Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, three factory resets and 4 attempts later I finally got it to update. Rooting again took about five minutes.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Canadroid

Reaction score
Well, three factory resets and 4 attempts later I finally got it to update. Rooting again took about five minutes.

Curious--what was the snag that forced you to FDR three times?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Curious--what was the snag that forced you to FDR three times?

Oh its a long story. I was running 928droids black glass x but when ever I flashed back to my stock nandroid I wasn't able to pull the update unless I did and fdr. But for some reason it was failing the update. I kept attempting it until I had a little scare where the update failed and the phone turned back on with no launcher. Eventually I flashed the stock nandroid removed root and then did and fdr and that did it.

cdipier2

Reaction score
I got my update last night then rerooted this morning. No problems whatsoever

thetexan525

Reaction score
I know the update was/is rolling out at different times, but every time I try to check for the update I get a message: "check for updates is unavailable at this time. Try again later". This has been showing the past several days, and doesn't seem good as in the past its always shown "your system is up to date" or whatever. Anyone else have this issue or know anything about it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

pissedoffgokart

Reaction score
Strange update problem

I updated to 2.3.20 last night and after performing a function check of my apps I found that neither the stock player nor Mixzing will play my MP4 videos. Both will play the videos recorded by the phone, but not the videos I had watched just an hour before the update. I unmounted then remounted the SD card, rebooted, tried reloading the videos from my computer. Same result. The very mp4 files I watched an hour ago no longer play. Period. Instead I get an error stating that "the device cannot play video file". Anyone else have this issue? Could it be update related?

**Just tried a hard reset, to no avail.**

plasticmajestic

Reaction score
I updated to 2.3.20 last night and after performing a function check of my apps I found that neither the stock player nor Mixzing will play my MP4 videos. Both will play the videos recorded by the phone, but not the videos I had watched just an hour before the update. I unmounted then remounted the SD card, rebooted, tried reloading the videos from my computer. Same result. The very mp4 files I watched an hour ago no longer play. Period. Instead I get an error stating that "the device cannot play video file". Anyone else have this issue? Could it be update related?

There was a post over on MDW about this, basically some files were stripped from /system. I can't post the link but it goes something like this:

I got it working again last night. There were some additional missing files in /system/lib/dsp/..
720p_h264vdec_sn.dll64P
720p_mp4vdec_sn.dll64P
720p_mp4venc_sn.dll64P

Once those were replaced as well, mp4's started working again.

pissedoffgokart

Reaction score
Sorry I'm dumb sometimes, what is MDW? I wonder if you need to have the phone rooted to do this? But thanks, there is hope!

****Found it but, I think it has to be rooted to fix. Freaking Verizon crackheads, I would trade the V-Navigator for VIDEO!!!!***********

papelet

Reaction score
Idk if is just me but after the upgrade I feel blur smoother and a little faster, even the fb app is working better now- it was giving me problems all week-...

mrcs_jolly

Reaction score
OTA update for Droid 2

I just received the OTA 2.3 update this morning on my droid 2. There was the option to install it now or later. I opted to install it later once I find out the consequences, if any, of installing it on a rooted droid 2. So my question is, is it safe to install the 2.3, gingerbread, update on a rooted droid 2. When i had a rooted droid 1 and was advised not to install any OTAs while rooted, I had to unroot, then do it; but that was the droid 1. thanks for your help.

dch921

Reaction score
I just received the OTA 2.3 update this morning on my droid 2. There was the option to install it now or later. I opted to install it later once I find out the consequences, if any, of installing it on a rooted droid 2. So my question is, is it safe to install the 2.3, gingerbread, update on a rooted droid 2. When i had a rooted droid 1 and was advised not to install any OTAs while rooted, I had to unroot, then do it; but that was the droid 1. thanks for your help.

This is not gingerbread. Its just a sytem update think of it like an update on a windows machine. Still same version just fixing some bugs and minor improvements.

Also you will loose root with the update but you can reroot using the same method to root in the first place.

You shouldn't have any issues running this update.

pissedoffgokart

Reaction score

There was a post over on MDW about this, basically some files were stripped from /system. I can't post the link but it goes something like this:

I got it working again last night. There were some additional missing files in /system/lib/dsp/..
720p_h264vdec_sn.dll64P
720p_mp4vdec_sn.dll64P
720p_mp4venc_sn.dll64P

Once those were replaced as well, mp4's started working again.

Well, just spoke to the big V on the issue. They, of course, knew nothing about it. Without rooting my phone there is nothing I can do. Verizon has no means to reflash the firmware (according to the sales people of course). I was able to regain playback ability by downloading the Arcviewer app but, the video quality is very poor compared to MixZing and the stock player. Hopefully others will complain and it will get fixed, or Mixzing will add their own codecs on the next update (doubtful). Love Verizon as a carrier, but damn!

plasticmajestic

Reaction score
Have you tried installing another app, maybe Act1 Video Player? That may give you mp4 support...the only other option I can think of would be to convert mp4 to another format (avi?)...

pissedoffgokart

Reaction score
Just gave it a shot, but it looks like it uses the stock Droid h.264 codec for mp4 playback as it cannot play the files either. Arcmedia works, the app must include it's own codecs but, the scaling (kinda blocky and motion's not so smooth) and sound is off. Thanks for the suggestion though. I am trying to avoid reripping and reconverting all my preprepped and previously working videos.

**Rockmedia Player gives the option for hardware or software decoding. In my case, software must be used since the hardware decoders are gone. Playback quality is as good as the old hardware codecs (IMHO). Looks to use the same codecs as Arcmedia but better scaling/sync. $10 is a little steep, but I have yet to see an ad on the trial. Still sux I need 2 seperate apps to play music and video. Hopefully Mixzing will include codecs in a future update.**