bored with my Eris

dwcasey

Reaction score
post over at xda-forums, but this board seems a little more active for general discussion, ROMs, etc.

I've had my Eris for about 16-months and find the 3.2" screen size and resolution lacking. Being terribly impatient, I've been looking for something to upgrade to without spending a lot of cash.

I figured I could get a used Droid 1 and sell my Eris and not be out too much.

I've put many many custom ROMs ( cm6.1 ) on the Eris, overclocked, etc and would like to do the same on a Droid 1.

How are they at rooting and installing ROMs? How have they held up for ya'll over time? Would the performance be any different? I assume/hope a little better...not that the Eris is bad at 729Mhz.

Last edited:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1.25 gHz on the droid and no complaints. On my second droid, the first one lost a fight with the latch on the car door. Other than that, its been rock stable.

OP
D

dwcasey

Reaction score
thanks

1.25 gHz on the droid and no complaints. On my second droid, the first one lost a fight with the latch on the car door. Other than that, its been rock stable.

Good to know, thanks.

Reaction score
post over at xda-forums, but this board seems a little more active for general discussion, ROMs, etc.

I've had my Eris for about 16-months and find the 3.2" screen size and resolution lacking. Being terribly impatient, I've been looking for something to upgrade to without spending a lot of cash.

I figured I could get a used Droid 1 and sell my Eris and not be out too much.

I've put many many custom ROMs ( cm6.1 ) on the Eris, overclocked, etc and would like to do the same on a Droid 1.

How are they at rooting and installing ROMs? How have they held up for ya'll over time? Would the performance be any different? I assume/hope a little better...not that the Eris is bad at 729Mhz.
Droid 1s are by far one of the easiest to root and install custom ROMs with since it has been around so long now (1year). For rooting all you gotta do is z4root and your in as for custom ROMs using the free version of ROM Manager already lets you install one custom ROM at a time such as CM 6.1, if one ROM isnt enough for you lol you can update to the premium version for a couple bucks haha and install as many as you want (also it lets you download the ROMs straight from the app and all you gotta do is sprecovery)
Should you trade to the D1 you may experience the following the first week or two of moderate use:
Heavier (weight in hand)
Awkward keyboard typing (some of the D1s have the flat keyboards)
However I for one have a experienced a VERY Universal negative droid 1 trait, unfortunately to say, the 3.5mm Headphone jac starts to die out quickly, it usually starts by limiting the sound in one ear and then all together killing your earphones. This is due to the fact that the connector part of the earphones becomes easy moved when in the headphone jac, so much so that by moving your fingernail slightly on it could cause moderate sound distortion (in and out sound).
Other than that if your not a big music junkie like me ( Disturbed kicks butt !) then youll be fine, right now im getting by with my 4th D1 (traded all the other ones in because of the faulty headphone hardware) by using the loud speakers on the back to blast it high!

OP
D

dwcasey

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for advice, that's good to know. I can't make up my mind. I spent too much time on ebay today looking for the right one. Also have looked at the Incredible and Droid X as a possible trade for my Eris.

I like the look of the D1 and the ROMs/themes folks have cranked out are great too.