Did any of you consider/look at the Eris before purchasing the Motorola?

loboblanco

Reaction score
Did any of you consider/look at the Eris before purchasing the Motorola?

OP
L

loboblanco

Reaction score
Do you like the Droid's keyboard? I have a Curve with raised and seperated keys so I'm a little worried about the droid's flay packed together keys.

LadyTourmaline

Reaction score
I like my long fingernails but they have been known to slip off the keys of my Curve adding extra characters. I also didn't get a Storm because with the long fingernails the heat-sensitive pad was constantly misreading the key I was aiming for; the iPod touch wasn't much better. After all that I'm not very worried about Droid's keyboard, without curved/raised keys my typing might just get better.

mcb

Reaction score
Do you like the Droid's keyboard? I have a Curve with raised and seperated keys so I'm a little worried about the droid's flay packed together keys.
I prefer the Droids keyboard to the touchscreen on my iPod Touch and over the physical keyboard on my old Voyager.

I think the Droid's touchscreen kb is easier to use than Apple's as well.

YMMV, of course.

Infernalblaze

Reaction score
i looked at the Eris and like most people have said the lack a physical keyboard is what made me not watn to get it. also i think that the on screen keyboard for the droid is a lot better but thank god this HTC touchscreen keyboard isn't like the ones i had for at&t those were horrible and small keys in landscape mode grr i hated those phones lol sorry for the rant lol

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I had a look at the Eris but its pretty obvious its a cheaper stripped down phone for people with a lower budget.

I honestly think its a waste, because if you can afford the extra 30/month and a smartphone, you should get one that will give you the most for your money. The DROID might be more expensive, but the extra features make it worth it in my opinion.

I really didn't like that other phone, it even upset me that they make them seem so smiliar in the store, putting them side-by-side and calling them both android phones, then calling the morotola phone a DROID (so similar to android). I can see how it could be confusing for new users or people who never used smartphones before.

G

Grimster

The Eris is a better phone IMO if you dont need the large screen.

1. Sense UI interface on the Eris blows away the Moto Droid. Its revolutionary compared to the interface of the moto droid.

2. Eris feels like a dream in your hand and much more compact.

3. The moto droid looks retarded due to the top screen not full covering the bottom of the phone.

4. I can do anything on the eris that the moto droid does and I have the superior Sense UI interface and easily fits in my pocket.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
Nope. I looked at it for like 2 seconds and knew it wasn't for me.

As for the keyboard... it's not BAD... at all... it just takes getting use to. Once you get use to it.. it's pretty good. I prefer it over my Old LG Voyager but not as much as my old Samsung Glyde or Rogue. The Glyde sucked ass but it had a great keyboard.

When Sony and Nintendo came out with joysticks on their gaming console controllers, people said it was weord and hard to use... and then they got use to it and now everyone loves it... similar to the Droids keyboard. The onscreen one is great too though.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score

1. Sense UI interface on the Eris blows away the Moto Droid. Its revolutionary compared to the interface of the moto droid.

3. The moto droid looks retarded due to the top screen not full covering the bottom of the phone.

4. I can do anything on the eris that the moto droid does and I have the superior Sense UI interface and easily fits in my pocket.

lol

The UI is personal taste. Although the Eris may have a better one, they both work well regardless.

much more compact?
ERIS: 4.45H x 2.19W x 0.51D
VS
DROID: 4.56H x 2.36W x 0.54D

so the Droid is 0.11 inches taller, 0.17 inches wider and 0.03 inches deeper... unless your holding both phones side by side, you can't notice the difference. They are the same size IMO. I also think the Droid feels a lot better since it does have some weight to it and doesn't feel "cheap". I wouldn't say the Eris feels cheap by any means, but the droid feels more expensive and better made IMO.

I personally like the way the Droid looks. I like the raised screen... it's a design element few if any phones have. The Eris looks like every other HTC phone... not bad but "boring" IMO. It's all personal taste though.

Again, the UI is personal taste. I don't really care.. they both work well... and they both fit in your pocket BTW.

In the end, IMO the Droid is better than the Eris, partly due to the keyboard. That being said, I think their value or "Bang for Buck" is the same due to the Eris' great price.

thegipper

Reaction score
If the only difference was the physical keyboard maybe i would have considered it. 3.2 inch screen = fail, android 1.5 = fail, and slower processor. Eris feels like it should have been released 3-4 months ago.

I do however like some aspects of senseUI, but i'm sure in time i can get every aspect of it i like on my droid.

G

Grimster

Eris is so much more compact and pocketable. Droid feels like you're carrying around a brick in your pocket.

Brick sized/shaped phone = Fail

Eris is so much more compact when you hold both together its amazing, Moto Droid is much less ergonomic.

Eris has HTC Sense UI interface which blows away anything Moto Droid has.

I laugh when people call the Eris slow. Mine runs smooth. I can do anything you guys can on the moto droid. 2.0 will be out for the Eris next month or so.

Eris rules.

mwinne

Reaction score
Eris is so much more compact and pocketable. Droid feels like you're carrying around a brick in your pocket.

Brick sized/shaped phone = Fail

Eris is so much more compact when you hold both together its amazing, Moto Droid is much less ergonomic.

Eris has HTC Sense UI interface which blows away anything Moto Droid has.

I laugh when people call the Eris slow. Mine runs smooth. I can do anything you guys can on the moto droid. 2.0 will be out for the Eris next month or so.

Eris rules.

Congrats, sounds like you found the perfect phone for you.

So have I :motdroidhoriz:

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

Most of those are preference statements. I actually like the look of the droid. The Eris does not have the option of a physical keyboard, and it lacks on a lot of hardware specs too. There is a reason its cheaper than the droid.

Of course, im not saying the phone is bad, but I really don't see how its better than the droid.