DROID 3 or Bionic?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will the Bionic have a unlocked bootloader on release?
I am almost certain sometime it will, since the Atrix did.

Atrix is unlocked?

I see you havent been keeping up with current events...lol

Its been unlocked for a few weeks now. Moto kept its word about the boot loader so far as far as the Atrix is concerned. Since it did with that, theres a good chance the Bionic and Droid 3 will be unlocked or unlockable too.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Will the Bionic have a unlocked bootloader on release?
I am almost certain sometime it will, since the Atrix did.

Atrix is unlocked?

I see you havent been keeping up with current events...lol

Its been unlocked for a few weeks now. Moto kept its word about the boot loader so far as far as the Atrix is concerned. Since it did with that, theres a good chance the Bionic and Droid 3 will be unlocked or unlockable too.

The reason I asked is cause my gf got it recently. She had the inspire but it gave her problems so I got att to upgrade her. That's why I asked

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid 3 for me because of keyboard and that fact my area doesnt have 4g yet.

Can't you almost look at 4G as a sort of investment though? I mean, I don't have 4G in my immediate area, but the next closest city does I believe. So wouldn't one want to get 4G due to the fact that it will most likely be greatly expanding over the next 2 years and that one would want to have a phone that supports it?

agreed .... u have to think about the next year...year and a half till you can upgrade again.... I absolutely will get a 4g phone since I live in nyc but if I was in any other state id do the same since vze is expanding lte so quickly

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

akhi216

Reaction score
I plan on getting the D3 shortly after release for a number of reasons.

-4G is not a problem for me, as I have a 4G LTE mobile hotspot and my city will be getting 4G LTE turn on July 21. If I need LTE, I can just turn on the hotspot. I also hear that cities that have 4G LTE turned on are getting faster 3G speeds thanks to the increased bandwidth.

-I have to have a physical keyboard. Some people have no problem speed typing on a virtual keyboard but my thumbs and index finger begin to turn red after constantly tapping on glass. Also, when you are using a virtual keyboard in portrait mode, which I use like 50% of the time, the onscreen keyboard takes up like 90% of the screen leaving you no room the see auto-corrections, suggestions, etc., and if you move to another field using the onscreen keyboard you have no way of knowing what field that you'd be typing in unless you minimize the onscreen keyboard or switch to landscape, then you would have to tap on the field to get the onscreen keyboard to come up again. That's too much work for a text/forum/Facebook/email freak like myself.

-The 512 MB of RAM shouldn't be a deal breaker seeing that the D3 is shipping with Gingerbread which does a good job on memory management. The D3 should get Ice Cream Sandwich, which will do a better job than Gingerbread on memory management, by March of next year.

Edit:

-Battery Life is important. The Droid 3 Should have decent battery life as compared to it's 4G LTE-enabled brother.

Last edited:

Maverick0984

Reaction score

-4G is not a problem for me, as I have a 4G LTE mobile hotspot and my city will be getting 4G LTE turn on July 21. If I need LTE, I can just turn on the hotspot. I also hear that cities that have 4G LTE turned on are getting faster 3G speeds thanks to the increased bandwidth.

-I have to have a physical keyboard. Some people have no problem speed typing on a virtual keyboard but my thumbs and index finger begin to turn red after constantly tapping on glass. Also, when you are using a virtual keyboard in portrait mode, which I use like 50% of the time, the onscreen keyboard takes up like 90% of the screen leaving you no room the see auto-corrections, suggestions, etc., and if you move to another field using the onscreen keyboard you have no way of knowing what field that you'd be typing in unless you minimize the onscreen keyboard or switch to landscape, then you would have to tap on the field to get the onscreen keyboard to come up again. That's too much work for a text/forum/Facebook/email freak like myself.

-The 512 MB of RAM shouldn't be a deal breaker seeing that the D3 is shipping with Gingerbread which does a good job on memory management. The D3 should get Ice Cream Sandwich, which will do a better job than Gingerbread on memory management, by March of next year.

Edit:

-Battery Life is important. The Droid 3 Should have decent battery life as compared to it's 4G LTE-enabled brother.

This. I just don't understand why that doesn't get mentioned more. It's even worse in landscape, the keyboard is the whole darn screen.

Vito.a

Reaction score
The big thing for me will be battery life.

I have the extended battery in my Droid 2. If Neither of them have extended batteries, I won't be buying either of them.

Does anyone know of any extended batteries for either of them?

I always just buy a second battery for my phone. That way you don't need the bulging door.
On eBay the standard batteries are usually under $10.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are we sure a device with only 512 will get icecream sandwich? Droid didn't get gingerbread it only has 256.

Sent from my fascinate

Raptor007

Reaction score
Nothing is certain, but, Google did emphasize the need for Mfg's and Carriers to keep the updates rolling for 18 months. Of course the caveat was where hardware supports it. Still I would expect a phone launching now to be able to run ICS with 512MB.

akhi216

Reaction score
Are we sure a device with only 512 will get icecream sandwich? Droid didn't get gingerbread it only has 256.

Sent from my fascinate

The og Droid X (among other phones) only has 512 MB of RAM and it has Gingerbread as we speak. It would be extremely foolish to release a phone that isn't upgradable within a year of launch.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine any phones with single core and 512 ram getting updated past gingerbread. Verizon has released plenty of those phones recently. But the fact that the Droid 3 has a dual core may be an indicator that it will get ICS. Hopefully ICS isn't full of memory intensive 3d interface crap.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Edit:

This. I just don't understand why that doesn't get mentioned more. It's even worse in landscape, the keyboard is the whole darn screen.

This is a valid point. But I just tried with Swype. It doesnt do that. Maybe the stock keyboard or other keyboards do that but Swype doesnt. Or maybe its cuz I have a 4.3" phone...

The whole screen isnt the keyboard, but you cant see what you're replying to anymore in landscape. So I understand about landscape.

Maverick0984

Reaction score

Edit:

This is a valid point. But I just tried with Swype. It doesnt do that. Maybe the stock keyboard or other keyboards do that but Swype doesnt. Or maybe its cuz I have a 4.3" phone...

The whole screen isnt the keyboard, but you cant see what you're replying to anymore in landscape. So I understand about landscape.

This is what I meant. The whole screen is the keyboard + typing area in landscape and is huge chunk in portrait. You no longer see the website/form/app you were originally typing in. The size of the screen or app has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score
I can't imagine any phones with single core and 512 ram getting updated past gingerbread. Verizon has released plenty of those phones recently. But the fact that the Droid 3 has a dual core may be an indicator that it will get ICS. Hopefully ICS isn't full of memory intensive 3d interface crap.

Can you fathom the Droid Charge (single-core, 512 MB of RAM)? getting ICS

darkmatter

Reaction score
Isn't the d3 going to be the first phone actually released with gingerbread?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Can you fathom the Droid Charge (single-core, 512 MB of RAM)? getting ICS

Well it depends on what ICS entails, but the word on the street is that it is only for dual core devices. I can't imagine the Droid Charge getting ICS because it has the same internals as the Fascinate.