Does Bionic's lack of RAM matter?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The amount of ram an AP uses is not exactly the same each time it's used no, but it's usually very similar on each use. Therefore if everything you possibly do on your phone at one time does not use 100% of your ram, adding more ram will make 0 difference.

Complex multi-tasking is not something phones are used for yet, therefore large amounts of ram are not needed.

If you want your ap to run faster, you increase your cpu speed or your ram speed, not the total amount of ram.

An example is my computer, I have 12gigs of ram, completely unnecessary. I use at max, 6-7 gigs when multi-tasking like mad, photoshop, rendering, video encoding, web browsing, the list goes on, but I couldn't use all of my ram even if I wanted to. But, my rams DDR3 and it's overclocked from 1600mhz to 1800mhz, therefore, I can increase the speed at which I do things by overclocking(increasing) my CPU and RAM speed but increasing the amount of ram past the maximum usage will yield zero improvement. So I could take out 4 gigs of my ram and have 8 gigs, instead of 12 and my computer would be just as fast as it is now.

Just like a phone, you can't max out a smart phones ram yet, because it's most likely not even possible to multi-task enough to use the allotted memory.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Just like a phone, you can't max out a smart phones ram yet, because it's most likely not even possible to multi-task enough to use the allotted memory.

Yeah you're definitely wrong about not being able to use all the allotted memory. I've done it plenty of times.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

romankc

Reaction score
I agree with you (sk102704). I think all the new chatter is responding to old posts from March and April. Hopefully the updated version with 1GB is what we are actually looking at currently.

GBH2

Reaction score
Exactly, the Bionic will have 1Gb DDR2 RAM. This thread is outdated and should just be closed and alowed to fade away so it doesn't confuse newcomers.

yiannis

Reaction score
Last I checked the bionic was still the most highly spec'd android phone with an LTE antenna, not a multi-tasking power machine from 2015.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah you're definitely wrong about not being able to use all the allotted memory. I've done it plenty of times.

Would love to see a screen shot of you maxing out the memory. Please include the processes running.

Most computers from before 2005 are still using less than 512mb's of ram and I assure you your aps aren't using more ram than bloated PC software and old operating systems.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah I know it has a gig so it's not too big of a deal. Although I don't have a screenshot i know ive had applications such as music get shut down because I was trying to multitask. That never happens on my computer. So yes phones could benefit from more ram. We haven't gotten to the point that computers have gotten to just yet.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you're saying an app uses more ram than bloated computer software? Okay, ending this conversation heh.

Aps are much less ram intensive and you aren't multi-tasking on your phone nearly as much as you are on your computer, it's simply impossible to do so.

Edit: And apps closing down has nothing to do with lacking ram, it's usually a force close because of a bug, if it was lack of ram your phone would simply slow to a crawl as it can't push the software to your ram to allow you to access it at a faster speed.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I've dealt with Android long enough to realize when it's a force close. It wasn't a force close. You do know how Android's memory management works right? When you don't have enough left to run everything you're trying to run it begins closing things out. I have more than a hundred apps on my phone so you dont know how much I am multitasking. I do agree that i multitask more on my computer though. An btw theres no reason to bring pre 2005 computers in this discussion as they cant even run the newest operating systems let alone multitask these days. Phones have more power than old computers did. But yeah, guess we can end this convo though. For the most part 512mb is enough, just not at all times so I can see where youre coming from, I just don't agree 100%.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The reason I brought up computers from around 2005 is because that's when one would see 512mb of DDR1 ram and a CPU @ 1-1.6ghz, which is what we're seeing with phones now.

The difference being, a PC's operating system alone used more ram than a phone does now, so a phone now with the same amount of ram as a computer from 2005(generalization) will not have a lack of ram problem.

If you have over 100 apps running at one time, then you're not the majority and I think you could agree that you're the exception to the rule that maxing out ram in a smart phone at this moment is not a common problem.

I reiterate that the problem is ram speed and CPU speed, while attempting to stretch battery management to a 24hour use.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The reason I brought up computers from around 2005 is because that's when one would see 512mb of DDR1 ram and a CPU @ 1-1.6ghz, which is what we're seeing with phones now.

The difference being, a PC's operating system alone used more ram than a phone does now, so a phone now with the same amount of ram as a computer from 2005(generalization) will not have a lack of ram problem.

If you have over 100 apps running at one time, then you're not the majority and I think you could agree that you're the exception to the rule that maxing out ram in a smart phone at this moment is not a common problem.

I reiterate that the problem is ram speed and CPU speed, while attempting to stretch battery management to a 24hour use.

I agree with this. 1gb of RAM will work fine if it's used efficiently in conjunction with the other aspects of the phone like the cpu.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Now that I can agree with you on. I just know that I've maxed my Droid 3's 512mb out. 1gb is a pretty good max for now. 512mb works pretty good for me most of the time though.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

j0Ny

Reaction score
The amount of ram an AP uses is not exactly the same each time it's used no, but it's usually very similar on each use. Therefore if everything you possibly do on your phone at one time does not use 100% of your ram, adding more ram will make 0 difference.

Complex multi-tasking is not something phones are used for yet, therefore large amounts of ram are not needed.

If you want your ap to run faster, you increase your cpu speed or your ram speed, not the total amount of ram.

An example is my computer, I have 12gigs of ram, completely unnecessary. I use at max, 6-7 gigs when multi-tasking like mad, photoshop, rendering, video encoding, web browsing, the list goes on, but I couldn't use all of my ram even if I wanted to. But, my rams DDR3 and it's overclocked from 1600mhz to 1800mhz, therefore, I can increase the speed at which I do things by overclocking(increasing) my CPU and RAM speed but increasing the amount of ram past the maximum usage will yield zero improvement. So I could take out 4 gigs of my ram and have 8 gigs, instead of 12 and my computer would be just as fast as it is now.

How can I check/prove that is usually very similar on each use?

Anyway thanks for all the explanations. There is a bit of a fuss whether 512mb is enough amount of ram for android and I was trying to clear that up. it seems that it is enough for now, depending on some other factors aswell.

Reaction score

How can I check/prove that is usually very similar on each use?

Anyway thanks for all the explanations. There is a bit of a fuss whether 512mb is enough amount of ram for android and I was trying to clear that up. it seems that it is enough for now, depending on some other factors aswell.

All the credible sources point towards 1gb of ram. Not to mention that it will be ddr2 which is not only faster than traditional ddr, but more power efficient. If im not mistaken the d3 is the only moto phone to incorporate this type of ram, but 512 is what the d3 is packing. The bionic ram specs is and will be on the cutting edge ram specs for another few months before the next super phone drops. 1gb dd2 is KICK ASS to utilize for mobile ram heavy usage/multi tasking. Sleep well tonight ; )