Broken Screen & USB Charge Mode. HELP!

sasb92

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG VS980 (G2)
I dropped my phone a couple of days ago and have since gotten a replacement phone. However I am now trying to recover all of the files (pictures, videos, music, notes, etc.) off of my phone, but the screen on my phone is broken and the touch no longer works at all. In addition to this I had my USB mode set to charge only so now I can not open it as a device on my laptop. Unfortunately I hadn't backed up my files in over a year -__-. Is there any way possible to recover the files?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately, unless you're brave enough to try replacing the glass you're out of luck. For future reference there are plenty of cloud services that would have backed all that up, some automatically, like the photos to DropBox. Check out iDrive. It backs up photos, videos, call logs, SMS and much more.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, leeshor is correct. The fact that you have it set to charge only mode for the USB USB, and likely didn't have USB set to debugging mode, makes it highly likely that you won't be able to recover the data from the phone unless you're able to put a screen in place that accepts touch presses and you can change those USB settings. There are some examples of custom ROMs that have been created for these phones which come preset with USB debugging on. In those situations you can flash the new ROM over the existing ROM and gain access that way. This process is not for the faint of heart. One wrong move and all the data that's on the phone which may have been able to be recovered is instantly lost forever. If you would like, I can look into that solution for you and we can work together to get it accomplished if its available.

Last edited:

kevin12345

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s6
hi was wondering if you ever found a solution this same exact thing happened to me thousands of pictures of my son might be gone was there ever a way to save them? download mode rooting ill try anything!

Yes, leeshor is correct. The fact that you have it set to charge only mode for the USB USB, and likely didn't have USB set to debugging mode, makes it highly likely that you won't be able to recover the data from the phone unless you're able to put a screen in place that accepts touch presses and you can change those USB settings. There are some examples of custom ROMs that have been created for these phones which come preset with USB debugging on. In those situations you can flash the new ROM over the existing ROM and gain access that way. This process is not for the faint of heart. One wrong move and all the data that's on the phone which may have been able to be recovered is instantly lost forever. If you would like, I can look into that solution for you and we can work together to get it accomplished if its available.

cantog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung s6
Hi guys,

I have the same question as sasb92, but would like to get help on an different angle. Let me know if I should start a new tread instead.
By using an OPT cable and connect a keyboard I should be able to navigate through the settings on my phone and change USB mode, accept the USB-data connection or turn on screen mirroring and use chrome cast for instance.

Have anybody tried any of this? In ordrer to make it work I need to use a healthy samsung S6 as reference, so that I know what the different keys on the keyboard will do. On some models I know that Ctrl+Esc gets you into settings and then you can use arrows to navigate through the menu and tap enter to change the setting. The easiest way would be connecting the phone to both a keyboard and the computer so that you can simply press enter to accept the data connection. In this way I can connect my phone to the keyboard and try the exact same keys. In theory this should work.

Or - is there any way to enter a command promt on the phone and give specific commands?

Thanks for any thoughts or insights on the topic :)