Droid 2 Otterbox Commuter Case Review

Anedae

Reaction score
Just received this case from Otterbox after 2 weeks of waiting. Initial impression: It was worth it.

First off, the case comes in a fairly simple cardboard packaging that includes:

Back Case
Back Case Rubbery insert
Front Case
Screen Protector
Mini microfiber cloth
small plastic bubble remover

There are no written instructions at all, only pictures of step-by-step instructions. Personally, I would have liked some written bits of information because the tiny low resolution pictures kinda suck.

When I first held the case in my hand, I was a bit surprised by the thickness. It's a lot thicker than I imagined it would be, though that is a good thing, I think.

(Fairly) Exact Case Dimensions when on phone:
4.82" x 2.54" x 0.73"
or
12.25cm x 6.45cm x 1.85cm

Personally, I'm gonna get a Droid X leather case by Reiko, since the dimensions are fairly close.

Installation was not too hard even without anything written. I had a little trouble with the screen protector, since that was the first to go on the phone. The cloth worked, but my own microfiber cloth worked a lot better. The tiny little square they sent is too small for large fingers like mine.

The screen protector was a little difficult because it is dry application, so it took a good 5 minutes of pulling it up and re-sticking it to get it near perfect.

The instructions say to remove the rubber insert, but I found it easier to leave the insert inside the back case and put the phone into it that way. Installation of the back of the case was really easy and feels very snug. I don't feel much wiggle room in it at all.

The port covers are well designed and fit flush to the case when they are in, and come out very easy so you can use the ports. The rubber over top of the volume, camera, and power buttons feels nice. I had no trouble with the volume or camera buttons, but the power button seemed to need a good bit more force to get it to recognize. Likely that will just take some getting used to.

Installation of the front case was very easy as well, it simply snaps on the top. Here is the largest drawback I see with this case. It only snaps onto the phone on 3 of the 4 sides. The top, bottom, and volume/camera side of the phone clip on underneath and feel secure. However, the keyboard side has been altered to accommodate for the keyboard and does NOT clip on. This results in that section of the case feeling very flimsy and prone to catching on something. I really hope that isn't the case, and only time will tell. The plastic the front is made from does seem very sturdy, but on my case I can feel that section move up and down with pressure and I don't like the feeling.

About the changes made to the front section: The side of it has been shaped from /| kind of a shape to < kind. This allows the top set of keys to be easily accessed and used. I had absolutely no trouble with the top row of keys.

Couple more observations. Upon putting the case into my (admittedly dirty) pocket it came out with lint and all kinds of bits of whatnot stuck to the rubber section of the case that shows. It looked really bad, so clean pockets are a must.

Also, the case doesn't have a very tacky feel to it. It feels a little more slippery than the phone itself, unless you grip the rubber insert on the side.

If you have any questions or requests for pictures, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well you already beat me to posting pictures for it. One thing that frustrated me a lot was the application of the screen protector, for me it was so difficult that i ended up ruining the screen protector, it got too much "stuff" on it, little dots of tiny debris started showing up on it so I can no longer use without seeing those dots there for the lifetime of my phone.

EDIT: Regarding the size of the case on the phone, i like the case but it does tend to feel like a bulky tank now. The case feels of very high quality, and the buttons are a lot easier to press. The only button people might have difficulty with is the camera button, you have to pay closer attention to that secondary click now.

Last edited:

ellsee

Reaction score
Great review, you really covered everything haha.

Probably a tad early to inquire, but does the case seem harsh on your phone? I know other cases have been known to inevitably leave scratches on people's phones and it would be unfortunate if this case were to also. But this may be something only time will tell =P.

Thank you for the review!

OP
A

Anedae

Reaction score
I have not yet seen any issue of the case being rough on it at all. The top part might cause problems from being loose, but the bottom part is lined with the rubber insert. I am quite happy with the case so far

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
A

Anedae

Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I don't have an extended battery to try, sorry

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

PsyberEMT

Reaction score
Yes, it will work with the ext battery if you omit the extended battery cover...the ext battery sits flush with the rear of the device. I tried tossing it around a bit to see if I could jar the battery loose without the cover, but no problems...working fine for me.

jhollender

Reaction score
I am returning my Otterbox Cummuter case. I was very disappointed with the fit of the top part of the case. It leaves a big gap on the lower left side, and when you slide the keyboard out, you have to push on that flimsy part. Seems like bad engineering. I think it would get snagged in my pocket also. I will be going back to the Seido Innocase - seemed a lot better after comparing the two.

Reaction score
Definitely disappointed with the otterbox, its bulky/oversized, feels cheap, covers all the buttons on the phone with its own, and the piece that clips over the front of the phone feels fragile and not snapped into place, when you push on it, it clicks against the back half of the case making an annoying sound. The top row of the hardware keyboard is still accessible but there's still some obstruction. Not the case for me, sending it back.

Here's my review from another thread

camsta04

Reaction score
I just got my Commuter Series case too, and I love it so far. To expand on some of the points brought up.

The screen protector; a little tough to apply and get right but like any dry application protector, a little patience goes a long way. If you rush and have to pull the protector up repeatedly you will inevitably get the lint on the inside. If you take your time it should work fine. I have one spot that had a dust speck but it's near the edge and covered by the front plate, no worries.

The front plate feeling flimsy; true but for a good reason. That side of the plate cannot be clipped to the phone. It would interfere with the keyboard, and Otterbox did a great job of designing a beveled edge to the case to allow full access to the top row of the qwerty keyboard. This is the main complaint of most cases, and Otterbox addressed it. The flimsiness is a byproduct of that design, and in my opinion, the lesser of two evils. I have found I do not experience the flimsiness in my normal phone use, and have manipulate the case in an unnatural way to do so, but time will be the true test to see if that changes.

For now I'm more than happy with this case, exactly what I expected/wanted.

roboots21

Reaction score
I just got my otterbox case .. like it so far but I need to look at what it is going to take to make it work in the car dock. I modded my siedo case to work in it so this one *should* work. I hope lol. Ill post an update on my results :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

standard.

Reaction score
so the extended battery would fit with the otterbox as long as we dont use the battery cover?

arrjaytea

Reaction score
The front plate feeling flimsy; true but for a good reason. That side of the plate cannot be clipped to the phone. It would interfere with the keyboard, and Otterbox did a great job of designing a beveled edge to the case to allow full access to the top row of the qwerty keyboard. This is the main complaint of most cases, and Otterbox addressed it. The flimsiness is a byproduct of that design, and in my opinion, the lesser of two evils. I have found I do not experience the flimsiness in my normal phone use, and have manipulate the case in an unnatural way to do so, but time will be the true test to see if that changes.

For now I'm more than happy with this case, exactly what I expected/wanted.

I'm going to echo these sentiments. The so called "flimsiness" I've seen as the major complaint seems absurd to me - it feels every bit as sturdy as my previous case (Innocase), and in order for me to get it to feel weak, I also need to "manipulate the case in an unnatural way."

Solid access to the keyboard, love the covered ports and buttons, and in general it just feels solid to me.

My biggest complaint is it's just slightly too bulky to fit into my car dock, however I've also now remedied this:

Cradle Holder - Universal Finger Grip for Cell Phone - RAM Mount (U)

In any event, I respect everyone's right to their own opinion being based on what they expect/want to get out of the case - so hey, it might not be for everyone. For me, I'm quite pleased, and would recommend to others.

Also, I failed miserably at applying the screen protector. Otterbox offered to send me a three pack of replacements for free. Just throwing that out there.

Kimo91

Reaction score
Anyone know if there will be a holster coming out for this case? I ordered mine today so hopefully I'll get it in the mail soon cause my new job starts next Friday with Boeing and I know I'm going to need this case in that enviroment lol