Do You Need a Data Plan?

verakot

Reaction score
Has anyone checked into prepaid plans? Can I use the Droid Incredible with a prepaid plan and then avoid the data fees?
QUOTE]

The answer is NO. If you check Verizon's site, a $29.99 data plan or higher is required. It makes sense for them since they want you to recover the cost of the device, and get some profit too.

ryanmc

Reaction score
Has anyone checked into prepaid plans? Can I use the Droid Incredible with a prepaid plan and then avoid the data fees?
QUOTE]

The answer is NO. If you check Verizon's site, a $29.99 data plan or higher is required. It makes sense for them since they want you to recover the cost of the device, and get some profit too.

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear. I plan on buying the phone for full price on Amazon. Then going to Verizon and signing up for a prepaid plan (I think I can bring my own phone with the prepaid plans, or if not then maybe I will use Page Plus).

I guess the only way to know the answer for sure it to ask a Verizon rep. I guess it is time to pick up the phone and call.

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear. I plan on buying the phone for full price on Amazon. Then going to Verizon and signing up for a prepaid plan (I think I can bring my own phone with the prepaid plans, or if not then maybe I will use Page Plus).

I guess the only way to know the answer for sure it to ask a Verizon rep. I guess it is time to pick up the phone and call.

Thanks

Can't be done. They will tell you that you need the data plan with that phone. There is no getting around it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
But why get a smartphone then?.........Just get a regular cell phone. The Samsung u740 has a decent keyboard. Unless for the size and screen on the Droid....I dont know what to tell you....

You probably missed my last reply. It is right above your comment and it explains everything.

Funny, cuz u missed my reply also....

Reaction score
You guys realize that you NEED data for gps... right? Navigation too. All the maps and directions are on google's servers. Not your phone.

Also, as soon as you turn the phone on in an area without wifi, and even if you are in a wifi area its not connected immediately, you are using data. From the instant the phone turns on to the instant you turn it off (or turn on airplane mode) you are using data, period.

100% of android's functionality, save perhaps the calculator, is dependant on data. OTA updates? Data. Maps? Data. Contacts? More data. Apps? Data data data. I sometimes use a hundred MB overnight (12 hours) without touching the phone.

So once and for all, even if you could get verizon to activate the phone without data (they won't do this), you would instantly be charged hundreds of dollars of overages. Even if you just put the phone to sleep without making sure wifi stays on just once, you're instantly going to wish you had a data plan.

Please, stop asking this question... its ridiculous.

Sorry if I offended anyone here, that wasn't my intention.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little confused. Didn't the OP say he wanted the Droid to work like a Ipod touch? If so, yes, you can do this, and you don't need a data plan. Can't make phone calls, but can still access the market place, GPS will work, ergo Wifi.

Last edited:

timp

Reaction score
I have a Palm Centro on Verizon without a data plan...had it for years now (and it is considered a smartphone by verizon). I did use to have a blackberry without a data plan, but at one point they called and said I would need to switch phones or get a data plan, because of a new licensing agreement with blackberry which required them to have a plan. That's the reason I switched to the palm. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use an android phone without data.

purl4peace

Reaction score
I know with verizon a lot of times they require a data plan. I wanted a blackberry but did get one cause they would have forced me to get a plan for the phone.

Will I be able to get this phone with my current plan?

Try going through newegg.com. They are currently selling the Motorola Droid for something like 29 bucks for upgrades or if you add a new family line. They just want you to sign up for the extra minutes and don't require you purchase the data plan (though it is offered as an "add-on" if you want.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Once and for all the answer is NO!. do not listen to anything anyone else is saying it does not matter where u buy the droid from the moment u activate it on verizon the data plan WILL be added to your phone period.
I don't mean to offend anyone but i don't want the op getting false information.

bicycleray

Reaction score
Read what this guy is saying, I actually work for AT&T (but with verizon) and the data plans are the same for them when it comes to smart phones. In fact they know what phone you use regardless if you swap sim card to another device if it is a smart phone made in the last couple years. And in your contact states the data requirement for the phone.

And if you got a contact before the change in november for either AT&T or Verizon, the contact states the provider can change the contact if it benefits the company and customer. (More people not on the data network is a benefit for everyone else, no lag from overload)

*OH, and it's impossible to get a smart phone as a pre paid phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Finally someone else who knows how it works :p, When you activate your phone verizon will know automatically what device you are using and if its a smartphone data is going to be added to the bill.

bicycleray

Reaction score
Plus to utilize navigation such as Google maps you need to have data on the phone anyways, the maps are not pre loaded on the phone. They load when you open the program via data.

*Windows mobile has a Tom Tom app and comes with maps (file size is around 100 mb) but the application is like $60. But again Windows mobile is a Smart Phone

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once and for all the answer is NO!. do not listen to anything anyone else is saying it does not matter where u buy the droid from the moment u activate it on verizon the data plan WILL be added to your phone period.
I don't mean to offend anyone but i don't want the op getting false information.

Well this is a quote from the OP.

"All I want is a phone that is like an ipod touch with ability to get apps (android apps are fine), has built in GPS that is free (just like you would get if you buy a gps unit at the store) can get on a WiFi network to surf the internet, and be able to play games, store music and video/movies for playing with a good and intuitive interface."

Obviously if he wants it like a Ipod touch, and knows won't be able to make phone calls, so......

The answer to this question is yes, you can use the Droid like a ipod touch. Yes it can still go on the market place, use GPs, and get on your Wifi network, use the internet, play games, store music, without activating it on verizon's network. How is this not answering the OP's question?

Last edited:

bicycleray

Reaction score
Well this is a quote from the OP.

"All I want is a phone that is like an ipod touch with ability to get apps (android apps are fine), has built in GPS that is free (just like you would get if you buy a gps unit at the store) can get on a WiFi network to surf the internet, and be able to play games, store music and video/movies for playing with a good and intuitive interface."

Obviously if he wants it like a Ipod touch. he knows won't be able to make phone calls, so......

The answer to this question is yes, you can use the Droid like a ipod touch. Yes it can still go on the market place, use GPs, and get on your Wifi network, use the internet, play games, store music, without activating it on verizon's network. How is this not answering the OP's question?

Ok, so if you want to spend money on a device that is suppose to be a phone and not activate it, I guess that would be an option.

1) to use gps you have to still be then connected to wifi, who has wifi in their car/bike/backpack? The data plan is what gives you the maps. So even if you get a itouch without the gps it's the same thing.

2) if you want videos and apps/games why get the a smartphone. The itouch or zune HD would be far less expensive and give you better battery life for music and video. The itouch also gives you access to nearly half the apps on the itunes market.

So get a phone with a data plan if you want all the features. Otherwise the perfect device for this guy has not be created yet.