Did you know this phone is water resistant?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think by "scuba diving" he means taking a bath with a snorkel on, and by making a phone call means the phone was on speaker sitting outside the tub.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
it is Water Repellant (not Waterproof)

This caused me grief back in the day with my Casio Calculator Watch, jumped in a pool and it never worked again

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
How did you do that? I can see having it in a bag but you still couldn't hear or speak. You have piqued my curiosity. :p

The phone wouldn't work properly either in or out of a plastic bag (while under water). The water surrounding the phone would essentially act like one giant thumbprint on the screen and confuse the digitizer. You can see the same thing happening in the videos where the phone starts making a call and the screen goes crazy. Even in a plastic bag, the capacitance of the water against plastic bag pressed up against the digitizer would prevent it from making any type of determination of a finger press.

Now, you CAN put your phone into a plastic bag, and you CAN both use the digitizer AND have a conversation (both speak and hear), in open air, since the bag would act like a diafragm and simply transfer the vibrations of the air being excited by speaker's transducer and essentially re-transmit those vibrations out into the air in your ear canal. Same holds true in the reverse, your speech vibrates the plastic bag, which in turn vibrates the air in the tiny cavity in front of the microphone, and that excited air would vibrate the transducer in the microphone to generate the electrical representation of your speech.

Now you probably didn't want to know all that, but this is a perfect way to protect your phone from moisture if you are going to be outdoors and could get caught in high humidity, rain, water from a carnival ride, or on a boat. As for humidity, I had my phone out one morning not too many weeks ago while walking to my car and it was very humid (foggy). When I powered the screen up, it went crazy and started trying to dial a phone number, then changed to the home screen, selected a couple different apps, and generally became completely unusable. Had it been in a plastic bag, it might have not suffered the same issue. The air was so thick with humidity that it was acting like a capacitive touch on the screen.

Last edited:

Trash Can

Reaction score
Now you probably didn't want to know all that, but this is a perfect way to protect your phone from moisture if you are going to be outdoors and could get caught in high humidity, rain, water from a carnival ride, or on a boat. As for humidity, I had my phone out one morning not too many weeks ago while walking to my car and it was very humid (foggy). When I powered the screen up, it went crazy and started trying to dial a phone number, then changed to the home screen, selected a couple different apps, and generally became completely unusable. Had it been in a plastic bag, it might have not suffered the same issue. The air was so thick with humidity that it was acting like a capacitive touch on the screen.

Come live in the desert.... problem solved! :laugh:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Now you probably didn't want to know all that, but this is a perfect way to protect your phone from moisture if you are going to be outdoors and could get caught in high humidity, rain, water from a carnival ride, or on a boat.

From the earliest I can remember, my mom always brought Ziploc bags when we went to an amusement park for everyone's wallets to prevent them from getting soaked with water (cell phones weren't around back then, and once they did debut, they wouldn't fit in a sandwich bag). To this day, whenever I go to an amusement park, I always take at least four Ziploc bags with me - one for my wallet (just like dear old mom taught me), one for my phone (an extension of what dear old mom taught me), and two for the people that I go with to fight over since their moms didn't teach them to bring Ziploc bags to the amusement park.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
From the earliest I can remember, my mom always brought Ziploc bags when we went to an amusement park for everyone's wallets to prevent them from getting soaked with water (cell phones weren't around back then, and once they did debut, they wouldn't fit in a sandwich bag). To this day, whenever I go to an amusement park, I always take at least four Ziploc bags with me - one for my wallet (just like dear old mom taught me), one for my phone (an extension of what dear old mom taught me), and two for the people that I go with to fight over since their moms didn't teach them to bring Ziploc bags to the amusement park.

Sigh, some peoples children,, at least you're taking care of your friends. Another use of plastic bags in to wear like an extra pair of socks in the snow our in the super wet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SallyC

Reaction score
The phone wouldn't work properly either in or out of a plastic bag (while under water). The water surrounding the phone would essentially act like one giant thumbprint on the screen and confuse the digitizer. You can see the same thing happening in the videos where the phone starts making a call and the screen goes crazy. Even in a plastic bag, the capacitance of the water against plastic bag pressed up against the digitizer would prevent it from making any type of determination of a finger press.

Now, you CAN put your phone into a plastic bag, and you CAN both use the digitizer AND have a conversation (both speak and hear), in open air, since the bag would act like a diafragm and simply transfer the vibrations of the air being excited by speaker's transducer and essentially re-transmit those vibrations out into the air in your ear canal. Same holds true in the reverse, your speech vibrates the plastic bag, which in turn vibrates the air in the tiny cavity in front of the microphone, and that excited air would vibrate the transducer in the microphone to generate the electrical representation of your speech.

I didn't know all that (and thank you for enlightening me) but still figured it probably couldn't be true. However, I always like to keep an open mind and was actually thinking of how it might work, incorporating these waterproof headsets.
View attachment 49150

Ever since I've learned of them I've been trying to think of creative uses. I know of someone who uses them while surfing - how cool is that?

As Vince Lombardi said, "We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible."

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

FoxKat you never cease to amaze me. I'm going to canvas this forum for support to start a whole new section call "FoxKat's Words of Wisdom, Thoughts and Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask". It will be the most read section on this Forum. LOL...I love your threads FoxKat.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
FoxKat you never cease to amaze me. I'm going to canvas this forum for support to start a whole new section call "FoxKat's Words of Wisdom, Thoughts and Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask". It will be the most read section on this Forum. LOL...I love your threads FoxKat.

+23145364567900005

Yeah what he said

----posted maxx'ed out----

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Relax, my disciples... My words you speak of as wisdom are but a reflection of the known truth. True wisdom is being able to guide the wayward to the path of truth, when there is no obvious proof.

SallyC

Reaction score
Relax, my disciples... My words you speak of as wisdom are but a reflection of the known truth. True wisdom is being able to guide the wayward to the path of truth, when there is no obvious proof.

Ahh, I think I get it. Something like this, Morpheus?

Neo: "I know what you are trying to do!"
Morpheus: "I am trying to free your mind Neo. But I can only show you the door. You are the One that has to walk through it. You have to let it all go Neo, Fear, doubt and disbelief. Free your mind!"

(The MATRIX 1999)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

(The FoxKat 2012)

Ahh, I think I get it. Something like this, Morpheus?

Neo: "I know what you are trying to do!"
Morpheus: "I am trying to free your mind Neo. But I can only show you the door. You are the One that has to walk through it. You have to let it all go Neo, Fear, doubt and disbelief. Free your mind!"

(The MATRIX 1999)

LOL! Yeah, but my quote was written by ME! Those are my own original words. Pretty snazzy, huh? :biggrin: