Droid as a GPS (Droid Window Mount)

Joker

Reaction score
I don't have a case or the mount, so I can't tell you how well it works, but I believe the stock moto car dock will not work with any cases on the phone. Seidio does make a car dock that will fit with their case. You can find more info on their website

banderbe

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it very often and certainly not overclocked and not without your phone plugged in.

Navigation gets the phone very hot and sucks down battery fast.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I don't own a GPS so I have a stock Moto car mount. It's very tight, no case would fit on the phone when using it.

And the phone does get warm, though it may be because a series of steps I take... The phone is hard to see at night, so I turn the brightness up. Brightness sucks the battery, so I charge the phone while in use. Charging makes it warm up, as does using the GPS and all... you get the idea.

kenbarnum

Reaction score
Seidio Innocase with the Seidio Car Dock...works like a charm for me.
I do use SetCPU to have a profile to lower the processor to 550 when docked or charging...just in case because it does seem hot.

Search seidio car dock in this forum. Ive read mixed reviews where some people's don't charge properly and you can't type on the on screen keypad...

I have had zero issues.
I love it.
You can use with the seidio case or naked (with an included attachement).

OP
fearmychickens
Reaction score
Nevermind. I already have a GPS I can use so I won't need to use my Droid as one. I will however pick up a car charger.!dancedroid

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i have the one from verizon and like others have said there is no way you can use a case with it.

overall im really happy with it not a single complaint.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
i have the car mount and it will definitely NOT work with a case. its a perfect fit.

nav is dead on too.

i have my mount suctioned to a bean bag that sits on my console, with the phone almost upright right at my shifter. perfect for me.

Another_Dude

Reaction score
I use a generic GPS vent mount, the Verizon car cradle, the Motorola car charger, and a butt naked Droid.

One of my four vents is blowing icy cold air on the backside of my Droid while it is charging and navigating (and usually running Pandora via Bluetooth to my head unit).

The CPU stays around 80F and the navigation is spot on. My Garmin Nuvi is in my console and hasn't been used since December.

pyro6128

Reaction score
i use a bracketron vent mount, works great. I barely use my garmin nuvi anymore

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that there is a Droid Accessories subforum (with threads on mounts, mounts and cases, etc).

baniels

Reaction score
I had one of these laying around from use with a previous phone. It doesn't have the magnet to enable the Car Dock, but it would fit any Droid case out there. It satisfies the need for me. It is necessary to position just slight off-center to access the USB port for charging.

I second the comment about GPS, charging, and heat. If going that route, use SetCPU to have a profile that clocks the phone down while charging.

Unavailable on Amazon, but the "squeeze" concept may exist in other designs.

Amazon.com: iGRIP Smartphone Holder with Global 9 mount…

311BTR737YL._SS400_.jpg

alkaholic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I use the Droid as my GPS all the time now, and it's saved me having to upgrade my old nuvi in order to get new maps and to get traffic information...which the Droid does an OK job with. I use the Verizon vehicle mount and the Verizon Shell case, but I only use the front of the shell (to keep my screen cover from getting peeled off) because it wasn't fitting in my leather belt case...but it's been keeping the thing from getting scratched, and fits in the Verizon window mount, multi-media docking station, and the leather pouch. Definitely does the trick for the GPS, though, as long as you remember that if you get a phone call at a critical part of your trip you may be scrambling to get Navigation back on to the screen.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
you guys have to remember...you will NOT have the droid forever. so buying a car mount that is specifically made for the moto droid would be wasting money when you upgrade to a different phone. I suggest a universal one. i pick one up at best buy call xentris (something like that) in the gps section for 20 bucks and its been great. works with body glove case. Since i dont have a 'normal' gps device i use the Droid. it has work great for me but it does get HOT. Im rooted running 1GHZ but 900MHZ when plug in. The temp got to 137 and i kept using it for an hr with no issue. Im not recommending you abuse your Droid but each their own. ;)

Last edited: