Droid as a dedicated mp3 player (vs Zune Hd/iTouch/etc)

Detonation

Reaction score
I have sitting in front of me a brand new unopened 32GB Zune HD. I've been thinking about getting a new mp3 player and have been eying the Zune HD, but I kind of just impulsively bought it recently because it was on sale at a great price ($200)

Before I open it (and therefore can't return it), I'm wondering if I really even need it. The primary use of my mp3 player is in the car (via aux input) and at work (cubicle job). I wanted to upgrade to a touch player with a big screen for ease of use in the car, and the Zune HD was one of the only choices since I really don't want ipod. However, I'm contemplating just using my Droid. Capacity concerns aside, is the Droid as a music player any good? I already have a window mount so I could just plug it in and then have the convenience to also use my speakers for when on a call. I am worried about battery life though...can the battery handle a full days use? I realize I can charge it while at work, but there may be times when I can't charge it for the whole day. To those that use it as an mp3 player, what complaints do you have? I know it doesn't have the full on features a dedicated mp3 player may have, but is there anything else to comment on?

Fortunately I don't have to worry about use when working out. I have a Sansa Clip and it is perfect when lifting and running.

It kind of seems the Zune HD is overkill for my needs, since I won't use the browser, apps, games, or video, but there are really no next-gen touch mp3 players that are only mp3 players.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The Droid is a decent music player. Nowhere near as good as your ZuneHD is. I mean it has it's playlists and all the basic functions, but that's about it.

I checked out the Zune software and it seems to be pretty good. It will make your experience with your Zune that much better.

However, if you don't want that Zune, i'll take it off your hands, i'm due for an upgrade. =P

tu3218

Reaction score
I have a zune HD 32gb, and I still use it. The music quality of the droid is good and it wouldn't be bad if you used it as a dedicated mp3 player. But to me especially since I own a zune HD, I would keep your zune HD. The zune HD is a spectacular media player an the quality is better then any other media player including the ipod and well the droid. There is some applications out there to make syncing music to the droid but I still feel its more complicated then it should be. Plus I like the features the zune has and especially the playlists and how easy it is to create autoplaylists. Also since I can't keep all my music and videos on my droid, its nice having a device that can hold it all.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i dont use my itouch very much anymore because my droid is good enough. if you have problems with your headphone jack it would be annoying. but if it works i'd take back the zune

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
Wow, ran smack into the exact same situation, only I have already opened my Zune. :)

Got it about a month before I got the DROID and now I struggling to justify not selling it. With Pandora for music and Better POD for my podcasts it covers everything I need. I also have the Zumo drive so that gives me an additional two free gigs of cloud storage that can be upgraded for a monthly fee if I get bored of Pandora. Don't see that happening though.

So yeah, dilemma city...

Helmut

Reaction score
Funny pattern here! I also own a Zune 80. I have had it for about a year and a half. I was a Zune pass subscriber for over a year and I thought it was awesome. I always said "psssh a cell phone as a pmp??, thats what the Zune is for!!" That was until the Droid, I canceled my Zune pass (and with it 3000 or 4000 songs vanished into the either) and I haven't looked back!! The Zune HD is one of the best sound players, don't get me wrong, but the convenience of the Droid is unmatched. Sound quality is ok with a decent pair of IEM's and I can stream podcasts (Google listen) for a whole 8hr day of work and have plenty of battery(just make sure to leave the screen off). I do notice that the party shuffle tends to become somewhat "predictable" and the stock music player is somewhat lacking. Hope this helps

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
With all these Zunes collecting dust, someone sell me theirs!!!

ZuneHD would be great =P

i personally can't see myself using my droid as a dedicated music player as i use my mp3 alot, wouldn't have battery for anything else.

agdaniels

Reaction score
I'll second what everyone else is saying, the droid works fine as a pmp replacement. The addition of market apps such as mixing or cubed, make it even better. Online radio such as pandora is a huge plus, as well as using it to watch videos via the youtube player. My ipod is now mostly used for dvd rips watched on long trips (though if I correctly formatted them I could play those on my phone as well)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
With all these Zunes collecting dust, someone sell me theirs!!!

ZuneHD would be great =P

i personally can't see myself using my droid as a dedicated music player as i use my mp3 alot, wouldn't have battery for anything else.

I'll gladly buy any Zunes people want to sell (including another HD). I have 3 Zunes that all get used a LOT. Primarily because the 3.5mm jack on the Droid SUCKS. It WILL get damaged and stop working with enough use. I also use the phone way to much for emails and messaging. I can just get by a full day w/o charging as is but not if I used it for music. It's also just to big and heavy to be convenient for working out. Not to mention that accidents DO happen in the gym or when running outside. I would rather loose a Zune (as I have others) than have to worry about replacing my phone. And it's just too convenient to have the Zune software keep everything synced (not to mention unlimited d/l). Maybe if/when Moto or someone gets this down I'll reconsider (and yes, I've tried DoubleTwist and MotoPortal ect. they ALL SUCK compared to Zune software).

Helmut

Reaction score
Another plus for the Droid which hasn't been mentioned is Bluetooth support. Bluetooth will drain the battery faster and some SQ is lost but it is so nice to the cord! Why Zune and other pmp's don't support Bluetooth is beyond me, not only for headphones but also for integration into car audio systems.

umlawgrad

Reaction score
I was shocked to find, as an audiophile (whatever that really means), the Droid provides the best overall sound quality of any MP3 player, unmodified iPod, or PMP I have ever heard. There is occasional clicking out of the HP jack and a steady low end hiss that keeps it from being perfect, but I was shocked at the soundstage, imaging, and detail it produces, unamplified, compared to the two (formally) best players I own, the Sony Walkman S639, and X1061 and the Samsung R-0. I also find the Droid's sound quality to be substantially superior to the iPod Classic 5.5 and 7 and the Touch 2. Those interested in overall sound quality should give the Droid a serious listen. They may find they are as surprised as I am!

QuickSilver98

Reaction score
I use my droid as a primary mp3 player mainly because I don't feel like carrying around my iPod touch as well. It isn't as good as the iPod touch but it gets the job done.

Reaction score
I usee my Droid with the Motorola bluetooth stereo headphones. Great for working out or whatever you may be doing. I'm sure there are features the music players have that the Droid doesnt, but I dont miss them.