Defender vs Kraken

Reaction score
I currently have the Otterbox Defender on my X, but I like the looks and features of the Trident Kraken.

Has anyone done any direct comparison between the two?

Pictures side-by-each?

Steve

Last edited:

hemi1300

Reaction score
Can't speak for the defender, but i have had the kraken trident for about a week now and so far love it. Fits the phone perfectly, has a great ergonomically feel, and the plugs fit nice and secure. Coming from the incipio and the otter box commuter, it is a bit bulky compared to these two, but after a few days I am used to it now, and always carry it in my pocket

murf0217

Reaction score
I've had the Defender for a month now and love it (especially for the belt clip that came with it). Just purchased the Kraken and waiting for it to come by mail. I'll post my opinions on it once I receive it!

murf0217

Reaction score
The belt clip is a separate piece. The Defender case snaps into the belt clip. The clip holds the phone horizontally, but it does rotate. The phone can snap in either with the screen facing into the clip or facing out. This is good because if you like to watch movies you can use the clip as a stand.

T RAV29

Reaction score
Sounds good. Does the Defender let a lot of lint, dust, dirt, etc. in?

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
The Defender isn't dust proof like the Kraken is.............that's one of the features I like about the Kraken.

Steve

Jake1991

Reaction score
Ya. I have the defender and I have to clean it atleast once a day. Trying to find a solution...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Janet1025

Reaction score
I currently have the Otterbox Defender on my X, but I like the looks and features of the Trident Kraken.

Has anyone done any direct comparison between the two?

Pictures side-by-each?

Steve

What is it about the Defender you dont like? Im also trying to decide between the two..

thanks

murf0217

Reaction score
For me the only thing a dislike with the Defender so far is the lint. Everytime I've thrown it into my jacket pocket it has lint on it when I pull the phone out!
Maineultra, does the Kraken really not attract lint?
Also, one downer I had with the Kraken is there isn't a belt clip designed for it.... yet.

I've heard January-February for the belt clip!

lisa.malb77

Reaction score
Defender - Kraken w dock

Does someone know if either of these cases allow you to dock the phone without removing it from the case?

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
The Kraken is dust proof, meaning it doesn't allow dust to the phone.
Now lint proof.......doubt it.

Steve

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
What is it about the Defender you dont like? Im also trying to decide between the two..

thanks

The rubber case is loose around the 4 buttons at the bottom, and it's not dust proof.

I like the case, just a couple small things.

Steve

hemi1300

Reaction score
can't speak for the defender bc i've never tried it, but been using the kraken trident for a week now and love it. Adds tons of protection and keeps the x 100% dust free, and the screen protector is nice also, can't even tell it's there. Have read lots of people having problems with the defender screen protector bubbling up and such, have taken my kraken case off a few times and each time i just wipe down the inside of the screen protector and the front of the x and it sits on the screen flawlessly. My only negative so far is the thickness of it, always carry my phones in my jeans pocket and it definitely adds some bulk. It's worth it though bc this case seems bulletproof

hemi1300

Reaction score
one more thing, the screen protector did receive some slight scratches only 4 days after use, not sure how it happened. Looks like where i swipe my thumb up and down for the notification bar. Spoke to trident about it and they said they will have replacement screen protectors available in a few weeks, so i'm definitely gonna order a couple