Do I need a Data plan for GPS

modette

Reaction score
^^^ Not true, he could be willing to shell out the $$$$ to buy one outright.

Then the question is would Verizon let you activate it still without the data plan!!! Also one has to ask why you wanting the phone and no data plan???

modette

Reaction score
You can't get any smartphones without a data plan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

somehow I do but thats not what I am asking

Im asking if I GPS needs a Data plan

Sorry I did not answer...

No you do not need a data plan for GPS to work. Data is not sent through 3G it get GPS functionality. Just like Garmin does not need a plan. GPS is free for all to use, one of the few things that is free once you have a device.

Edited to say: I used the GPS a few times with no towers around.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can certainly buy the Droid straight out, but as soon as you try to activate it (even if you do it online or on the phone), Verizon will tack on the $30 data plan to your bill.

GPS needs the data plan to show the map, but not to find your location. Without data, you will see a blank map.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
You can certainly buy the Droid straight out, but as soon as you try to activate it (even if you do it online or on the phone), Verizon will tack on the $30 data plan to your bill.

GPS needs the data plan to show the map, but not to find your location. Without data, you will see a blank map.

what about for the app that I showed above do I need a Data plan?

iPirate

Reaction score

Yes you need a data plan

Smart phones are near useless without a data plan

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need some sort of data connection to download the maps, GPS only provides your Lat/Long, nothing else.

silvere2

Reaction score

Yes, if you have a droid, you need a data plan. If the apps are on the droid, you need a data plan to use them. If you want to write a note on the droid, you need a data plan, because having a droid requires a data plan. If there's anything you want to do that happens to be on the droid, you WILL need a data plan.

Clear enough?

iPirate

Reaction score
on a similar subject, once we all upgrade and get the Droid 2, will we still be able to use our Droids on wifi at least? or will the phone be dead?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't get any smartphones without a data plan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

somehow I do but thats not what I am asking

Im asking if I GPS needs a Data plan

Before anyone else tells this poor guy he needs a data plan, check his address. He's not the first person posting from Canada who maintains that a data plan is not required for the Milestone. Personally, I don't know but there have been a number of such claims from our Canadian friends.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check his address. He's not the first person posting from Canada who maintains that a data plan is not required for the Milestone. Personally, I don't know but there have been a number of such claims from our Canadian friends.

Yeah, he doesnt necessarily need a data plan to operate and activate the phone, but he will be unable to use the app he wants to use without some way to get the data. He could use WiFi, but he'd need to be near a hotspot the entire time.

I think, for him, the answer is effectively "yes, he needs a data plan".

modette

Reaction score
I'm confused then with no signal how did I see the Google map, I assumed the normal map was loaded on the phone. Once I feel better (I been sick) and get the dirt bike back and am away from a cell tower again...I guess I'll have to check.

Now Google earth / satellite view I could see needing the connection...how many people actually use that view??? I know I do not.