Disable Cell Radio?

wingdo

Reaction score
I have decided to re-purpose my Original Droid as a SIP phone. I have no Verizon contract on the phone, but it'll never leave my house so WiFi is fine. My question is, since I cannot use it as a cell phone (again no contract), is there a way to disable the cell radio of the phone to save on battery life? There really is no sense having that radio enabled, it just uses battery life.

Thanks in advance.

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
*#*#4636#*#*
I can't remember if that kills wifi too or not, but its worth a shot.
*edit* I left out go to phone info... my bad

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you put it in Airplane mode first, then turn on WiFi and still get a signal?

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Yes, you can you can put the phone in Airplane Mode - then turn on wifi. I tell all global travelers to do this and still communicate while in another country and avoid any roaming costs. You can have a Gmail account for access to the market, add up to 10 email accounts for other email. Find an app that even does text over wifi. Add music and it's an MP3 player. It is like an iTouch now.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
wingdo

wingdo

Reaction score
What a great idea!!! Thanks!

I've only ever used airplane mode to turn everything off as it always disables WiFi automatically. I never even thought to try to turn WiFi on by itself while in airplane mode.

Thanks for the great idea and fast responses!