Why the bionic's 512 mb of ram still rocks.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No, the higher latency isn't a bad thing to accomodate the higher rates, but the speculations that DDR2 is twice as fast as DDR is misguided .... the only true actual benefit I can see is basically less voltage required

OP
T

theidoctor

Reaction score
Oooook. I thought the architecture of the ram is different. I know ddr2 isnt double ram or twice as fast, but i didnt know about the LP ddr...

Alright, well the ram on the bionic isnt seeming as great as it sounded before lol.

Its too bad someone cant just come out with that superphone that just stays up to par with what we want.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, for the Bionics dualcore processor, they should've put in 1 Gig of DDR2 RAM..... to avoid the bottleneck that would likely happen on the Bionic as stands now

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
What they should have done was put the 512mb in and said it was a gig! That phone will be super fast and no one would ever think twice about it! From what I've read, nothing out right now (OS, apps etc) can push a phone's ram to use the whole 512mb for any length of time anyway.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
well..... as things evolve in the next year or so, that may not be the case anymore.....

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Just give me a phone I can upgrade the parts too...like my desktop. I can't believe Moto didn't leave the option of upgrading the RAM to the end user.

Droid101

Reaction score
I am sure the phone is going to be great, but would you be willing to pay $249 or $299 for it? I am sure that it will not cost less than the Thunderbolt, but jusdging from Moto's pricing on the Xoom, I can bet they are going to charge more.

Amazon accidentally posted the price of the bionic price as 149.99

xier

Reaction score
Coming from someone with a DX and Xoom. Walking contradiction.

Agreed about the DDR ram Droid101, from what I read it will outperform most 1gig processors out there.

Dx and three xooms to be accurate. Cheap bastards comment was somewhat toung and cheek. Atrix has the memory ... I don't see why moto did not do the same for the bionic other than as a cost savings.

hahaha. True. But the Attrix has 512 reserved for the laptop dock, so basically the same as Bionic.

Lots of posts about how the ram is used on the Atrix -- some say it uses all 1GB -- some say that half is reserved etc... I had some time to play with the Atrix and it was smooth but was not more smooth than my TB.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
512mb is fine for android. I don't see anyone with Evos, Dincs, or galaxys saying they are running low.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Even when I run a bloated blur ROM like full stock I always have over 100 MB free, and even then if an app needs more the system will kill other things. Amount of ram is not the problem, the atrix has a full gig to support its dock feature. Its the first generation of dual core phones, expect some problems.

The last generation of single core Pentium 4s ran smooth as butter compared to first gen dual core cpus, but as the technology came out of its infancy single core was obliterated altogether.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
All the comparisons about older phones RAM are being done with short-term views, with how technology evolves so rapidly how would we know what will be going on in 2012 into 2013??.... 512 may very well be perfectly sufficient, but how you feel if you find out it isn't in a year or so and you're contract still has a year left??... I mean why have a dualcore processor if your RAM can't utilize all of it's potential???

totaly sharky

Reaction score
hahaha. True. But the Attrix has 512 reserved for the laptop dock, so basically the same as Bionic.

Didn't moto say that they were going to put the laptop thing in the bionic too?

Something about it coming to all smart phones that are released after June? but don't quote me on that, it's assumed and most likely it will come to the Bionic. And who says it's going to be the exact dock the Atrix uses, couldn't the dock have 512mb or even 1gb of DDR2 build into the dock that the Bionic uses when docked?

It wouldn't be the same dock for sure then. The Atrix dock has 0 parts in it to make it do something. It can only work when the Atrix is plugged into the dock. In my opinion it's a cool idea they had but the price point to buy both of them together ($500 I believe) is a bit too high considering the only parts that do something in it are the screen and keyboard. Its basically just a shell.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
...Its too bad someone cant just come out with that superphone that just stays up to par with what we want.

Have you seen the specs on the Galaxy S2, it doesn't skimp on anything, except the part where it's made by Samsung :) I do like the new TouchWiz features though, hopefully their updates will come in a timely manor, as I will most likely be holding off on getting the Bionic and waiting for the S2.