Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

microsnook

Reaction score
I guess the safe thing to do would be unroot>wait for OTA>accept update>reroot. I just don't have time to figure out unrooting at the moment.

Well from what other users gather, we dont need to unroot in order to get the update.
However, I am rooted, and I have not received any updates.

Im thinking I may need to unroot to do so... Anyone else feel this way?

According to Motorola the update hasn't gone out to everyone yet. I was rooted and received the update last night, so I don't think root status has anything to do with it. If you are running a custom ROM, that could certainly change things.

jason

Ditto. So as of now, Im waiting for the update to be pushed to me...

Im ancy!

Cloppy

Reaction score
Post update permissions are changed. After I updated I tried su and received a "permission denied" message. The files were still there, but I wasn't allowed to use them anymore.
jason

Yep you have to rerun the exploit and chmod the su file and you have root again

everstar80

Reaction score
My 3g is even better than before as well. If this is not gingerbread then i can't imagine how fast the phone will be after tha maybe this update is a test to see how well D2 can handle some of what gingerbread will look like. Is this plausible?

Hypnotic

Reaction score
I've never used the radio, so don't know, sorry :)

OK, someone smarter than me needs to check this out before unleashing to the masses. Here's the story.

I already had an update.zip in my sdcard folder (from the previous manual update).

After bumbling around for a bit, I found a file in my cache folder called "Blur_Version.2.2.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip". I said that this can't be the right file. I'm looking for a 2.3.20 file... Copied the file anyway. Bumbled all around the folder structure and couldn't find anything "better".

After installing the update this file has vanished from my cache folder, so perhaps it is actually the correct file??? I don't know. The file is posted at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10937565/Droid/Blur.zip but please use carefully.

I'm not going to post directions for how to manually update, as I'm not sure that this will work and would like someone who actually knows to test it first :)

jason

I know how to manually update I'm just wondering if I should. My concern is more emotional then actual knowledge on the matter.

Cloppy

Reaction score
My 3g is even better than before as well. If this is not gingerbread then i can't imagine how fast the phone will be after tha maybe this update is a test to see how well D2 can handle some of what gingerbread will look like. Is this plausible?

This updated the radio which can improve signal and battery. Other then that its most of their blur ui it has nothing to do with gingerbread. The blur ui is Motorolas proprietary interface looks like they just optimized it and fixed some bugs.

troutbeck27

Reaction score
OK I wanted share my experience with everyone.

The basics prior to update - Rooted D2, Stock ROM, Titanium Bakup, Root Explorer, and Droid 2 Bootstrap/recovery.

After the update I was getting root access denied with TB and RE. I turned off my D2 and removed battery, hoping this would fix the issues. No Luck.

Also wanted to add that when I turned my phone back on I had to reboot from D2 Bootstrap/recovery.

So I rerooted using the 1-2-3 easy root process, had to run it twice, but got it to work the second time.

Had to go in to TB and click problems? to allow BusyBox to be reinstalled.

Everything is up and running at the moment, and I keeping my fingers crossed.

Troutbeck27

Sippykipnip

Reaction score
So is everyone who is receiving the update getting pushed to their phone? Or able to pull from the system update menu?

Neither of this available for me now.

want a droid

Reaction score
I'm rooted running Fission 1.2.1. When I go to System Updates it just goes to a black screen. I tried rebooting and the same thing happens. Should I go to stock rom and then try?

Cloppy

Reaction score
I'm rooted running Fission 1.2.1. When I go to System Updates it just goes to a black screen. I tried rebooting and the same thing happens. Should I go to stock rom and then try?

Yes use the sbf method to get back to stock

jasnmar

Reaction score
So is everyone who is receiving the update getting pushed to their phone? Or able to pull from the system update menu?

Neither of this available for me now.

My update was pushed during the night. I clicked install later and then used the update menu when I was ready.