Didn't like the iPhone 4s but the Droid 3 or 4... hmmm

Reaction score
All phones have issues yes even the rezound. Look at all the updates that the samsung nexus has gotten already. I haven't really read about any major issues with that phone yet. The nexus phones are not like other phones the updates get way more attention then other phones because they are stock android. So they will get any fixes very quick.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
My brother has had an iPhone since the beginning and now has a 4s with Siri and has been bugging me to get one. Well I'm a Mac user from the late 80's and have only used Macs. So I'm playing around with his new 4s and I actually hate it - which for me is a first with any Mac product. The text message font was also too small - Can you enlarge it on the Droid 3? Well I like my phones with a QWERTY, no getting around it (can't teach an old dog new tricks or something like that).

So since I'm up for a new phone (actually two since I have a Verizon Family Plan), I checked out a Droid 3. I know, kinda late in the game but it fit my hand like a glove, the screen was bigger, more room overall and the keyboard, well... was nice! Since my cell phone needs are rather simple and I just primarily use a phone to make calls, check email and text (and all the basic phones just basically suck) would the Droid 3 be a good place to start my intro into the smartphone world with (or hold out till Thursday for the Droid 4)?

Oh and does the Droid 3 have Gorilla Glass, seems like after reading a hundred threads on this Forum and talking to a Verizon Rep I couldn't get a clear answer?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but help an old guy out - Thanks!

PS Hate being a noob in a forum!

Neither get you a feature phone and a tablet. :)

Sent from my DROID3

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Its a nexus you won't have to wait on Samsung for anything. Updates will come straight from google

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Incorrect, google doesnt push updates to phone, the manufacture does. The manufacturer is Samsung, and they are TERRIBLE with updates, ask anyone.

Just get a feature phone, it will save you hassle and time being you plan on using it for its intended purposes and nothing else really. Dont listen to all the hype, most of the time you will be let down. Go with something you like and that fits your lifestyle and what you plan on using the device for.

Last edited:

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Don't need a tablet, but if these delays with the D4 and Nexus release continue, getting another boring basic feature phone with a keyboard might just happen. :frown:

I understand but basing it on your needs it would seem like the right way to go.

Sent from my DROID3

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
For what he needs i'd say with something that works. And thus far the D3, has proven its worth, or has in my eyes. Ive had mine since it was released and i love it.

Only thing he specified as sort of needing is something with a screen/text he can easily read.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
I was only suggesting it because I was thinking of going back to a feature phone. I was getting to the point where I just wanted my phone to function as a phone but I still craved the features of a smartphone. Feature phone/tablet combo makes sense to me. Price wise would be the same too. The Asus transformer prime is looking really good too.

Sent from my DROID3

OP
AZClimber

AZClimber

Reaction score
Yes if I can increase the font size, has excellent sound quality, battery life better than average, maybe a little more rugged than your average smart phone not sure about the 4G but since this would be my first smart phone and feel like it's time to learn new things - I'm game. I've had a lot of Motorola phones over the years and liked them. The feel of the D3 was spot on especially the keyboard, but if the D4 fits even better I might be tempted. Seems like not everyone is sure the D4 will have a removable battery which could play into the purchase of the D3.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Yes if I can increase the font size, has excellent sound quality, battery life better than average, maybe a little more rugged than your average smart phone not sure about the 4G but since this would be my first smart phone and feel like it's time to learn new things - I'm game. I've had a lot of Motorola phones over the years and liked them. The feel of the D3 was spot on especially the keyboard, but if the D4 fits even better I might be tempted. Seems like not everyone is sure the D4 will have a removable battery which could play into the purchase of the D3.

I wouldn't rush though. When I bought my Droid 3 it had some bugs, camera problems and even software failure. Droid 4 maybe the way to go but definitely wait until some other people have it in their hands first. Don't want the first experience to be a turn off.

Sent from my DROID3

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
I wouldn't rush though. When I bought my Droid 3 it had some bugs, camera problems and even software failure. Droid 4 maybe the way to go but definitely wait until some other people have it in their hands first. Don't want the first experience to be a turn off.

Sent from my DROID3

Any phone at launch is gonna have issues though.

Personally for me all the D3 issues people had were fixable, I installed a new camera, and rooted. Never had one problem in the 2 month period before I was rooted either.

@AZ the D4 has a removable battery pack but it takes some elbow grease and a special tool as far as I can tell, you can remove the back cover and all but the battery itself takes some tear down to remove. There was a video somewhere of a Razr teardown, I'll see if I can find it. (Since the D4 is just a Razr with a keyboard)

EDIT: NVM no good video, but here's the image with the back removal tool and all. lol
droid4-specs1.jpg

Last edited:

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Any phone at launch is gonna have issues though.

Personally for me all the D3 issues people had were fixable, I installed a new camera, and rooted. Never had one problem in the 2 month period before I was rooted either.

True but some problems maybe a turn off that you don't have to deal with. Some may not be fixable and my camera works better with the update but it's still ways off from being great. This is just friendly advice.

Sent from my DROID3

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
True but some problems maybe a turn off that you don't have to deal with. Some may not be fixable and my camera works better with the update but it's still ways off from being great. This is just friendly advice.

Sent from my DROID3

True true man. lol :)

OP
AZClimber

AZClimber

Reaction score
The D4 IMO looks better than the D3 but the reality will be just how much better it will be in comparison to the D3. ICS also seems to be pretty cool but since I'm a noob here and haven't used any of the previous Droids i might just be talking like a sausage! ;)

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
The D4 IMO looks better than the D3 but the reality will be just how much better it will be in comparison to the D3. ICS also seems to be pretty cool but since I'm a noob here and haven't used any of the previous Droids i might just be talking like a sausage! ;)

Its better spec wise and everything thats for sure. But it all comes down to which you like more after you have a hands on. You do have it for 2 years after all. lol

OP
AZClimber

AZClimber

Reaction score
Well it doesn't look like the Droid 4 is coming out anytime soon (Feb. 2?), but like I said, between the poor battery life of these 4G phones maybe I should look for something else. I usually buy Motorola, great quality products and after looking at a lot of different Samsung's I'm not impressed to say the least. I've spent hours reviewing threads and posts on this site and in my ignorance of rooting and roms and the amount of problems out there with Android, I'm totally confused. Should I still consider the Droid 3 or is the LG Enlighten a viable choice with my meager smartphone needs?