Droid 3 on Straight Talk

Reaction score
I might be way off base on this, but for the past couple of weeks I've been looking into moving onto Straight Talk for multiple reasons. (Cheaper, able to use imported GSM phones, etc.)

However, I'm not sure I want to make the switch without getting a feel for what the coverage is like in my area. With the Droid 3 being a "Global" phone, would I be able to unlock it via Verizon, buy a Straight Talk phone (with SIM card) and use the Droid 3 on the local AT&T towers. That way, I can test the call quality/3G without canceling my contract first.

I know that it's possible to use unlocked GSM phones on Straight Talk's wireless and use a non-Straight Talk phone on the AT&T frequencies.

Is this possible with the frequencies/SIM slot in the Droid 3? Has anybody done this before? Thanks!

akhi216

Reaction score
I might be way off base on this, but for the past couple of weeks I've been looking into moving onto Straight Talk for multiple reasons. (Cheaper, able to use imported GSM phones, etc.)

However, I'm not sure I want to make the switch without getting a feel for what the coverage is like in my area. With the Droid 3 being a "Global" phone, would I be able to unlock it via Verizon, buy a Straight Talk phone (with SIM card) and use the Droid 3 on the local AT&T towers. That way, I can test the call quality/3G without canceling my contract first.

I know that it's possible to use unlocked GSM phones on Straight Talk's wireless and use a non-Straight Talk phone on the AT&T frequencies.

Is this possible with the frequencies/SIM slot in the Droid 3? Has anybody done this before? Thanks!

I don't know for sure if it's possible, but I HIGHLY doubt it due to the fact that Straight Talk uses American networks, which Verizon has blocked. I've never heard of anyone using a Droid 3 on Straight Talk and I've never heard of anyone saying that it's possible with proof to back it up.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score

I could be wrong but I believe VZW has the AT& T radio frequencies blocked on the D3, so even if you unlocked it you wouldnt be able to connect. I'm not sure if anyone ever found a work around or hack for that yet.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

akhi216

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe VZW has the AT& T radio frequencies blocked on the D3, so even if you unlocked it you wouldnt be able to connect. I'm not sure if anyone ever found a work around or hack for that yet.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

This. I haven't heard anything that even remotely suggests that it's possible.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums