Droid 4 GPS Problem

violinman22

Reaction score
I just picked up my new DROID 4 and have an issue. The standalone GPS does not seem to be functioning. When I turn it on, Google Maps fails to pinpoint my position. It says instead "location services not available." If I turn on the Google or Verizon location services I can get my location within about a 500 foot radius but this isn't particularly helpful. Is this a known issue? Should I be worried that I got a defective product? Looking forward to your responses.

snowman

Reaction score
I know on the D-1 you had to have a connection to a cell tower to get GPs functions started then after acquiring GPS signal it would run on GPS signal alone only for a while say your in a bad cell area but you had to start out with the phone cell signal on , not sure yet if this is still the way it is on the D-4

snowman

Reaction score
something may be going on at Google right now I just tried maps and navigation and neither is working either way
airplane on or off with GPS antenna on ?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
No you never needed a connection to get GPS to function. You need a connection to get the maps. Get GPS Status from the market and it should show you how many satellites it sees. If it doesn't see any, you can try Menu, Tools, Manage A-GPS state, Reset. Then do the same but select Download instead of reset.

OP
V

violinman22

Reaction score
I tried restarting and different combos of location services, no luck. I also installed GPS Status and cleared and downloaded the A-GPS data, I don't know what you mean by "sees satellites" but the compass is working fairly well. I'm stuck guys, any opinions on whether this is hardware or software?

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I tried restarting and different combos of location services, no luck. I also installed GPS Status and cleared and downloaded the A-GPS data, I don't know what you mean by "sees satellites" but the compass is working fairly well. I'm stuck guys, any opinions on whether this is hardware or software?

actually over the summer there was a 3 day period where no google gps's were working turned out it was solar flares disrupting sattelites now i dont know where u live but there could be a problem with the sattelites watching over you but who knows. I hear florida has a ton of trouble with gps. BTW i live in ny mine works great

Snow02

Reaction score

Obviously, you need to be outside or next to a window to pick up gps sats.

In the gps status app, the green dots are satellites, and it shows how many you're locked on to on the right-middle portion of the screen (10/11 in this screenshot).
screenshot2012021223035.png

Kack

Reaction score
My gps Works fine. have you tried putting it on wifi the pinpointing and then going back to 4g and trying it then?

OP
V

violinman22

Reaction score
Indeed the wifi had been the problem. I hadn't used it at all since purchasing the phone but once I did, then activated all three location services at the same time, the GPS went live. After this initial pinpointing with everything enabled I could turn all of but the standalone and it worked fine.

Thanks a lot guys!