Samsung Drama Continues; Accused of Charging Carriers for Updates; Samsung Responds

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_logo.jpg

Previously we reported that an "XDA Developer" member was filing a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile and Samsung because he felt that they were holding out needed updates on their customers as a marketing ploy to increase profits. There is now more to the story, as it seems the drama has grown.

Another member of the XDA Developers forums, named 'The.Samsung.Secret', has come forward claiming to be a Samsung insider, and also claims that Samsung charges carriers for major updates. The.Samsung.Secret differentiates the updates by saying that critical bug fixes and regular scheduled maintenance updates are 'exempt' from this, but new OS updates, like going from Eclair to Froyo, are feature updates and incur a charge from Samsung. Samsung.Secret explains that this is why the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones has yet to receive Froyo, and not some marketing ploy to maximize profits for their new phones coming out. This is more of what he had to say,
“Samsung, however, considers it [the update to Froyo] a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update.

Some of you might have noticed Verion’s Fascinate updated, but without 2.2 : This is a result of a maintenance agreement Samsung must honor combined with Verizon’s unwillingness to pay the update fees. In short, Android 2.2 is on hold for Galaxy S phones until the U.S. carriers and Samsung reach a consensus.”

This flies in the face of what we know so far, and places the blame on the carriers, and not Samsung. However, its important to look at all the facts in this 'soap opera'. The international line of Samsung Galaxy S phones have already received the 2.2 Froyo update, its only the US version that has not. This tends to point back to a marketing ploy again. Of course, Samsung has recently responded with a complete denial,
"No. Samsung is not charging carriers for Froyo updates to Galaxy S. We hope to have more detail on status shortly. Promise!"

Is this a case of a company backpedaling, trying to cover their butts, or is the 'Samsung insider' a fraud? So far, very little info has come out from Samsung, and although the post from The.Samsung.Secret seems legit, there is no reason to assume it is. It could all be made up, or even just a misinterpretation of the facts. Regardless of whether the 'truth' is ever revealed regarding these matters, there are a lot of US Galaxy S owners anxiously waiting for their turn with Froyo. If you are one of those folks, let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Source: Gizmodo and PhoneArena

UNC

Reaction score
That's just some punk kid trying to act special... I can guarantee that.

A real "insider" would've sold his secrets to Gizmodo or another tech site, and showed his credentials to them...

I bet if you could check his IP address, its the same guy that talked about the "class-action suit"...

I'm good at smelling out manure, and this REEKS of it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

nagmier

Reaction score
Samsung obviously has issues with keeping deadlines... do you realize that the Behold 2 got left in the dust. The note from the insider fits perfectly with how they continue to treat their customers. If Samsung REALLY cared about its customers they would contact the carriers and work with them to provide an accurate press release regarding the continued delay.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well samsung has been scratched from my list of potential android devices. Samsung is choking, they had apple on the ropes on at&t network and they are letting them regain their composure. We have seen this happen before in fights when you dont go for the knock out it usually bites you in the end and you wind up getting knocked out or losing the fight.

iOSh8er

Reaction score
Well this just helps me confirm that the new Samsung LTE device will NOT be my next handset!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So somebody opens an account on a developer forum with the handle Samsung Secret makes these claims and people believe it?

Man I can change the world if this is the case : )

Guys and girls look out for our newest member The Prophet from Planet Xion. He is a real prophet and will enlighten the world. No idea why he is choosing our site but im not going to argue.

Sent from my Droid

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So somebody opens an account on a developer forum with the handle Samsung Secret makes these claims and people believe it?

Guys and girls look out for our newest member The Prophet from Planet Xion. He is a real prophet and will enlighten the world. No idea why he is choosing our site but im not going to argue.

Sent from my Droid

He sounds like an interesting guywaaaaait a minute

tappin and a talkin

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its not that I believe him cuz i dont...but how about samsung nip it in the bud and just explain why they are late on an update for their devices.

Reaction score
So how easy is it to root Samsung phones? Do they have locked bootloaders?

Wouldn't be too big of a problem if I can install a custom froyo/gb ROM.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I can say with 100% certainty that my next phone will not be a Samsung or a Motorola.

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

The world will change forever!!! Who wants to see me walk on beer?

dbst

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

The world will change forever!!! Who wants to see me walk on beer?

hahahahaha

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cereal Killer is wild .....Is that you?

In related news, Sprint mentioned trying to get Froyo to the Epic ASAP today.