Droid 2 Otterbox Commuter Case Review

OP
A

Anedae

Reaction score
Well ..... I've been using this case since I got it... however it has been used lightly. I am very careful with my phone. However, this morning the top part of my case broke in the corner. I will be contacting otterbox to see what they'll do about it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

zero7404

Reaction score
Well ..... I've been using this case since I got it... however it has been used lightly. I am very careful with my phone. However, this morning the top part of my case broke in the corner. I will be contacting otterbox to see what they'll do about it.

did it drop on that corner or by itself ?
is this the bezel around the screen or the main part of the case ...

Kimo91

Reaction score
My new otterbox commuter case came in and I'm loving it so far...but from what I can tell so far the only drawback or design flaw is the top housing doesn't sit good on my Droid 2...lacking another clip on the left side to truely hold it down tightly

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

zero7404

Reaction score
i just recently had a mishap and got reminded the importance of covered ports/keys....

soda glass tipped over on the table phone got splashed. not a lot but enough went in the nooks/ crannies of the verizon case im using.

anyway im using the ext batt without the batt door and quickly pulled off the case and battery, then did my cleanup

could have been worse for me but fluid didnt get anywhere except the outside surfaces so im ok.

but in cleaning the phone i found that the tabs on my case are actually starting to leave marks on the main bezel around the keyboard. dont really like that

is the otterbox hard to get on/does it scuff any surfaces on the phone?

posted via android

ellsee

Reaction score
Just got my Otterbox.

The case is pretty good, in my opinion. I've noticed the flimsiness that people have remarked about, and don't mind it too much..

until today.

It's easy for stuff to get under that part and scratch your phone. To my dismay, there are a few scratches on my Droid now..only under that "flimsy" part. They're very minor speckles, but still..after a 30$ case? I just put a piece of tape on the edge of my Droid and under the edge of that part of the case for now, in hopes it'll be fine from now on. :/.

Otherwise, case is fab. Well, the back part is amazing.

Ironic how the tabs didn't scratch my phone at all, yet the part with no tabs did haha. Note to others; put a piece of tape on the left side of the Droid's bezel if you choose to use this case!

Last edited:
OP
A

Anedae

Reaction score
As an update. I received a replacement case from otterbox, but thud one seemed not to fit very well. Im returning both cases and getting my money back

Syko

Reaction score
Anyone know if there will be a holster coming out for this case? I ordered mine today so hopefully I'll get it in the mail soon cause my new job starts next Friday with Boeing and I know I'm going to need this case in that enviroment lol

Here's my take on the Otterbox case (Kimo, a partial answer to your question lies within):

I have used 2 cases on this phone before purchasing the Otterbox. My first case was the Snap on Gel Cover from Verizon. As seen here: Review: Verizon Snap-On Gel Cover for the Motorola Droid 2

I needed a holster so I gave my GF that gel case & picked up the Holster/Shell combo case for myself. As seen here: Review: Verizon Shell/Holster Combo case for the Motorola Droid 2

Both of these cases are pretty decent. I liked the feel of the gel case but it wouldn't fit in the holster. The case that came with the holster was thin and after seeing a few of my co-workers break their shell/holster combo case, I knew it was only a matter of time before mine went too. So I picked up the Otterbox in hopes that I could get better quality & better protection but still be able to use it with my holster.

The case comes with what they refer to as "3 layer protection". Screen protector, silicon inner shell & hard outer shell.

The screen protector is a full screen protector. I previously had the generic Verizon one which doesn't cover top to bottom. The generic one does the job but you realize how much it sucks once you replace it with the Otterbox version. The screen is so much clearer and vibrant. I can attest to the on & off installation but mine only took about 3 times before I got it lined up. Lucky I guess.

This silicone inner shell has a nice feel. The silicon comes thru where the hard shell breaks away at the middle. All the buttons and ports are covered by this silicon and there are pull-away tabs that reveal the ports for charging and headphone jack.

The hard shell is the where the case starts to fall short for me. It has a nice finish to it and it's made to be smooth so it will slide in & out of your pocket with ease. However, for me, that's also a downfall. I have nearly dropped it twice while holding it my palm. It literally wants to slide off my hand. As others here have noted, the tabs where it locks onto the phone seem to be improperly aligned. When you press or squeeze the unit slightly, you hear a "snap" where those tabs make contact with the keyboard side of the phone. It's a little difficult to explain but it's quite annoying.

On a positive note for the hard shell, Otterbox took into consideration the space our thumbs need for that top row on the keyboard. The shell is recessed in on that side to allow for easier access. A nice touch. Only drawback is that it takes away from the symmetry of the case and as a result, the left side resembles the unfinished look of the bottom of the Droid 1.

For those keeping score, it did in fact fit in the Verizon holster. The case makes the phone thicker than the Shell/Holster combo case but a tad thinner than the Gel case. Using the holster is tight but, thanks to the smooth finish of the case, it fits and that is my current set up. Because of the tight fit, the snapping/clicking noise mentioned earlier is noticed every time I place the phone in or remove it from the holster. At first I thought I had broken the holster or case when I heard it.

Overall, I like the case. I don't think it feels cheaply made or flimsy but I do wish Otterbox had come up with a way to allow the easier access to the top keyboard buttons without sacrificing the fit or look of the case to do it but it is something I can live with. I also wish there was some sort of texture on the back side to give it some grip but I am learning to hold it differently and use the silicon on the sides for grip.

Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Here's my quick video of the case with the holster:
[video=youtube;B1zoLcc0tME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zoLcc0tME[/video]

zero7404

Reaction score
fone almost had a fatality a week ago, so i decided to buy this case as well for its ability to protect buttons and ports from liquid ....

i got it today, put it on, dont see anything bad about it. it fits nicely and its even got a recesses edge along the left of the screen, for getting to that top row of keys when ur using the keyboard.

so far, i havent yet dropped it so cant comment on its defensive characteristics. but the smooth plastic feel on the outside is much better for getting it into/out of a pocket.

also keeping all the buttons concealed keeps contact wear low on the phone surfaces, so i like that.

posted via android

zero7404

Reaction score
broke on first fall. 2 ft onto lenoleum floor ..

screen bezel popped off, bottom tab almost completely cracked off of bezel.

Edit: i recommend the verizon snap-on gel case over the otterbox. its designed so that the tabs that snap on the fone body arehard plastic that blend into a rubberized molded shell .... $ 20 bucks and its been available for a while before the otterbox. tells u something doesnt it?

posted via android

Reaction score
My e-mail to Otterbox's customer service today will serve as a review:

I just received my Otterbox Commuter Case for my Motorola Droid 2, and
am very happy with the case itself. I was, however, unable to put the
screen protector on without getting a lot of dust and lint onto the
inner surface of the screen protector. All that dust and lint is now
trapped between the screen protector and the screen itself, and I'm
really nervous that it's going to scratch the screen, in addition to
preventing a clear view of the screen. Having said that, I find this
screen protector to be so much more responsive than the previous one I
had (a Wrapsol Ultra), and it would be a shame to have to switch it
out for a lesser product.

I know that you don't sell screen protectors separately from your
cases, but I was wondering if you could make an exception, and how
much you would ask for it? (I'm assuming you won't be willing to just
send me a replacement screen protector since the problem was probably
a result of my ineptitude at putting it on rather than a defective
product, though if you are willing to send me a replacement, I would
certainly love that!) Please let me know what my options are.

I will post their response here when I get one!

zero7404

Reaction score
the screen protector is a freebe ... i dont think theyd care much ...

if u must use one they are dirt cheap and available anywhere.

its the one useless accessory the industry still makes money on even with users that have highly scratch-resistant gorilla glass phones

posted via android

Reaction score
Received the following response:

I would be happy to send you a screen protector for your case at no charge. Please send me your full name, address, and phone number and I will order one for you.

Score one for OtterBox's customer service!

zero7404

Reaction score
i notified otterbox of my problem as well, they sent me a new warranty replacement even though i bought from amazon. they didn't want the old one in return. so now i have 1.5 commuter cases for my phone (one piece of my old commuter case is busted, so that's 1/2 a case) ....

Reaction score
I have now dropped my Otterbox'd Droid 2 twice in the last week (what a klutz I am, I know), and both times, the back portion of the case came off as the phone hit the ground, landing several inches away from the phone (which itself landed on its exposed back side both times). Both the case and the phone itself seem fine, though, so as far as I'm concerned, the Otterbox has been doing its job.