Debating between the Driod and the Omnia II

Irrelevant

Reaction score
I have extensively researched them both and bought the droid thinking of the option to trade it back in for the Omnia. They both are roughly equal having pros and cons different than the other. I found an app to tether the droid but the camera sucks so far. Does anyone know when they'll permanetly fix the focus problem? The Swipe tech on the Omnia beats the pants off of the physical keyboard on the Droid (especially because of the stupid d-pad being in the way) I have to reach over with my right hand which is uncomfortable and slow. The apps are cool but it seems too easy to make a virus. The Omnia has a 2nd forward facing camera too (for video chat and taking pics of yourself).
Having the Droid for only a few days, I've noticed a big flaw...at night, the screen doesn't light up during a call when you take the phone away from your face. I had to light my lighter to get it to come back on. I know I could punch some random buttons but...lame. Still figuring it out, that's why I'm here. I'm having trouble with the video player too. It requires very specific codecs which I am unaware. I have divx .avi's that won't play. Do they need to be .divx? Also, mp4's don't play and the video player apps don't seem to work. The phone didn't come with a manual. WHAT KIND OF TECH DOESN'T COME WITH A MANUAL?!?!?!?! Yes I know I can look online which is why I'm here. Help me love the Driod.

Reaction score
The manual for the Droid is online. I don't have the actual link, but think I got it from this message board so a little history looking should uncover it. As for the camera word is that it should be fixed Dec 11th.

tdawg5480

Reaction score
well ask yourself this...multi touch or resistive screen? thats a deal breaker for me i cant ever go back to a non multi touch screen n have to use a sylus

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
you seem to be set on the Omnia II... from reviews, the Omnia II fared decently. same with the Droid. just go to the store and play with both, and make your decision.

also remember, linux vs WiMo, which one do you like better? that's a huge decider right here, and it seems you lean towards WiMo (not that there's anything wrong with that).

i love the Droid, for the linux os, customization, and the great App Store. but that's just me.

it's all about preference, nobody here is going to decide for you :D

wildrage

Reaction score
I've found that the Droid isn't for me quite yet...waiting for the e-mail bugs to get worked out. That being said, I don't think I can ever go back to Windows Mobile ever again...even 6.5. I'll revisit my choice after 7.0 comes out, but it's totally not touch friendly as it is (just my opinion). It will be Android or Blackberry from now on.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
haha, gizmodo hates WiMo, from briefly going through this and other reviews (Imagio and TouchPro2)... the hardware on the Omnia is great though.