Do I have a virus?

delaine327

Reaction score
I have a droid and have been looking online to find out what's going on with my phone but can't find anything. Today my phone was on the table in the next room and I heard it beep (but not the usual text message beep or anything I have it programmed to do) and a Browser window with the google search results for "sex" was on my screen. I immediately "killed" the app and shut off my phone and have been searching ever since. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them or if there is a possible known cause for this. Is it a virus? Like I said, I wasn't anywhere near it and have never searched for "sex" on my phone! Thanks in advance for the help!

- Delaine

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
did anyone else touch your phone?

It was july 4th weekend after all....

i doubt it's virus, since it's pretty difficult to get one on Android. You can try downloading Lookout and scanning, but i doubt you have one.

stedrocklp

Reaction score
The first thing to check is what apps you have installed. It could, and most likely would be, an app thats causing it. Go to manage apps and see what apps have access to your browser.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
do you have froyo? and do you have chrome to phone enabled?

if someone else was at your computer they could have sent those results to you via chrome to phone and it does give a different beep then normal.

OP
D

delaine327

Reaction score
No, I don't have froyo or chrome to phone, but that's a good thought. No one else was around to send it to me or to touch my phone. I'm starting to wonder if it ever really happened... No, it did! It just seems a little too virus-y to be a coincidence. I may just uninstall some apps and see if it happens again.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
is your phone stock ? or do you have a custom rom and also have you installed any new apps in the last few days

Darkseider

Reaction score
Was it charging? If so a faulty charger is known to do all sorts of strange stuff

iPirate

Reaction score
Yea that happened to me once. Found naked pictures on my screen and closed it real quick when my gf came in the room.

OP
D

delaine327

Reaction score
It's a stock phone and I haven't installed any apps for like a month.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
It's a stock phone and I haven't installed any apps for like a month.

That is really weird, sounds like Chrome to Phone, but you say you don't have it installed? Well, download the "Lookout" application in the market and have it scan to see if you have a virus, but I highly doubt you have a virus, seems impossible to do so on an Android device, or most smartphones for that matter.

OP
D

delaine327

Reaction score
OK, I ran Lookout and it didn't find anything. But have there been any droid viruses? I mean how does it know what it's looking for? It is weird. And nope, I don't have chrome to phone. I've had my phone on for awhile and it hasn't happened again so I got that goin for me, which is nice.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
OK, I ran Lookout and it didn't find anything. But have there been any droid viruses? I mean how does it know what it's looking for? It is weird. And nope, I don't have chrome to phone. I've had my phone on for awhile and it hasn't happened again so I got that goin for me, which is nice.

Don't think there was anyone to date yet who has had a real virus.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
A while back I saw this on the news:http://wcbstv.com/seenat11/spyware.malware.blackberry.2.1740438.html
That had more to do with spyware on BBs but it did make me wonder.
I think if it happened to me I'd hook up my Droid to my PC and let the AV program scan it and/or do a factory reset.
Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, I don't have froyo or chrome to phone, but that's a good thought. No one else was around to send it to me or to touch my phone.
It does sound like Chrome2Phone or the equivalent for people that don't have Froyo: LinkPush. You don't have to be near the phone to send the page to the device.

Have you reviewed all of the apps you have installed yet?

Last edited:

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
There's an app that's called antivirus Its a really good app and its made more towards the Droid phones. (It works for most Android phones.) The app Scans Apps, Messages, and browser everyday. its slogan: Scan everyday, Keeps the virus away. lol. Hope that helps you.