Droid 2 screen not unlocking issue

lucey

Reaction score
After u don't touch ur phone for a bit the screen goes dark or u can turn the screen off yourself with the bottom on the top right. Well lately I click to button to turn on my screen and nothing will happen. Sometimes it will ewntually light up after like a minute, or if I click it repetitively every couple seconds. Other time it will all of a suddem start powering on as if it had been turned off (which i hadn't had it turned off nor did I have low battery) the phone rebooting itself could be due to my repetitive clicking of the screen button. Anyone else have this problem? It's driving me insane. The phone is 3 months old, it shouldn't be doing this especially considering it's a smart phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Do you use an antivirus or task killer? Have you installed any new apps recently? Do you over or under clock your phone?

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
No anti virus or task killer. What do u mean when u say over or under clock it? And I was thinking it might be an app too but ny mom has the same phone and she's had the issue too. Not as bad or as frequent aa mine happens but it is happening to her. And she doesn't use the phone much so she has very few apps.

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
Should I get an anti virus? Or do you know of ant good virus scanning apps so I can see if I have one?

louy99

Reaction score
Mine does this too. A lot of peoples D2 does this. Its a bit annoying but I live with it. Mine was doing this often. Then I uninstalled my antivirus and it didn't do it as much. I happens once a week on my phone. Is your phone rooted?

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
My phone did this for 15 minutes this morning before I finally took the case off and took the battery out because the screen wouldn't turn on. This is getting incredibly annoying and seems to be a common problem from what I can tell.

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
My phone isn't rooted. But beside the not unlocking issue, today my phone randomly turned itself off an back on on me. I was in the middle of typing a text message, probably half full battery or something, and as I was typing it just turned itself off then immediately started turning back on. This is getting extremely annoying considering how its a "smart" phone. I could buy a 20 dollar flip phone and it wouldn't do this ....but then of course I would get extremely bored haha.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
My phone isn't rooted. But beside the not unlocking issue, today my phone randomly turned itself off an back on on me. I was in the middle of typing a text message, probably half full battery or something, and as I was typing it just turned itself off then immediately started turning back on. This is getting extremely annoying considering how its a "smart" phone. I could buy a 20 dollar flip phone and it wouldn't do this ....but then of course I would get extremely bored haha.

Sounds like a hardware issue to me, however if you cant replicate it in front of a verizon sales person they wont do anything about it. See if you can find some way to replicate it and show it to verizon or just get used to it.

raven1911

Reaction score
Me and my wife are having the same issues as well. Anyone take their phones back and get new ones because of this issue?

blaisedinsd

Reaction score
I am wondering if the people with this problem have ever used the no lock app?

For me this isn't a problem I can live with so I been trtying to figure a solution.

Uninstalling no lock and wiping data and cache seemed to work so far.

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
Never used no lock but wiping data and cache- does that erase any of my stuff on my phone that I want to keep? And how do I do it?

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
And also, are you saying no lock was bad?

blaisedinsd

Reaction score
Yes it does. I do it with bootstrap recovery, but I think you can do it with stock recovery also.

You can restore with titanium backup or my backup root. If your not rooted.....I think google restores your apps but not your data.

I am not sure if no lock is the cause or not, but so far so good. I haven't had the issue come back.

blaisedinsd

Reaction score
Well ......i had the problem again. I restored a backup of liberty rom though, stock still has not had the issue. I was running stock for several days with no issues, but half a day on liberty and it shows up...maybe it was something in my backup, no lock was not installed but I don't know if the backup was clean (I believe I installed no lock when I first loaded up Liberty Rom and this backup was based on that install).....i should try a fresh liberty install.

Anyway I saw somewhere a factory reset was recommended as a fix, and it seems to be good so far.

Update: A fresh install on Liberty Rom seems to have fixed the issue as well. It seems to me that no lock caused the problem on my phone, and the problem persisted even after uninstalling the no lock app. My wifes D2 I think is having this issue also and she used no lock. If I start having this issue again I will update this post, but so far so good. Bugs that happen randomly like this are the biggest pains. I couldn't even use my phone and started using my blackberry. Now I feel I can confidently use my D2 again.

So I believe the fix is: Don't use the No Lock app. If you have ever used it uninstalling it won't fix it, you need to wipe your phone.

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
Never used no lock so that can't be the cause of my issue. I've never done a reset nor do I know how. And also if I did one I k ow you said something about apps and data, so what would I lose? For example I have a notepad app with tons of different notes and reminders and to dos, etc. So my back up would keep the app but lose all the notes (data)? Basically, what do I need to worry about losing if I choose to do a factory restore? Also, how do i do it?