Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
For example I live in colombia and the international rates goes from .14 to .25 of a dollar per minute to the US. But better yet install skype while you are in the US and when you come here you can make free calls.

I will still have to pick up a SIM card with a prepaid data package in order to use skype. I am hoping that it is easy to find a SIM card that I can put a set prepaid amount on that calls, text, & data all pull from.

DroidMoose

Reaction score
All the providers in latin america are gsm just meake shure youu nlock the phone before leaving the us.

Or have the unlock code.

I was given the code from verizon and I need to wait until I have the sim to enter the unlock code in Thailand. Code better work!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

luiferrestrepo

Reaction score
Anybody who has failed before like last month knows a vendor online who already has the updated codes. Thanks I am still waiting for ebay to resolve my case thanks

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tonymontana

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Droid 3 off craigslist. I would like to flash/unlock the phone to use with Metro PCS (cdma) while I'm in the states, and also use a gsm sim card from a European provider when I travel overseas. Is this possible? If so, please help! Thanks in advance!

dbsf2004

Reaction score
I have just spent a while on the phone with Verizon - heres the deal
For 4.99 you can get a global value plan for the UK which means you will pay 99c per minute to call U.S instead of 1.29 a minute if you dont take the plan. Texts are 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming with the plan. There is a data plan also which is 30.00 a month for 30 MB of data.
Should you choose to use a sim card from UK you will be charged at whichever wireless carriers rates are on the sm card. You will need to get an unlock code from verizon which you will enter when you pit in pre paid sim card.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks very handy info! I'm assuming with the UK sim-card option that it's voice only, i.e., data are not included?

-Matt

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks very handy info! I'm assuming with the UK sim-card option that it's voice only, i.e., data are not included?

-Matt

No, SIM cards support data. So, in the UK, I happen to use Talkmobile, an MVNO running on Vodafone. The rates available on new SIMs (I have an older one as well which is slightly cheaper):

Calls from UK to US, around 12c per min (6c per min on the older SIM). Incoming calls are free.
Data: 25MB per day for 15c. Additional MB are 15cents each. So this is 750MB per month for $5.

Much much much cheaper than the Verizon option. And this isn't necessarily the best deal. There are a whole bunch of choices in the UK, lots of pure pre-paid, and others on 30-day contracts which are better value if you are there for a month or so.

Last edited:

dbsf2004

Reaction score
Thanks Silver - That is some useful info for me to know also. I am leaving for the UK tonight. :) I know you said the UK sims dont support data but does that mean you cant text with a prepaid sim card either?

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks Silver - That is some useful info for me to know also. I am leaving for the UK tonight. :) I know you said the UK sims dont support data but does that mean you cant text with a prepaid sim card either?

Um, I said that SIM cards do support data! Hence the 25MB per day for 15c per day. Yes, you can use data and text fine. You can buy prepaid SIM cards at vending machines in Heathrow (and probably other airports), or at carrier stores, and at places like CarphoneWarehouse or Phones4u which are all over the place (amazing number of cellphone places on every high street)

Is your phone unlocked?

dbsf2004

Reaction score
not yet - Verizon gave me an unlock code but sid i cant use it until i put in the prepaid sim card and get prompted to enter the unlock code

silver6054

Reaction score
not yet - Verizon gave me an unlock code but sid i cant use it until i put in the prepaid sim card and get prompted to enter the unlock code

OK, too late now, but for future phone unlocking: see if you can borrow an AT&T or T-mobile SIM. These won't actually work in the US, but will force the prompt and allow you to verify that the unlock code actually works. (Once the phone is unlocked, it is unlocked for all SIMs).

Make sure you have the contact info for Verizon Global Services. Collect is +1 908 559 4899. Your phone might have also come with a card that allows you to place a toll-free call to them. This is in case the unlock code fails.

dbsf2004

Reaction score
Thanks Silver - I made note of that number and hopefully unlock will work for me tomorrow when I get there. Thankyou for your help :)

DroidMoose

Reaction score
OK, too late now, but for future phone unlocking: see if you can borrow an AT&T or T-mobile SIM. These won't actually work in the US, but will force the prompt and allow you to verify that the unlock code actually works. (Once the phone is unlocked, it is unlocked for all SIMs).
Good info. That made me think..."hey I have expired Thai sim cards". Popped in the sim card, prompted for unlock code, entered code, all unlocked now. Now I do not need to worry about not being able to unlock my phone while on Holiday. :)

flemdroid

Reaction score
I felt i should share my experience.

I call the number in the 2 or 3rd post in this thread and state that i would like to unlock my D3 so i can use it with a prepaid SIM. The rep replys that verizon does not do that, after 5 minutes of arguing and reciting stories on this thread she still remains ignorant and that if i want to use my D3 on the other side of the Atlantic i have to use verizons GSM services. I hang up.

As i am 1.5 months away from a winter eurotrip i figured it was a good time to take care of this, so i smoked some medicine and call about 5 minutes later, i hear another rep pick up... I state to the rep im aggravated with the previous one and explain again, and he said well you can use vodaphone.... NO i want to use my own prepaid SIM i say. The guy puts me on hold, sends me to a different rep, stating that we are getting our terminology confused. This guy actually knows what i am saying. However the clown says i need my foreign SIM with me to provide me with this information to unlock.

After telling the rep how it works so he can by no means assume im an ill-witted fool, he states he can help me, provide me with an unlock code, that ill enter when i first slide in my new SIM.

Wait another kink, there's a 400 dollar balance on my family account.... As Im not yet the monetary provider of my family, i couldnt take that hit at the moment... I guess like a gangster, Verizon ('s Rep) told me to pay up for a form of freedom.... freedom aint free

But from another outlook: My family dumps 4800 dollars/year into Verizon's fatass belly... Verizon prevents Moto from unlocking my bootloader and using my own OS... Verizon bloats up my beautifully engineered phone with sh!*ware... This provider used to be so much better than ATT, now its just as worse... Fcuk Verizon

I need to be FREE,
Eric

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
Your account needs to be in good standing for more than 60 days - this is one of the conditions that must be met in order Verizon to provide you with unlock code.

You can try to unlock the phone from one of the many online unlockers for roughly $10. If that fails - Verizon and their 'conditions' is your only option for "freedom"