Droid 4 Broken Screen Help

Tayvis

Reaction score
Dropped my phone for the first time today on carpet and less than a foot from the ground and I no longer have a screen. No cracks, just a black screen with a few lines of light that no longer works.
I've had the cell for less than a year and have no other problems.
I'm not really sure what I should do from here or what my options are. I'd like to resolve the issue as quickly and cheaply as possible as you would assume.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dropped my phone for the first time today on carpet and less than a foot from the ground and I no longer have a screen. No cracks, just a black screen with a few lines of light that no longer works.
I've had the cell for less than a year and have no other problems.
I'm not really sure what I should do from here or what my options are. I'd like to resolve the issue as quickly and cheaply as possible as you would assume.

The short fall distance and the results of black screen with "a few lines of light" sounds like either a torn ribbon cable or one of the cable connectors "popped loose". It may need nothing more than to be opened and have the connector re-seated. It certainly could be a complete failure of the display but I doubt it.

The other possibility is that a circuit on the motherboard was damaged from the drop. If a chip popped loose the same results could be seen. It would only take one leg of a chip to snap its solder joint to cause anything from absolutely no effect to complete failure. See below to see just how weak the little connections on these chips are attached.

View attachment 58582View attachment 58583View attachment 58584View attachment 58585

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seems you got lucky and dropped it on the right spot:frown:

If you're not confident in opening it up yourself then taking it to a cell repair shop could be your next option, unless you have insurance. I can't even begin to give you an estimate on a repair with disconnected connector or cable, but I would imagine it's cheaper than buying a used phone.