ditching iP4...going to droid ?

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the droid world. well actually, I'm not there yet. Just returned my iphone 4 today and reverted back to my 3G until my contract is up next month. I'm definitely going to verizon because I'd like to be able to make PHONE CALLS again. LOL
Anyway, just trying to figure out if I should go with the HTC incredible or with the Moto X. I'm of the mind that HTC makes a sturdier phone, but haven't owned a motorolla before.

My main question is....is there a thread I can go to that can explain(very plainly) what all these droid terms mean? for example, root,froyo,etc. These are all foreign terms to me.

Also, I had 30 days to return my ip4 for a full refund and cancel my new contract. Is this how it is with verizon/droid phones?

Thanks in advance!

bje1982

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the droid world. well actually, I'm not there yet. Just returned my iphone 4 today and reverted back to my 3G until my contract is up next month. I'm definitely going to verizon because I'd like to be able to make PHONE CALLS again. LOL
Anyway, just trying to figure out if I should go with the HTC incredible or with the Moto X. I'm of the mind that HTC makes a sturdier phone, but haven't owned a motorolla before.

My main question is....is there a thread I can go to that can explain(very plainly) what all these droid terms mean? for example, root,froyo,etc. These are all foreign terms to me.

Also, I had 30 days to return my ip4 for a full refund and cancel my new contract. Is this how it is with verizon/droid phones?

Thanks in advance!

Yes Verizon has a 30 day return policy but charges a $35 restocking fee.
"Froyo" is Android 2.2 operating system.

"Root" is a term used for root access to your phone kind of like
"jailbreaking" an Iphone which gives you more customization and hacks to be applied.

As far as everything else there is a search feature on the main page and you always have google or this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/43671-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html maybe?

Edit: And by the way Im willing to put money on it that you wont be disapointed with switching to Android and the network that works!!! Or you could hold your phone different or get a case lol

Edit: If anything I personally would wait for the Droid X.. My Droid 1 has been amazing and Motorolas been around forever and know how to make a quality phone.

Last edited:

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Root - gain SU (Superuser) access, ex. Admin powers. kind of like jailbreaking a iPhone
Froyo - newest Android OS (2.2)
ADB Shell/ADB - Part of the android SDK, it's pretty much the console (command prompt) of your android phone
ROM - A OS image that you flash onto your phone. These can be Stock, Modded, or "Optimized" versions of any Android OS...for your phone choice, it'd be Android 2.0+ ROMs. They are pretty much custom versions of the different android os's
SPRecovery - custom recovery image.. this allows you to install ROMs, make backups of your phone data (Nandroid)
Clockwork Mod - same as SPRecovery. If I remember correctly, it is a more simplified recovery image.

These are some of the terms you will see A LOT

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums, we are glad to have you here.

I don't consider the Incredible to be a Droid, it's really IMHO an Android phone. Nothing wrong with it, it's a great phone. I say if it doesn't come from Motorola it isn't a Droid.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

Sorry about that title, that's just the name of it. Read all the stickies in the hacking section and hacking help section. That's the best way to understand what is going on with rooting. Right now the most customizable phone is still the Motorola Droid.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

"jailbreaking" an Iphone which gives you more customization and hacks to be applied.

As far as everything else there is a search feature on the main page and you always have google or this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/43671-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html maybe?

Edit: And by the way Im willing to put money on it that you wont be disapointed with switching to Android and the network that works!!! Or you could hold your phone different or get a case lol
I think the restocking fee depends on your contract..
My sister just got the Droid Eris, and she wanted to know if she could bring it back to get the Blackberry. They told her she had 30 days and a $25 restocking fee =/

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum!! If i were you i'd get the droid X :D Nice to see another iphone user go android!!

bje1982

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

My sister just got the Droid Eris, and she wanted to know if she could bring it back to get the Blackberry. They told her she had 30 days and a $25 restocking fee =/

the standard restocking fee is $35 but if you shop at a 3rd party it could differ or depending on how the rep feels that you deal with at Verizon Ive even seen people skate the fee completely I guess it depens on a few different factors.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score

the standard restocking fee is $35 but if you shop at a 3rd party it could differ or depending on how the rep feels that you deal with at Verizon Ive even seen people skate the fee completely I guess it depens on a few different factors.
True, I got like 3 discounts on my Droid, cause the salesman started talking to me a lot. Since he's a new customer, it will probly be $35, unless he uses charm and flirts lol.

bje1982

Reaction score

True, I got like 3 discounts on my Droid, cause the salesman started talking to me a lot. Since he's a new customer, it will probly be $35, unless he uses charm and flirts lol.

Well he better have nice eyes lol I think since OP is a new customer they would waive the restocking fee if he made a little fuss or batted his eyes a lil lol

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Well if you get the Droid X, you won't want to return it. Since you're an old iPhone user, you'll be used to pure touch screen keyboards so you shouldn't have any issues, unless you just don't like the phone itself.(dunno if that's possible lol)

bje1982

Reaction score
Well if you get the Droid X, you won't want to return it. Since you're an old iPhone user, you'll be used to pure touch screen keyboards so you shouldn't have any issues, unless you just don't like the phone itself.(dunno if that's possible lol)

Good point. I give him like 2 weeks with the X before hes on this forum joining all the other Icrap haters dancedroid Welcome to freedom of choice OP

gszeman

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see another Red Wings fan here! (right?)

I'm sure you'll love the Droid X, or even the original Motorola Droid. The HTC phones aren't for me...seem too plastic, like they come from a corner liquor store that happens to have a display counter full of cheap cell phones and sunglasses. Just my opinion though :p

If you like being able to customize your phone to look /act how you want it to, I would go with the Motorola Droid...as Hookbill said, it is currently the most customizable phone out...and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The X will most likely get to that point, but not anytime soon (No offense to all the talented devs out there...just what I have read about the X...)

This forum is a great place to get info...I've learned a lot from reading through a lot of the guides and sticky posts, and there are a ton of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Good luck with your decision...hope to see you around enjoying an Android phone soon!

OP
R

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This should get me started. don't get me wrong, the ip4 was a great little computer, but as a phone it wasn't up to par. That's the main reason i'm switching to Verizon. I guess I'll be waiting for the X to come out and then I'll go play with it and the Inc. I'm getting excited to play with something completely new to me. Thanks again!

OP
R

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Yep, a redwings fan for sure! Better luck next season right? I'm a little confused by the motorola droid and the X reference. Isn't the X a motorola?

OP
R

Redwinger2001

Reaction score

the HTC droids don't have keyboards do they? I'm really looking forward to playing with the X. Do they have one in store to play with yet? I'll probably wait a few weeks after launch to buy one. After waiting in line for the ip4...i just have to have a break. It was a looong wait and that was with a reservation! Anyway, never been to a Verizon/droid launch. Is it as busy?