad one.
How can i test it ? what should i do ? i am afraid that i am over using the phone and that's killing the battery

nite 0wl

Reaction score

Also, there is a Widget you can add to your home screen called Power Control. It will show you what power sucking features are turned on and allow you to turn them off. Basically, unless you need them right that moment, turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Satellite GPS and turn down the brightness of your screen. Any one of those features can eat through battery power very quickly, and when you have two or more of them on it's even faster.

How can i test it ? what should i do ? i am afraid that i am over using the phone and that's killing the battery

Firstly keep in mind what I just said above, turn off features you aren't using (particularly satellite GPS) and make sure it's had a good thorough charge. Then try going a day or two like that, see if it makes a change in your battery life. If it doesn't you should probably take it into Verizon and tell their techs you think you have a faulty battery.

Last edited:

necr0

Reaction score
I turned mine off for 3 days and when I tried turning it on, I got an error message. Something about Boot Loader/Low Battery. I freaked put for a second, I am in South America right now and there is no Verizon down here, so I'd have to wait until I got back to the US. Anyways, I tried charging it via USB but didn't work, I had to plug it to the wall and it worked (USB doesn't provide much power). Just throwing this out there :)

nite 0wl

Reaction score

If you are really worried about your battery and don't mind doing something a bit beyond what might be your comfort level you can do the following:

1: Open Phone Dialer, enter the following using the keypad:
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*

2: This opens a diagnostics menu with 4 options: Phone information, Battery information, Battery history, Usage statistics. Select Battery information, this brings up your battery information such as temperature, status, type and various technical information. You want the lines in the middle titled "Battery scale" and "Battery health".

3a: If Battery health reads "Good" and Battery scale reads "100" then your low battery life is likely related to how much you use the Battery intensive options and features. In that case return to the Home screen (You can either press the Home button or press the Back button until you have reached the Home screen) and press Menu > Settings > About phone > Battery use. Look at what items are at the top of the list (Display will always be near the top but shouldn't read higher than about 50-53%). Try turning these features off (if GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi are high on the list) or try reducing how much you use particularly battery intensive programs.

3b: If Battery health reads something other than "Good" and Battery scale reads less than "100" then you might want to take the phone into Verizon and tell the techs that you are concerned about your battery and you would like it replaced (don't tell them that you used these menus as they might try to use it to deny you service).

HTH

jonf

Reaction score
Battery drain overnight

I have repeatedly gotten a 100% charge before shutdown at night and had 60% charge at startup in the AM. It was a true shutdown,not a sleep mode. I exchanged the battery at Verizon and have the same results on the new battery. Went back to customer service at Verizon store. His comment was " I just got the M. Droid and it's doing the same thing".Also implied :what do you expect with a new model? There is either a battery issue or voltage leakage even on shutdown. Too many people complaining both at store level and on-line for it not to be true.

poqonos

Reaction score
I second that, I can't beleive such a nice device has such a horrible battery