Droid 4G/LTE for Verizon - with Global Roaming (GSM)?

bchandler02

Reaction score
New to the droid forum here.. but have been looking at getting a Droid for almost a year now. I need something with global roaming capabilities, so the D2 Global was a perfect fit for me, but I can't upgrade until February. However, with the 4G stuff coming out, I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait until there is a 4G Droid with global roaming out there.

Has anyone heard of any rumors of devices coming out that are basically a D2 Global with LTE added? I'm thinking if it is only a few months away, it'd be worth the wait, but if not I'll go ahead and get the D2G and upgrade later to 4G stuff.

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Welcome to the board!

If I were you I'd personally wait for 4g technology to expand, we're probably looking at about 2-4years before Verizon gets 4g coverage up to their 3g coverage. With that said, unless you absolutely want 4g and the improved hardware, I would go ahead and grab the D2G.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I have D2G, its ok but I say hold off till new phones come out.
oh...welcome to the forum

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

OP
B

bchandler02

Reaction score
Really appreciate the input. Verizon has 4G in OKC already which is where I spend 95% of my time, and I don't care if it drops back down to 3G when travelling. But, the international data is critical when I travel.

I am also considering getting the Bionic, and just keeping my BB tour for when I travel as it is only 2-3 times a year (but a long trip when I do go) and swapping phones, but I need to talk to verizon first to see how that's going to work - with the 4G stuff using a SIM, does it make it alot harder to go back to a 3G phone vs just a simple ESN change.

Thanks again for the input and the welcomes.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Make sure you price out international BB data costs before you go with that route.

OP
B

bchandler02

Reaction score
Will do, I currently use the BB international services so I am familiar with the pricing, but thanks for the info!

phenryib1bit

Reaction score
Just 4G with voice and messaging

I went in to trade in my Blackberry and get a new 4G phone and during the checkout process while looking at a brochure I notice a phone advertising GLOBAL so I casually asked, TO CONFIRM, if my new phone was Blobal capable..... To my great surprise it is not.

I thought that ALL phones were going the Global capable route a few years ago so I found it unbelievable that these new top of the line (supposedly) phones are not global.

I really do not care to much if I loose the 4G surfing capability but the deal breaker for me is that I can't even make a phone call or receive my emails with them...

Does anyone know of a current or soon to be released 4G phone that is capable of traveling the world?

expattyke

Reaction score
4G world phone

Looks like the Motorola Photon on Sprint will be your best bet. Not sure when/if Verizon will have one.

natedlee

Reaction score
Looks like the Motorola Photon on Sprint will be your best bet. Not sure when/if Verizon will have one.

I've been told that the Bionic 4G will be global-ready. Does anyone have a link to a credible source saying that it won't?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I highly doubt they are packing 3 radios in this phone. LTE is set to be the new global standard and that is probably what they are refering too. It will have a LTE radio and a CDMA radio for Verizons network. I don't think there's room for a separate GSM radio as well.

end of line...

natedlee

Reaction score
I highly doubt they are packing 3 radios in this phone. LTE is set to be the new global standard and that is probably what they are refering too. It will have a LTE radio and a CDMA radio for Verizons network. I don't think there's room for a separate GSM radio as well.

end of line...

Interesting. You're probably right about the LTE - although I can't imagine there's very wide coverage at this point.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

end of line...

Interesting. You're probably right about the LTE - although I can't imagine there's very wide coverage at this point.

That is true. Its not widespread outside the US. But I'm sure it will get there soon.

end of line...

bjorn65

Reaction score
That is true. Its not widespread outside the US. But I'm sure it will get there soon.

end of line...

Verizon is coming out with a 4G LTE world phone. The HTC Vigor. It will be 4 G only in the USA, or Canada I guess. But when you travel to Europe it will be 3G. I am assuming since it is a CDMA phone, it will also be 3g In Asia. I will be going to England in November, and Korea, Thailand, and Australia in January. The only problem I had with my droid x. it was not a world phone. When they came out with the droid 2, it was to late. I already had the droid X. So now I was waiting for Samsung Nexus prime. Not a world phone. Pass. THe new Motorla Razr.. not a world phone. Pass. So I will be looking at the HTC vigor. Also when you get this phone is should have two sim, one for Lte one for gsm. If the phone is unlocked you are better of buying a sim in the country you are going to and use a pay as you go plan. For example in England you can get a sim for 10 pounds sterling. That allows 200 minutes of talk and 1 GB of data. On Verizon you get 300MB for $125, plus your calls will cost you $2.00 a min. So you do the math. Same in Australia, who do have LTE network by Telstra, however it on a different spectrum than verizon. But you can get the 3 G pay as you go sim for $ Aus 10, which gives you I believe 200 calls to the US. 400 calls to Local and 500Mb of data. So I hope this helps.

Last edited: