Droid 1 Home Screen Problems

droidonefanatic

Reaction score
Hello all, new here, I seem to be having some problems with my Droid 1, more specifically the home screen. While it force closes in apps quite a bit the more annoying thing is that when trying to exit an app, most of the time, it will freeze up, then after a few seconds it will go back to the home screen. But, none of the apps will be there, then slowly they will come back one by one. After they have all come back, the phone will be really unresponsive for about 10-20 seconds. The whole process takes about 45 seconds to a minute and its starting to get a little annoying. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Any thoughts are appreciated. My hypothesis is that I have to many apps and that some of them aren't playing nice together or something. (37 apps) (Un-rooted Droid 1, with Go Launcher Ex.)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I have a ton more experience with rooted devices but I will try anyway. Have you tried rebooting the phone and if so how often? Also, have you tried clearing cache from android recovery? Last but not least that does not sound like too many apps but it certainly depends on what they are and how much resources they require.

OP
droidonefanatic

droidonefanatic

Reaction score
I try and reboot it as much as possible considering the fact that when I am not using it, it is charging over night, which means theoretically its running all the time. But I don't remember to reboot it as much as I would like to though. Don't understand what you mean by "clearing cache from android recovery". (Sorry new to this) Most of the apps I have are like Jango, Facebook, Twitter, that sort of thing, what do you mean by, "resources they require".

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
If you hold in X (on the physical keyboard) + power from a turned off state you will get to a screen with an exclamation point. On that screen hit they search key (also on the physical keyboard) and you will now be in Android recovery where you will see an option to wipe cache. If that does not work you could try a factory reset, the only thing it this will obviously erase everything on your device. Other than those 2 options I am not sure what else to try.

And as far as the resources they require, I mean available memory/RAM. Something that the D1 is pretty short on. So in theory if they require a lot but it is not there then there could be issues.

OP
droidonefanatic

droidonefanatic

Reaction score
So I turned the phone off and held x and power and it came to the exclamation screen. By "pushing the search button on the physical keyboard" do you mean the little magnifying glass, or the little arrow you push after you typed out a text message for example? Because I've pushed both and its just sitting at that screen and even holding the power button wont do anything? What do I do?

Edit: I pulled the battery and tried it again, but no luck. Its just stuck at the exclamation point screen and won't respond to any buttons.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That's strange. It should get you there. Search for how to get to stock or Android recovery. I'll look when I get home but its going to a little while, I just got out of work.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid 1 is volume up plus camera button at the exclamation point.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
droidonefanatic said:
the more annoying thing is that when trying to exit an app, most of the time, it will freeze up, then after a few seconds it will go back to the home screen. But, none of the apps will be there, then slowly they will come back one by one. After they have all come back, the phone will be really unresponsive for about 10-20 seconds.

How many of those apps are on the sd? If it's a good number of them, that will cause this. So will a lot of widgets .

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thanks for the assistance guys. Long out of the D1 loop but I was trying.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I copied this from a post a long time ago and it seems relevant:

Switch to a different launcher app. If you are using the stock launcher, switch to Launcher Pro, ADW EX or Zeam. If already using one of those, switch to another one. I recommend Zeam as it has a very small foot print.

Reboot your phone once per day. It clears all your caches and will help.

If you have a task killer or an anti-virus app, get rid of them. They have been tied to this issue over and over in the past.

Go into settings and Battery Info. Take a look at what apps are using your battery power and see if anything looks odd there.

If you have any apps installed on the sdcard, move them back to the phone.

If you have many widgets installed, consider removing them for a while and see if lagging gets better.

Look hard that the re-sync frequency you have set for various widgets/apps.

If lagging is still an issue, do a Hard Factory Reset and re-install your apps one at a time and see how they work before installing the next one.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Glad it worked out. Especially once you got the actual instructions on how to get into recovery (My bad :sad:)

OP
droidonefanatic

droidonefanatic

Reaction score
Went back to being troublesome.

Stupid thing went back to locking up every so often. I deleted most of my apps which was one of the last resorts in my mind, besides completely wiping the phone. It didn't do anything either. I'm thinking about rooting it and seeing if that helps. I'm not rooting it solely for that purpose, I've been wanting to root my phone for quite some time. Whats been keeping me from doing it for this long is fear of bricking it. Since my two year contract is about to end I'm thinking its high time to jump on the superuser bandwagon since if I bricked it, it wouldn't really matter. Any tips for the rooting process you guys could offer? I can't decide if I want to do a "one click rooting app", or just do it myself. What do you guys think?

OP
droidonefanatic

droidonefanatic

Reaction score
I would use "Motocache1's root regardless of os" thread here in the forum to root.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

I am very new to the form and I can't seem to find that thread. Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction and/or provide a link please? :biggrin: