Battery Drain - WHEN OFF

Trever1t

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/2712-droid-battery-used-when-phone-off.html

Repeatedly I charged the MDroid, power OFF at night, wake up and have a 100% charge....until this morning when my battery level read 60%!!

Is there any more info on battery drain when completely turned OFF???

Again, not talking about sleep mode or standby, I mean powered off.

This needs to be addressed by Motorola and Verizon, many people travel and shut down their phones, fully expecting the charge to hold for use when needed.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Trever the same thing happened to me. Its very strange and I have not been able to find any info on this.

What I do now is just leave the device on overnight and it barely discharges.

I'm going to shut down tonite and see what happens

Last edited:

808droid

Reaction score
I stopped turning it off at night because I noticed the same thing, especially after a full charge before going to bed. Now I just leave it on and kill all running apps, when I awake it is still on full charge...weird, I thought when the phone is off it would be better, apparently not with the DROID.

OP
Trever1t

Trever1t

Reaction score
this is a DEFECT and needs to be addressed. I routinely ride my bike with phone off for long distances, like weekend camping trips etc and need the phone to hold a charge when off so I have it available if needed for emergency calls from the road.

None of the other little quirks bug me but if this is how it is.....I really don't want to return this phone, I love it otherwise. :(

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Trevor why not just leave your phone in standby/sleepmode while you are riding? Put it on silent if you don't want to be bothered.

It will "fix" the problem you are experiencing.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Strange. I turn my Droid off every night and have never seen a battery drain. Wonder if this will be addressed on 12/11.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Strange. I turn my Droid off every night and have never seen a battery drain. Wonder if this will be addressed on 12/11.
Yeah it's very strange. It happened once to me. When it happened i decided that night I would leave it on and see if it discharged (it did not) so ever since I have left it on.

BigBob

Reaction score
I had my Droid for only a few days before leaving for Europe for 8 days. I took it along (knowing I wouldn't be able to use it) so that I could get important messages at the airport upon returning home (like where my car was parked by a friend). Imagine my dismay when I had zero battery left after not having turned it on even once. Is the only sure fire answer to remove the battery???

OP
Trever1t

Trever1t

Reaction score
Trevor why not just leave your phone in standby/sleepmode while you are riding? Put it on silent if you don't want to be bothered.

It will "fix" the problem you are experiencing.

Because I ride 3 to 4 days at a time. I went to Verizon today they replaced the battery. ..we'll see how this works.

zmeflyby

Reaction score
Maybe you need to remove the battery next time....which is dumb. But that might be the only way to keep the battery life.

I also experienced this battery drain when I was on the plane for 2 and 1/2 hours flying back home. It dropped 10%!!

R

racklefratz

I'd appreciate it if you'd kill those Droid images in your sig on the bottom of your posts. They don't add anything to content, and they're distracting.

I've already killed them with Adblock, but you ought to just eliminate them, for more gracious living.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Trever1t

Trever1t

Reaction score
Who are you referring to??

Anyway. I made a note with. Verizon and will try the new battery...I. can't imagine what Droid does after I go to sleep to drain the battery.:)

808droid

Reaction score
I'd appreciate it if you'd kill those Droid images in your sig on the bottom of your posts. They don't add anything to content, and they're distracting.

I've already killed them with Adblock, but you ought to just eliminate them, for more gracious living.

Actually if you are referring to the Moderator, only they are allowed to post Banners. It's a pretty cool banner and I think it actually adds value to this forum.:greendroid:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lithium-Ion batteries will loose charge if they are doing nothing and turned off. This is not a defect this is how the batteries work as of current technology. Though this should be a very minute amount of charge, which shouldn't really be noticed.

At a 40% loss overnight though, i would recommend that you either go to your closest verizon store or call up their support and request a new battery. The most you should loose for a new battery overnight while a unit is off, should be maybe at tops 2%. Most likely 1% or less. If you leave it off for a couple of days though you might see more of an effect.

zmeflyby

Reaction score
Lithium-Ion batteries will loose charge if they are doing nothing and turned off. This is not a defect this is how the batteries work as of current technology. Though this should be a very minute amount of charge, which shouldn't really be noticed.

At a 40% loss overnight though, i would recommend that you either go to your closest verizon store or call up their support and request a new battery. The most you should loose for a new battery overnight while a unit is off, should be maybe at tops 2%. Most likely 1% or less. If you leave it off for a couple of days though you might see more of an effect.

1-2%??

Are you just spitting out numbers or have you experienced this?