How much RAM does Android really need?

yiannis

Reaction score
The Atrix has 1024 GB w Tegra 2, the TBolt 768 with 1 GHz CPU and the Bionic 512 MB with Tegra 2. These are all the best spec'd phones released from Feb '11 to Apr '11, i.e. they are the best gadgets of teh top two cell phone carriers.

For my desktop I preferred a slower CPU (i5-760) so that I can afford 8 GBs of RAM, which I felt was necessary for many tabs and programs to run all the time.

Obviously Android uses memory differently. How much is needed? My D1 with 256 MB of RAM is slow, though I wonder if that's also related to the older GPU.

Thanks!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no one-size-fits-all answer. The question is specific to your usage, not necessarily Android.

Obviously Android uses memory differently. How much is needed? My D1 with 256 MB of RAM is slow, though I wonder if that's also related to the older GPU.
Impossible to say without knowing the details. RAM and GPU aren't the only factors affecting performance.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I personally thought 512 was nice on the DX especially coming from the 256 on the D1. Even the Fascinate with 384 was a vast improvement. I would rather have the 768 with a single core than a dual core with 512. The atrix only uses 512 for the phone, and the other half for the laptop OS.