Help! DROID 2 voice issues.

AJN11

Reaction score
Have had the DROID 2 for a few months now and am just trying to figure out all the bells and whistles, but I did something I can't seem to undo.

I was fiddling with the various voice command features and somehow made the phone "read" everything out to me. For example when I go to the home screen the "synth" voice says "home". When I click on email it says "email clicked, email". It does this for anything I click on.

The problem is that it only reads out the particular item and doesnt open the application. When I hit the "settings" icon on the all application screen it says "settings" but doesn't open the feature.

I moved the "settings" shortcut to the Home screen and the features will open up, but when I press "Voice input and output" all it does is highlight the line in red and the synth voice says "voice input and output".

I can't even turn the unit off. When I push the off button, the phone options screen comes up, but when I touch the "Power off" command, it jst says the words and highlights the line.

Pulled & reinstalled the battery. No change.

How can I get rid of this and get it back to normal operation?

The unit hasn't been rooted or otherwise tinkered with.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

OP
A

AJN11

Reaction score
Figured it out right after I posted this.

I used the keyboard to navigate to the Accessibility screen and turned off the "Voice Readout" feature.

Maybe I'm not such an ignoramus, after all. dancedroid

[email protected]

Reaction score
Accessibility Issue

I discovered that if you open "settings" and then go to "accessibility", you have to tap on "accessibility" twice quickly, then it will open up the accessibility menu. Then you have to tap on the "accessibility" to uncheck it and also uncheck "Voice Readouts", maybe twice to uncheck it.

So there is a way to undo this, but this function is a real PITA. It should not be so difficult to undo or correct this, and it should not lock you out of normal operation and menus.

How did you get to the keyboard to do this?

I used the keyboard to navigate to the Accessibility screen and turned off the "Voice Readout" feature.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Just an FYI. You didn't need to use the physical keyboard to get there. You could of just tapped your settings and scrolled down to accessibility. But you got to it that's all that matters.;)

OP
A

AJN11

Reaction score

Just an FYI. You didn't need to use the physical keyboard to get there. You could of just tapped your settings and scrolled down to accessibility. But you got to it that's all that matters.;)

That was the problem. Nothing would open when I tapped it. All it did was just highlight it. Either way, it's all good now.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Droid Accesiblity Issues...

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have a Droid X, and there is no physical keyboard. Finding out that you have to tap the "Accesibility" menu twice quickly was a good discovery, but just the same, it should be as easy to get out of that function as it was to get into it.

Thanks all,

Burt

That was the problem. Nothing would open when I tapped it. All it did was just highlight it. Either way, it's all good now.

mikeselltx

Reaction score
Accessibility and Voice Readout help

:icon_ banana:Thank you so much for your help turning off voice readout. I turned it on just playing with the features and I could not turn it off. After finding this post, I did what was recommended and it worked. I love my Droid 2 and so far, this has been my only issue.
Thanks a milliion!!!!
Lisa