Details of the Manufacturers and Carriers that are the Most Reliable to Release Froyo

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
carriers-percent-of-froyo-updates-2010.jpg

Since Froyo updates are in the news right now, it's rather appropriate to share some details on the leading smartphone manufacturers and cell providers for Froyo updates. This report from Computer World gathered data from June to December of last year and compiled it so that we can see the rankings for most Froyo updates. The two big winners are HTC, for manufacturers, and Verizon, for providers.

According to the report the best provider was Verizon, with 33.3%. Sprint came in 2nd with 28%, and T-Mobile was last with 12.5%. Furthermore, the wait time for Froyo was almost twice as long with Sprint and T-Mobile as it was with Verizon. Verizon's was an average of 58 days, while Sprint was 100 days and T-Mobile was 112 days.

manufacturers-percent-froyo-updates-2010.jpg

For the manufacturers, HTC updated 50% of their Android phones to Froyo between June and December 2010. Motorola came in second with 15.4%, and, not surprisingly, Samsung is third with 11.1%. No-one else updated any handsets to Froyo during this same time frame. Interestingly, the wait time for Motorola was the best at 54.6 days on average, with HTC a close second of 56 days. Samsung users had to wait a whopping 159 days for their Froyo updates compared to the others.

It's an interesting coincidence, if you believe in those things, that this data comes out right now after we just reported on the XDA Developer's lawsuit against Samsung and T-Mobile. The data from these reports seems to fully support the claimant's argument, and does not bode well fro Samsung and T-Mobile. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Regardless, this data helps us consumers decide from which brand we are best served getting our Android fix.

Source: ComputerWorld via PhoneArena

Last edited:

PikaCane

Reaction score
carriers-percent-of-froyo-updates-2010.jpg

According to the report the best provider was Verizon, with 33.3%. Sprint came in 2nd with 28%, and T-Mobile was last with 12.5%. Furthermore, the wait time for Froyo was almost twice as long with Sprint and T-Mobile as it was with Verizon. Verizon's was an average of 58 days, while Sprint was 100 days and T-Mobile was 112 days.

If you look closely, AT&T is last, at a whopping 0% upgraded :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

brando56894

Reaction score
One of my co-workers just showed this to me a few hours ago, the full chart is slightly incorrect since it says the droid eris never received froyo even though one of our other co-workers has an unrooted eris with froyo on it. Whats funnier is another one of our co-workers (yes a lot of us have android phones lol) that has the Galaxy S is still on eclair.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Is this basically saying that Verizon supports 1/3 of the phones it sells?

If Verizon made froyo it does. . Its just saying more of verizons phones had a froyo update .. but Verizon carries more upgradable phones I think .. less of the eris type phones

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Thats why HTC is the best phone company right now. And im going to be on the HTC bandwagon when the TB releases.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Does this take in to account root users tho? I know once the OS' are "leaked" developers are all over them, creating roms and pushing them to phones, then posting for everyone else to, and some roms I'm pretty sure have shut off the OTA (I believe I've read that in a few dev's rom descriptions). Or would these numbers not be affected by rooted users.