Desperately need audio book solution

Andrew Terekhine

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. We thought about auto scanning but decided to apply it only to the current playlist. Ok, I added to the list the optional auto scan of the whole library.

ice456789

Reaction score
Just wanted to tell you that Astro is absolutely fantastic the way it is, any further improvements are icing on the cake. And the fact that Andrew Terekhine is on here discussing it with members of the forum and actually implementing the changes discussed means that I'll never have to even try anything else. This thread has turned into 'build your own book reader app', and the results are very impressive. Thanks for listening Andrew!

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Just wanted to tell you that Astro is absolutely fantastic the way it is, any further improvements are icing on the cake. And the fact that Andrew Terekhine is on here discussing it with members of the forum and actually implementing the changes discussed means that I'll never have to even try anything else. This thread has turned into 'build your own book reader app', and the results are very impressive. Thanks for listening Andrew!

Thank you! I wasn't sure if anyone else was watching the thread and appreciating how receptive Andrew is to ideas.

Please if you think any of the ideas I am throwing out there are good, have shortcomings I am missing or just plain suck, point that out! :icon_ devil:

droidess

Reaction score
Does this work on Win 7?

For audible aa files, an audiblemediaplayerfilter.exe file is needed. This can be found on the internet or here

How can I convert Audible.com .AA files to MP3 audio files? | Chuck Eglinton on Gadgets & Technology

It's a plug-in to the Windows Media player. Once the plug-in is installed, try playing the audible file on the computer first. A warning will popup and says that it doesn't recognize the file type. Click always ignore this. The audible file should now play via Windows Media Player.

Lastly, you should set for all aa files to always play using Windows Media Player. Then launch soundtaxi, which will use Windows Media Player and the plug-in to play the aa file and then soundtaxi can do its thing to convert to mp3.

I'm new to Win 7 and also have a new HP notebook so haven't yet figured out how to get access to the system the way I was able to with XP and previous.

I tried to install the audiblemediaplayer file, and was told I didn't have MSVCR70.dll

tried to install that but can't get access to something called winxs folder, and don't know where else to put it -- the other MSVCR dlls are there.

Very very annoying that I can't play audible files on my Droid! Beginning to think that it's almost time to get rid of Amazon and its entire family and stick to library books. Hope Google books makes audio books available soon!

If anyone knows Win 7 well, I'm eager for any cues about how to make this suggestion work. TIA

Gunghoray

Reaction score
I'm a Mac Air guy. I use MACSOME, which cost about $25. It seamlessly converts the aa files to mp4 (or mp3), and that plays on Astro or BookDroid on the Droid. Since you're on a PC, just Google "Audible aa to mp3 conversion" and you'll see a dozen options, including Goldwave, which is very mature and stable.

MACSOME works so effortlessly that all I do is drop the book file onto the Macsome icon and come back in an hour. It has the file converted and ready to copy to the download file on my Droid SD card. Then Bookdroid (or Astro) finds it and plays it, keeping stop points, bookmarks, and other features.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

Andrew Terekhine

Reaction score
Comment... when I click on something I've already added, it brings up a dialog box that offers, Play, Delete, Add even when it's a folder. How about an option to Open or List (whatever you like to call it)? Sometimes people are looking for something specific within that group or just want to see what's in there. To have it instantly start playing might create problems for people at work or whatever.
We've added the option to open playlist in the library(it's now a default action). Please try v1.12.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Help!! soundtaxi is no longer working to convert my aa files to mp3! i've tried converting one book 4 times and it stays aa! i'm done with my last book and this sucks!!

Gunghoray

Reaction score
So sorry. I use Macsome on a Mac Air. When I Googled aa to MP3, I got many free options on download.com.
Good luck. Prof Ray

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks Prof. Ray. I installed it then put it back and it's working now thank God lol. I can't go anywhere without my books! I just finished world without end by Ken Follett and think
I'm going to do pillars of the earth again: D

Last edited:

Gunghoray

Reaction score
Corinacakes,

Pillars was better by a hair than World IMHO. Read River God by Wilbur Smith. PROFOUND historical novel. If you're into Biblical novels, try Gods and Kings series. Way cool. Impossible to put down.

I convert them to MP4 files and play with AstroPlayer on my Droid.

Prof Ray

Andrew Terekhine

Reaction score
You misunderstood my request for percentage watched. What I was referring to was in the LIST view. If I have 15 episodes of a show listed, I have no way to know which were watched or where I left off on the last one I did watch. Same goes for movies.
We've added this into v1.13. Please check it out.

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
You misunderstood my request for percentage watched. What I was referring to was in the LIST view. If I have 15 episodes of a show listed, I have no way to know which were watched or where I left off on the last one I did watch. Same goes for movies.
We've added this into v1.13. Please check it out.

Andrew,

It took me a few minutes to figure this out but I think I see what you've done.

I look at a list of TV Show series which contains 14 episodes. I see a time at the top right and as I click on each episode it seems that the time changes accordingly. I also notice that some shows end up being underlined. I am assuming the ones that stay underlined are the ones that have been watched or at least partially watched? The problem is that this happens to some that haven't been watched where the time stays at 0:00

Is this correct?

Andrew Terekhine

Reaction score
Atomicwedgie, that's right. We've fixed underlined issue for items that haven't been watched.Will be available in the next build.