Docking station with a case - Mod or find another station?

Centuriondk

Reaction score
As part of Verizon's 50 dollars off a moto accessory, I picked up the low level (without the USB) docking station for 10 bucks together with my phone. I wanted to use this as a alarm clock/hook some speakers up to it to stream pandora. I was dissappointed to find out that even after taking the plastic cover off the station I still can't connect the phone to the station while it's on my Otterbox Commuter case. The hard plastic shell on the case makes contact with the mounting arm before the USB can get completely plugged in.

So my question for you guys, what's my best option here?

1. Is there another nice case that can work with the docking station? Preferably one that's a little more solid then just a neoprin sleeve.

2. Is there any kind of little extension connection you can buy for the dock? I have found them for the I phone but can't find anything for the razr. I would just need to make the Micro USB plug 1/4" longer so it can plug in all the way without hitting the case.

3. Has anyone had any success trimming down the mounting arm of the dock so that it doesn't catch the case?

4. Am I better off just throwing this dock on ebay for ~25 bucks and getting another dock? Any recommendations? I've tried looking around but the web is swamped with docks for iphones, it's hard to find one that will match the razr

emanuel

Reaction score
I've got the same exact situation. Have you found a solution yet?

OP
C

Centuriondk

Reaction score
Not yet.... I was hoping to hear back from someone here before I started chopping stuff up.

emanuel

Reaction score
I'm still waiting too.

Did you have to get any other accessories to get the dock for $10? I ordered over the phone and was told I had to get the screensavers and a few other items in order to also get the dock for $10.

OP
C

Centuriondk

Reaction score
I don't know if they are doing the promo anymore, when I bought it you could get a 50 dollar credit towards a MOTO accessory, no other purchase required. However the only moto accessories are blue tooths, chargers, or window mounts and neither the charge or the window mount will fit with a case on.

Side note, I bite the bullet and worked on my charger tonight. If you take a hack saw (the kind for cutting metal with the small teeth in the blade) you can cut the outside covering off of the arm the has the USB charger on the mount. If you look at the edge there's two pieces of plastic laminated together. Cut off the top layer with your saw and now you can charge your case! Presto!

(when you try to plug it in you can see that the arm is just a little too wide to get into the hole at the top of the commuter case, narrowing the arm by the above method fixes this problem)

emanuel

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions on how to cut the dock. Followed your instructions and now it fits with the case. Stupid design (not sure who to blame, dock or case) but now it works.

Now how do I get this puny battery to last all day?
:)

OP
C

Centuriondk

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions on how to cut the dock. Followed your instructions and now it fits with the case. Stupid design (not sure who to blame, dock or case) but now it works.

Now how do I get this puny battery to last all day?
:)

Smart rules are the key! Granted I don't use mine that much but I'm still more then 3/4's battery at the end of the day.

If you're usually at work/school whatever during a certain time, set the smart rules to turn off your GPS/Wireless/Bluetooth depending on when you won't use them.

For example I only use wireless when I'm at home, so I have the smart rules set up to disable it when I'm at work. Works miracles for battery life.