Permanent Car Docking Station

tj32

Reaction score
Just got a Droid X, and want to mount it to my car dash to use as a GPS and charging station.

I would like a permanent mount. I'm willing to take my dash off, drill holes for the mount and power. My car is older, and I can easily pick up a new dash at the junkyard if I screw up.

I need assistance with which mount / docking station to buy for this purpose. I then will need to figure out how to splice into my power behind the dash (probably the cigarette lighter wire), as I want this to be a clean install without cords dangling.

Thanks for any advice.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As always, I'd suggest ProClip's device mounts. I wouldn't suggest their vehicle mounts. Try Panavise instead for the vehicle mount. You need both parts for a complete mounting solution. There are, of course, cheaper alternatives out there but you get what you pay for IMO.

There are a lot of possibilities for power. You can try splicing into the cigarette lighter or some other power cord or use something like an Add-A-Fuse if your car doesn't have accessory power taps at the fuse box.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
When I hard wired my Sirius Radio, I bought an add on cigarette type power socket at Walmart. I wired that in and plugged the cigarette lighter plug from the Sirius into it and tucked it all behind the dash. I did it so that taking it out would be simple later, yet it still had the appearance of hardwiring it.

You may not care though.

Reaction score
When I hard wired my Sirius Radio, I bought an add on cigarette type power socket at Walmart. I wired that in and plugged the cigarette lighter plug from the Sirius into it and tucked it all behind the dash. I did it so that taking it out would be simple later, yet it still had the appearance of hardwiring it.

You may not care though.

that's so wired

Reaction score

You may not care though.

That would work well.

that's so wired
LOL

Sent from my DROIDX