droid 3 software update

nu2droid

Reaction score
I heard the update breaks root? Is this true.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Yes, you will lose root after the update. Just re-root after using the once click method.
Just make sure you put back all the bloat before the update. (even if you use the script to put it back, go in the system/app folder and double check that all the ".bak"s have changed back. There was one the script skipped when I did it, "FOTA.bak" i think.)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No offnese intended.

Isn't everyone seriously tired of this question? Don't official updates ALWAYS break root?

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
So how is everyone's battery life after the OTA update? Curious to see if it's improved since I initially exchanged my D3 for an X2 (I like the X2, so it's not that big of a deal) because I was getting worse battery life with it than my 2 year old OG droid.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes, you will lose root after the update. Just re-root after using the once click method.
Just make sure you put back all the bloat before the update. (even if you use the script to put it back, go in the system/app folder and double check that all the ".bak"s have changed back. There was one the script skipped when I did it, "FOTA.bak" i think.)

Sorry I meant to say they patched it. p3droid mentioned something on the patch on twitter

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
So how is everyone's battery life after the OTA update? Curious to see if it's improved since I initially exchanged my D3 for an X2 (I like the X2, so it's not that big of a deal) because I was getting worse battery life with it than my 2 year old OG droid.

I have the extended battery. Right now, the phone is 40% and off charger for 23 hours, 24 minutes. I haven't been using it all that much, but I can say pretty confidently that the improvement in battery life is fairly substantial or at least noticeable. I notice that, as others have reported, phone idle and cell standby are no longer the top battery consumers.

THIS PHONE ROCKS!!!!

spillner

Reaction score
Biggest improvement to battery life I've ever seen. Currently at 50% power with 8 hours of light to moderate use. That includes 2 hours in my office where I had no connection (this usually kills my battery) and would have to charge after work. I'm a pretty heavy user after work so we'll see how long it lasts. I normally get 10hours a day before the update. So far im really impressed.

TyrantII

Reaction score

Only had mine for a day before, but seems much improved for me. Cell standby went from #1, way, way above anything else to between 6-12 on the list depending on use that charge.

Whatever had standby searching constantly has been fixed it seems.

TyrantII

Reaction score
So glad to hear there has been an update. I went from a D3 and am testing out an X2 for a week and have till Oct 4th if I wanna switch back. Did the update really solve the camera issues (blue tint, shutter speed, color saturation)? Also- someone mentioned the camcorder is still crappy. I also heard that in-call quality (volume, clarity) has been improved. Really excited to know if these issues have been solved as I must admit I miss using the physical keyboard for web surfing when the touch screen is being sensitive or unresponsive.

white balance is completly fixed, shutter speeds is a little better (use a 3rd party app for even better results though), and loading / unloading the camera is quicker. Saturation is still off, but every droid ever has had less saturation / slight overexposure (most likely as a handicap for people to overexpose shadows). Again, there's other camera apps that can help to control that aspect. Still seems to be issues with the constant autofocus, both camera and camcorder. Camcorder still has the black issue sometimes. Moto knows about both, and they probably on the list for the next update.

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Only had mine for a day before, but seems much improved for me. Cell standby went from #1, way, way above anything else to between 6-12 on the list depending on use that charge.

Whatever had standby searching constantly has been fixed it seems.

It was a loop error where it kept searching for better tower connections even if it had already discovered them all. Its fixed now though. Someone probably got fired...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mypalOtis

Reaction score
Thank you so much tyrant. That really helps. Still undecided though- lol.Glad they are addressing some issues.

Last edited:

howzball

Reaction score
I gotta agree that the difference in battery life alone was worth the update. I'm at 70% 12+ hours off the charger, I was at 60% yesterday before the update 6 hours off the charger.
The camera is certainly improved, not that I expect that much from a cell phone camera but, still great update.

Google talk works fantastic as well. Video chatting couldn't be any lower of a priority for me personally and I just tried for the hell of it.
Really happy with the D3 now, hopefully the stupid runaway cursor issue is solved.