Problem with moto car dock and charging

DroidFan291

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this has been asked before, but I have looked a good bit and can't find any information on an issue that I am having.

I purchased the motorola droid car mount and have a charger from verizon for the droid. If I plug my phone into the charger, the phone charges fine. If I hook the phone into the car dock, it switches to vehicle mode correctly.

Here is the issue. The phone does not recognize that it is being charged when the usb charging cord is plugged in and the phone is in the docking station. If I remove the phone from the dock (without touching the cord) it starts showing the "charging" icon. Putting it back into the dock it immediately stops charging again. In addition, the phone goes to sleep during navigation as if it was not plugged in.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks

ShowTime

Reaction score
First off, welcome.
I've never heard of this issue. Nor can I think of any reason why putting the phone in the car dock would cause it to stop charging. I have the Moto car dock/charger as well and it works flawlessly. What's more, whether the phone is "charging" or not, it should not sleep during navigation at all (it should always stay awake during Nav, but not if you're just using maps)

OP
D

DroidFan291

Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I was going to give it a couple days and see if the same problem continues after the 2.1 update. If so, I can only think to request a new phone.

OP
D

DroidFan291

Reaction score
And to clarify one thing, it was going to sleep using the maps and not the navigation. I didn't consider the difference. Thanks again.

xliderider

Reaction score
You can download an app from the Marketplace called screebl. It can keep your Droid from timing out using the Droid's accelerometer to sense whether it is in the car dock or not based on the orientation of the phone.

Screebl can distinguish whether it is being held or laying flat, so you can keep your screen timeout setting at the minimum setting of 15 seconds and it will never timeout while you are reading your email again. :)

Fischer

Reaction score
You can download an app from the Marketplace called screebl. It can keep your Droid from timing out using the Droid's accelerometer to sense whether it is in the car dock or not based on the orientation of the phone.

Screebl can distinguish whether it is being held or laying flat, so you can keep your screen timeout setting at the minimum setting of 15 seconds and it will never timeout while you are reading your email again. :)

Thanks X. I hadn't seen this app before and it's one I was looking for.

ezeStand

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this has been asked before, but I have looked a good bit and can't find any information on an issue that I am having.

I purchased the motorola droid car mount and have a charger from verizon for the droid. If I plug my phone into the charger, the phone charges fine. If I hook the phone into the car dock, it switches to vehicle mode correctly.

Here is the issue. The phone does not recognize that it is being charged when the usb charging cord is plugged in and the phone is in the docking station. If I remove the phone from the dock (without touching the cord) it starts showing the "charging" icon. Putting it back into the dock it immediately stops charging again. In addition, the phone goes to sleep during navigation as if it was not plugged in.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks
I'm not sure if this is the issue you are dealing with, but I've recently found an option in the Droid that some people seem to have checked on while for others it is off and it would seem to be related to the phone going to sleep even when it is plugged into a charger. Go to "Settings" - "Applications" - "Development" and then make sure the "Stay Awake" check box is checked. This will make sure your phone stays awake while charging by either USB or AC wall charger.
Cheers,