Using the Droid as a sole music and movie player.

broosewee

Reaction score
My droid is also my multimedia device, but you have to be wary of battery life.

I spent one day walking around NYC with music, light calling, some Maps usage, and my phone was dead by the time I hopped on the train to go home. Not bad, but still sucked to not have a phone on the way back.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i stopped using my 16 gb itouch when i got the droid too, but i still have it. its so nice not to have to carrry an ipod and a phone anymore

Reaction score

I spent one day walking around NYC with music, light calling, some Maps usage, and my phone was dead by the time I hopped on the train to go home. Not bad, but still sucked to not have a phone on the way back.

Your music didn't kill your battery, but you can guarantee your GPS did. There's a battery test video that has the phone's screen on full brightness, no timeout, music playing the whole time, and GPS used for approx 45 min. It lasted over 7 hours, that's impressive! It was doing great until the GPS came on though haha.

JESSEVARGAS

Reaction score
I pretty much use my droid for listening to music, now. I watch the movies when I'm waiting or bored.

carbine

Reaction score
I've been having a problem doing this. I've been using an old 30GB Zune for a while now. As I only use it in my car I've grown used to being able to change songs via physical buttons and feel alone. Having to look down, unlock the screen, look for the button and then press it to skip a song is a bit of an annoyance to me. This is my main reason for not completely switching over. :x

AKValle26

Reaction score

Your music didn't kill your battery, but you can guarantee your GPS did. There's a battery test video that has the phone's screen on full brightness, no timeout, music playing the whole time, and GPS used for approx 45 min. It lasted over 7 hours, that's impressive! It was doing great until the GPS came on though haha.

here's the video link for those curious: [video=youtube;5MiCazSsEWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiCazSsEWg[/video]
And lasted 7hrs1min to be exact :tongue:

broosewee

Reaction score

Right, I was also surprised my phone didn't die earlier. But I thought my GPS usage was pretty light, just checking my location then getting directions to the next destination.

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for DROID as multimedia device. the 6+ gb of ROMs, 2+ gb of photos, and random video clips sure eat alot of that 16gb REALLY fast!!!

i don't even carry MP3s!!!

bgrubb7

Reaction score
The only thing that I still miss from my iPod is the video out. I could bring a cable with me when traveling and hook up to a TV to watch movies. I still use my iPod as a movie player for this reason alone, but only if I plan on hooking up to a TV. If I am just planning on watching a movie handheld, then its Droid all the way. I use Handbrake with the Legacy iPod settings for converting, and I never experience a video lag or out of sync audio.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
It is not necessarily how much you use the gps with navigation but whether the gps was enabled the entire time. While the nav app may have closed, with GPS enabled, the core gps still runs. easy fix, install the power control widget and easily control things that eat the battery.

Craig

OP
H

HeroNova

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm usually a pack rat when it comes to electronics as well but I'm strapped for cash. Since getting my droid I only really use my ipod in my car and I'm thinking ib could make a few bucks and declutter my bag at the same time.

I was mostly concerned with battery life bc under normal use without music I'm at like 30 percent at the end of the day but it seems like it should be ok with music.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually still use my iPod but mainly for the games I bought. I don't think I'm going to be buying many more games though as I've really fallen in love with android, so I'll hold out until android gets it's games rolling.

In terms of Music I'm still going to use my iPod for heavy music usage as I have 32gb. I just sync my Current playlists that I listen to on my droid for light listening on the go, and carry my iPod in my bag.

wil318466

Reaction score
Note : by no means am I being critical (it may sound it) but its more of a statement:

My question is - why would you ever carry an iPod to hold music when you can carry music on your phone which can also download songs for free and goto youtube to watch a video if you wish?

The second I got this phone I never used my ipod I had in my car again. There was no need to. If I was driving, and thought of a song I wanted, I'd just download it and listen to it. Instant gratification.

I never touched my iPod again. There just isn't a need to have one, when you have this.

-Wil