Droid 4 Leaks: Specs and Comparisons to Droid RAZR and Droid 3; Also VZW Training

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've decided that for me, the constant viewing of the new devices so close together, is a bad time investment as I will wind up in that constant I want state...lol so I'm stopping with the razr...Then if something COMPLETELY different comes out, then maybe I will consider. I have too many as it is. Verizon and the competitors have gotten what they wanted out of me for a while. Time to enjoy what I have..Always loved and mainly stuck with Motorola so I'm good:)

Tapped on the edge of a RAZR...
PEACE! ALL!!-------->>>D2D™

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks guys, the commiseration (well, from some of you!) and fellowship are a huge support for me in this difficult time. I am beginning to see that I can deal with this. I'm strong enough.

Seriously, here is my new cynical outlook: why am I OK with the D3 (owned less than 2 months) when a clearly superior (I say that, because everyone I work with keeps asking me, "Are you upset about the new Droid???") phone is days away? The answer will sound absurd and impossible (yet compellingly truthy at the same time):

Because my contract is up in October of 2013 (gulp), and I KNOW IN TWO YEARS THAT WHATEVER PHONE IS/ARE AVAILABLE WILL TOTALLY KICK TODAY'S DROID 4 BUTT! HAH! So there. I also figure that EVEN IF I sold my D3 and bought the D4, by March of next year I'd be in a similar predicament. I will not be Verizon's and Motorola's tool!

Yeah, I keep telling myself that. And it's working, a little bit.

-Matt

spillner

Reaction score
Motorola has shown over the last 4 months that they have no customer loyalty. I expect my phone to be obsolete by other phones, but to be replaced by the next generation of the same phone less than 6 months is down right insulting. The D3 will be my last Motorola product (after 6 years of buying their phones). Their only concern is getting new customers, once you've bought their phone, you are no longer useful to them. Even after I bought the OG Droid and then the N1 came out I was ok, but this is unforgiveable.

It would be great to see if Moto would grant some sort of trade in policy for D3 owners, but even then I'm not sure I would trust them again.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
WHY WHY WHY only a 4" screen... WTF... if it's going to look like a damn razr then make it literally a razr with a keyboard... instead of a small razr with a keyboard >_>

BAH!!!! I will probably get rid of my bionic for this... the on screen keyboard is still driving me nuts.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Their only concern is getting new customers, once you've bought their phone, you are no longer useful to them.

to be fair, the vast majority of their customers won't be in the market for a new phone for 20-24 months. C'mon, they're only supposed to roll out a new phone every 2 years on your upgrade schedule?!?

They just can't win. People were clamoring for a new slider, many claiming they didn't care about LTE...and 6 months later when they can bring it out with LTE people are upset. People act like a marginal upgrade renders their 6 month old phone a POS.

Last edited:

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I'm just eagerly waiting for this to drop so I can possibly sell off my D2G and pick up a D3 for little to no loss. Being out of date is not a concern with enough dev support, because look where it got the D2G. A basically fully functional CM7? Droid 2 Global does. Plenty of custom roms? That too. Gotta love its band unlock though.;)

quizzard

Reaction score
Gonna get this phone next week for my wife so that she can use the 4gLTE. If it had been out at the time of my Bionic, I probably would have gotten it instead. Consider me oldschool, but I prefer the keyboard to a touchscreen.

I would never use a touchscreen LCD to replace the keyboard on my computer. Give me mechanical keys any day of the week!

droid_mike

Reaction score
Wow, this is going to be a tough call. I'd love to have a physical keyboard, but the lack of removable battery and the whole locked bootloader thing is a bummer. It's still probably better to go with the official Google phone for various reasons, but this one sure is tempting. It's going to be tough on me to figure out which one to pick next week!

loki993

Reaction score
Why is everyone complaining because it "only" has a 4 inch screen? Not every phone needs to be huge

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wow, this is going to be a tough call. I'd love to have a physical keyboard, but the lack of removable battery and the whole locked bootloader thing is a bummer. It's still probably better to go with the official Google phone for various reasons, but this one sure is tempting. It's going to be tough on me to figure out which one to pick next week!

It should have a removable battery.

http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/droid4-specs11.jpg

Looking at the pic it says both the sim and sd cards are behind cover and point to the back of the phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

B-Unit

Reaction score
Narrower screen means less room for the system board, necessitating a change in design.

Im not saying that it absolutely won't have a removable battery, in fact I really hope it does, but pointing to the removable cover as proof is not logically sound.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Narrower screen means less room for the system board, necessitating a change in design.

Im not saying that it absolutely won't have a removable battery, in fact I really hope it does, but pointing to the removable cover as proof is not logically sound.

I've just never seen a device where if it didn't have a removable battery you accessed that stuff by removing the entire back. They always put it on the sides or on top. In the case of some devices like the iPhone or the WP7 Nokias.

It just seems weird to me.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Also bear in mind that although this has the same hardware specs as the Razr, its very likely that the design is based off the Droid3(Same size screen and nearly identical form factor, only the shape changes to 'match' the Razr), which had the SIM and MicroSD cards internally mounted.

Now to be fair, it also had a removable battery, but as I read in several of the pre-launch Razr threads, its progress in the arena of 'built-in obsolescence'. If you cant replace the battery yourself, its pressure to buy a new phone in 2 years when the battery starts loosing its oomph rather than paying huge fees (if even offered) to have the battery replaced by the factory.

Last edited: