Droid 2 restarts itself after powreing down

eliotb

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has already been raised in another thread, but I haven't seen it. After installing Gingerbread 2.3.3, my Droid 2 frequently restarts itself after I power it off. Verizon Tech Service knows of this bug but has nothing to offer other than a factory refurbish replacement. I've done factory reset, eliminated app killers, clear the cache regularly, and have tried uninstalling apps. None of these steps has stopped the restarts. Are there other fixes that I'm missing?

Thanks,
eliotb

tomatofoot

Reaction score
There is one fix that i know of....upgrade to the droid 4.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
E

eliotb

Reaction score
I will when my next upgrade rolls around in Aug. Any other fixes that anyone can suggest?

pcpilot309

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it will not restart if you power down from the locked screen

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

OP
E

eliotb

Reaction score
I tried powering down from locked screen but it still restarted immediately. Any other suggestions out there?

Last edited:

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I've had the same issue of restarts since upgrading to 2.3.3 5-6 months ago. It's not the only issue I've had however. It's frustrating to have your wi-fi cut out, random shut downs, and of course the unwanted restart. I was thinking of doing a factory reset (pain vs. benefit still being evaluated), but may not now that you say it didn't work. When I called Verizon Tech Support they didn't appear to be aware of the problem (few months ago). I also stopped in to a store location and they just recomended a factory reset. I'm very frustrated and may never buy another Android device. I used to be so happpy with it, but now, not so much.... :angry:

OP
E

eliotb

Reaction score
They always tell you to do a factory reset when they don't have an answer! This might work for some problems, but not for the random start up. The Verizon Tech Support guy I spoke with was well aware of the problems you list and actually went down a list of Gingerbread upgrade problems, including some that I haven't experienced. He was not surprised when I said that factory reset didn't solve the start up problem. He said that several of the older Motorola phones have been experiencing various problems since the G'bread upgrade, and his only advice was either to replace with a factory restore or wait until you can upgrade to a new phone. It seems that there is a particularly messy combination of Gingerbread and Motorola software that causes Moto phones to experience these problems more than other brands.

doublejack

Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread, but I am posting because I believe I found a "solution" to this problem. At the very least I found a useable workaround.

So, my sister had a Droid 2 and it did this to her repeatedly. The final straw was when she attended a wedding and the ceremony was interrupted because she got a phone call (from me ironically LOL), and of course the phone had powered itself back on after she shut it down. She was so upset she gave me the Droid 2 and paid almost $1k for an iPhone (she was a year from being up for her upgrade, so had to pay full retail).

When my sister owned the phone it was fully stock. She's not very tech savvy. The first thing I did when I got the phone was SBF it back to factory original, root the phone, and then install Cyanogen mod 7. I'm now running CM 7.2 RC1 and guess what... when I power the phone off, it STAYS powered off.

So, this may not be the news everyone wanted to hear, but rooting and installing a custom rom on your phone will fix this problem. It also fixed several other issues she experienced, such as unresponsive and overresponsive (as in extra letters, or getting letters without even touching the screen) input while using the soft keyboard. The phone used to compose texts all by itself, launch apps on its own, have apps force close with errors repeatedly, etc. while she owned it. With CM on it? It never happens.

I know of several people who were extremely dissatisfied with their D2... but all of them were running the stock verizon roms and just letting upgrades happen as they were pushed down. Rooting and customizing this phone has made it so much better to use. As a bonus side effect, no motoblur means it runs WAY faster than it used to, as well. I'm now due for an upgrade myself and I want a 4G phone, but I'm holding off because none of the current Verizon phones are tempting enough for me to discard the D2.

OP
E

eliotb

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks very much for this information. It's still quite useful as I haven't found a work around yet, other than putting phone to sleep. Good to now that rooting with CM7 solved the power on problem. I will have to try that. Did you use one of the single-step booting routines, or go through the individual steps? I too am due for an upgrade this summer and have been looking at current Verizon 4G phones. I agree that none seem better than D2, other than 4G.

I realize this is an older thread, but I am posting because I believe I found a "solution" to this problem. At the very least I found a useable workaround.

So, my sister had a Droid 2 and it did this to her repeatedly. The final straw was when she attended a wedding and the ceremony was interrupted because she got a phone call (from me ironically LOL), and of course the phone had powered itself back on after she shut it down. She was so upset she gave me the Droid 2 and paid almost $1k for an iPhone (she was a year from being up for her upgrade, so had to pay full retail).

When my sister owned the phone it was fully stock. She's not very tech savvy. The first thing I did when I got the phone was SBF it back to factory original, root the phone, and then install Cyanogen mod 7. I'm now running CM 7.2 RC1 and guess what... when I power the phone off, it STAYS powered off.

So, this may not be the news everyone wanted to hear, but rooting and installing a custom rom on your phone will fix this problem. It also fixed several other issues she experienced, such as unresponsive and overresponsive (as in extra letters, or getting letters without even touching the screen) input while using the soft keyboard. The phone used to compose texts all by itself, launch apps on its own, have apps force close with errors repeatedly, etc. while she owned it. With CM on it? It never happens.

I know of several people who were extremely dissatisfied with their D2... but all of them were running the stock verizon roms and just letting upgrades happen as they were pushed down. Rooting and customizing this phone has made it so much better to use. As a bonus side effect, no motoblur means it runs WAY faster than it used to, as well. I'm now due for an upgrade myself and I want a 4G phone, but I'm holding off because none of the current Verizon phones are tempting enough for me to discard the D2.

doublejack

Reaction score
Rooting

First, you're welcome for the info! I'm always happy to assist someone.

As far as rooting the Droid 2 and installing CM7 on it, for me it was easy. You're probably running a gingerbread based (2.3.x) version of android, so the the steps you need to follow are:

1. Gain root access.
2. Apply a bootstrap
3. Flash CM7

Step 1 can now be done even if you're running gingerbread, and since CM7 has gone to a gingerbread kernel base the whole process should be easier than when I did it. I can find some links if you want me to that go into detail about the specific steps.

OP
E

eliotb

Reaction score
Thanks for the instuctions.
I received an OTA update to Gingerbread 2.3.4 yesterday. The few times I have tried powering down since then have been successful. Maybe this update resolves the restart problem? Will update here once I have more data.

First, you're welcome for the info! I'm always happy to assist someone.

As far as rooting the Droid 2 and installing CM7 on it, for me it was easy. You're probably running a gingerbread based (2.3.x) version of android, so the the steps you need to follow are:

1. Gain root access.
2. Apply a bootstrap
3. Flash CM7

Step 1 can now be done even if you're running gingerbread, and since CM7 has gone to a gingerbread kernel base the whole process should be easier than when I did it. I can find some links if you want me to that go into detail about the specific steps.

Squeak87

Reaction score
Verizon just released an OTA update for the Droid 2 to fix the "auto on" problem as it is known. I just downloaded it, the update is to 2.3.4

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Verizon just released an OTA update for the Droid 2 to fix the "auto on" problem as it is known. I just downloaded it, the update is to 2.3.4

Yes. Just received the OTA update to 2.3.4 on morning of 4/16. According to what I read online this is intended to fix the problem. Very happy Google decided to fix this issue. It's gone on too long...

Squeak87

Reaction score
Everything seems to be working smoothly so far, no issues with my D2 rebooting itself. My camera would not work for a few hours but I do not know if that was related to the update or my phone being old.

OP
E

eliotb

Reaction score
Everything seems to be working smoothly so far, no issues with my D2 rebooting itself. My camera would not work for a few hours but I do not know if that was related to the update or my phone being old.

For me too. No more auto reboots, no other issues. Camera works fine. Glad to see this issue resolved. Thanks to all for helpful comments, and to Verizon for putting out the update.