Battery dies when power off...HELP!

tsDroidio

Reaction score
Here's the crazy truth....On multiple occasions I've shut my Droid down with a battery near full or half charge according to the batt icon. The next morning or 10-12 hours latter when I try and turn the Droid on, it does not power up. Upon plugging it in the unit powers up and indicates a dead batt. Here's the kicker.....if I leave the Droid powered up for the same duration (no calls just stand by) the Droid does not go dead, it just uses battery life as normal. It's as though the batt is being consumed at a greater rate when powered down.

Any suggestions on why the battery is being drained completely when off?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
It isn't completely off. The device's cpu is still running I believe. And as far as I know, there isn't any way to shut it off completely

ShowTime

Reaction score
Don't know for sure if it has anything to do with you personally having a bad battery (especially if you're getting normal battery life during the day under use), as I've seen probably more than 2 dozen people in the last month on the boards here with the same thing happening. I can't even say if mine behaves the same way (it very well might) since I have never had a reason or desire to turn my phone off over night. In most of those cases I mentioned, the end suggestion was to just leave the phone on (and plugged in if need be) overnight. For whatever reason, something in the OS seems to chew up battery at a significantly higher rate while the phone is off.

fordisney

Reaction score
Droid Battery dies when phone is turned off

OK. So I have been eyeing the droid for some time. Since I no longer need a Blackberry for work anymore, I figured I would get a nicer/jazzier phone. So after working some overtime on Saturday, I left work and went to the Verizon store and picked up my droid :eek:)

Fully charged it Saturday night, Sunday morning got up it is at 100%. Transferred photos, music, vidoes and ringtones that was on my Blackberry to the droid (easy as can be). Did a few other things while it was connected to my computer (battery is discharging and needed to be charged again before I left the house). Met a friend in the City for lunch, had a nice lunch was out for less than 4 hours, get home and the battery is pretty much dead. I used google maps for a few minutes to get train directions to where we were meeting, and maybe sent two text messages while I was out. Battery was at 20% when I got home, was at 100% when I left.

Charge the phone again, say around 6pm. Had to charge it again before I went to sleep, this was having shutting off many of the features, I have the app killer.

Got up this morning phone is 100% charged, left the house around 8:45 am, got to work and around 9:30 am shut off the phone, because cell phones are a no no at my new job, my thinking was since it would be off, the battery would be good for work and I could play around and finish consolidating my address book. Oh which by the way, I transferred to google from my Outlook. Not very difficult. But it did not consolidate all the duplicates. So I have some fine tuning to do. At 1:30 pm I go to lunch, and turn on my phone, phone is down to about 40%, phone completely died by 2:30 pm. While finishing up a message to a friend as I went to hit send, the phone shut down. Charged the phone at work.

My phone has been unplugged for 3h 39m 32s, according to the battery usage menu. My display is using 64%, cell standby is using 13%, google is using 12%, Android system is using 5%, gmail is using 3% and android core apps is using 2%. Screen is set to darkest level, no animation, no auto orientation and screen turns off in 15 seconds. Not auto-syncing accounts, background syncing is off, and the Battery is at 60%. So basically, it seems I can not use any of the features because the battery will die in just a few hours or less.

Love the phone hate the battery. There has to be something that can make the battery last so you don't have to walk around with a charger looking for some place to plug your phone in...