Desperately need audio book solution

pbz

Reaction score
To all audio-book player software makers, I have this request: Please try to make a player that will keep itself visible on the Droid screen, so it won't go black, to make it easier to pause. When I take walks, and run into a neighbor who wants to talk, it's awkward to have to swipe the face of the droid to get to where I can pause the player. Also if you could make the controls work with any remote headset, and let us know which one would work with it, that would be awesome! Of course, wma drm support would be awesome, but I guess you can't do anything about it. Thanks to this forum, I will now try out SoundTaxi. I am using the MortPlayer audio book player, currently. I've tried several others, and so far this one is my favorite, but I could be swayed by improvements on others! Thanks!

darkespawn

Reaction score
I have lots of Audio books that are all in M4b format (ipod audio book)

I have been using Book Droid to play these and it worked great, I updated to the leaked FROYO and now it will not recognize the M4b files.

I have tired using Astro Player Beta, Meridian, and several other audio book programs with the same results. FROYO will not recognize m4b files

OyVOid

Reaction score
There is a free app in the Market called Audiobooks. It's totally free. So many titles, I can't possibly have the time to listen. It even has a sleep timer. :)

pennypritty1

Reaction score
For anyone using NYPL (and maybe even other applicable libraries), their audio software is now droid friendly. Overdrive Media Console. I use it and download books to my droid. But only those books that are MP3. Droid's still not friendly with wma. :(

pbz

Reaction score
Corinacakes & Prof Ray: where do you get your books?

thanks Prof. Ray. I installed it then put it back and it's working now thank God lol. I can't go anywhere without my books! I just finished world without end by Ken Follett and think
I'm going to do pillars of the earth again: D

I notice you seem to find better books that will play on a Droid than I usually find. Is this from a public library? Or purchased audiobooks site? Do you then use SoundTaxi or Gold Wave or something to convert to mp4? I haven't tried that yet. But the selection of mp3 books is majorly disappointing. And my public library is dropping NetLibrary, so will only have Overdrive audiobooks available. I've tried to make their player work on my Motorola Droid, but it just won't! So I'm really bummed. I used to use MortPlayer, but lately have been using Ambling Bookplayer, which works well for me, most of the time. Please let me know where you find such great books, and if converted, what you use to convert the file type.
Thanks!

bbuchan

Reaction score
WidgetLocker - Quickly pause and restart audio players

To all audio-book player software makers, I have this request: Please try to make a player that will keep itself visible on the Droid screen, so it won't go black, to make it easier to pause. When I take walks, and run into a neighbor who wants to talk, it's awkward to have to swipe the face of the droid to get to where I can pause the player.

A good solution to this issue which will work for any player with an available widget: Try WidgetLocker (available in the Adroid Market). The application allows you to place widgets on the adroid lock screen. This way you simply press the power button (which brings up the lock screen) and then the pause button on your players widget. Works great for me with Ambling BookPlayer Pro, DoggCather, Audible, & Pandora.

WidgetLocker Lockscreen - Android app on AppBrain
screen

mcgilles

Reaction score
if the developer of astro player is still reading this...

I just downloaded id and I like what I see, but I'm having a major problem which others have reported in the feedback.

once astroplayer is installed it launches itself randomly whenever I touch the volume keys on my driod. it doesn't seem to do it from the homescreen, but it will if I'm playing pandora for example, it pauses pandora and astroplayer launches. doesn't matter if its running in the background or not.

I checked the hotkeys settings and can't find anything that would cause this. I had to uninstall. even after a force close it would relauch immediately if I touch the volume buttons. what gives? can this be fixed?

I'm on a droid X