DEAL: D3 @ Amazon for $79 w/ 2 year plan

TyrantII

Reaction score
For a renewed contract, single or family. Probably less for a new single/family contract.

You get a $50 gift card from Amazon with any VZW droid purchased with a 2 year contract until the 26th. Sure it's not instant (you get the giftcard code on Oct 10th), but I buy so much stuff from Amazon, that it's just like getting a discount. It's going directly towards my Dark Souls / Uncharted 3 preorders!
dancedroid

Deal:
http://wireless.amazon.com/f/verizon50

Droid 3 ($129.99):

AmazonWireless: Motorola DROID 3 Global Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

Get $50 gift card, and a $15 digital marketplace credit.

Not too shabby.

Last edited:

DroidJ

Reaction score
Thanks soooo much for this post, my contract is ended and I've been looking for an affordable D3

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
Crud, I ordered mine from VZW direct on Wed the 21st and apparently overpaid :icon_frown: by 80 bucks.

Reaction score
I just called VZW and asked about this. What they said was that this Amazon reseller may have different warranty or return policies than buying direct from VZW provides. I know this is a small difference but it may be worthwhile if the unit fails. I still have my original Moto Droid 1 and it didn't fail at all but went through three Palm Pres in 6 months, back when I had one of those dreaded phones.

So, I'm stuck with my extra out of pocket unless I want to cancel the incoming unit by refusing to accept it and then ordering one from Amazon. It looks like I'm just going to eat the loss.

For a renewed contract, single or family. Probably less for a new single/family contract.

You get a $50 gift card from Amazon with any VZW droid purchased with a 2 year contract until the 26th. Sure it's not instant (you get the giftcard code on Oct 10th), but I buy so much stuff from Amazon, that it's just like getting a discount. It's going directly towards my Dark Souls / Uncharted 3 preorders!
dancedroid

Deal:
http://wireless.amazon.com/f/verizon50

Droid 3 ($129.99):

AmazonWireless: Motorola DROID 3 Global Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

Get $50 gift card, and a $15 digital marketplace credit.

Not too shabby.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm, not sure if it's just me but I'm seeing $79.99 when I click on either of the "New Customer" options, but it jumps to $150 in our case, renewing a family line. I don't know if the $50 card applies in this case, but even if it does it only matches the $100 I just got at Radio Shack.

By the way, regarding differences in vendor terms, Radio Shack gave me 30 days to return the Droid 3 (which I have no intention of doing!) while I think Verizon's window is 14 days.

-Matt

OP
T

TyrantII

Reaction score
Hmmm, not sure if it's just me but I'm seeing $79.99 when I click on either of the "New Customer" options, but it jumps to $150 in our case, renewing a family line. I don't know if the $50 card applies in this case, but even if it does it only matches the $100 I just got at Radio Shack.

By the way, regarding differences in vendor terms, Radio Shack gave me 30 days to return the Droid 3 (which I have no intention of doing!) while I think Verizon's window is 14 days.

-Matt

Yup, for a family line it's $149.99. Gift card brings it to $100 and you get the $15 app store card as well. So not a huge deal for those on family lines.

A new Family line is $79. Gotta love the totally artificial market pricing of phones.

:icon_ banana:

As for Amazon:
When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

You can return items sold and fulfilled by AmazonWireless for a full refund within 30 days of delivery. All phone parts and accessories must be in new condition and returned in the original product packaging. We'll also pay for return shipping on eligible returns authorized by AmazonWireless Customer Service. To contact AmazonWireless Customer Service regarding a return, please call 1-877-429-8502.
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper. However, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item. To the extent possible, your refund will be provided using the same payment method that you used for your purchase.

If you purchase a discounted phone with a two-year contract and then cancel after the 14-day return period, Verizon will charge a pro-rated Early Termination Fee based on your phone/device type.
For Smartphones purchased after November 14, 2009, such as the Motorola DROID and BlackBerry Storm: Verizon charges $350 minus $10 for each full month of your Service Commitment that you complete.

For a list of advanced devices subject to the $350 fee, check http://www.verizonwireless.com/advanceddevices
For Standard Phones, such as the Motorola Barrage or Samsung Intensity: Verizon charges $175 minus $5 for each full month of your Service Commitment that you complete.
NOTE: Once you fulfill your service contract, you'll automatically become a month-to-month customer.

MzKeishaBaby

Reaction score
Radio shack may have given you a 30 day return policy, and yes verizon gives 14, but after that 14 day you are stuck with Verizon meaning you if you decide you don't like the service you will have to pay the 350.00 termination fee. And radio shack is just giving 30 days in case you don't like the phone you can exchange it for something else after the 14 day verizon contract lock.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Radio shack may have given you a 30 day return policy, and yes verizon gives 14, but after that 14 day you are stuck with Verizon meaning you if you decide you don't like the service you will have to pay the 350.00 termination fee. And radio shack is just giving 30 days in case you don't like the phone you can exchange it for something else after the 14 day verizon contract lock.

It's all good. In my dinky town Verizon has the most towers, and what boggles my mind is we have 4g as well. Why buy the D3, you ask? Crappy service in my house -- which is fixed with a network extender -- but since the extender is voice-only, I'm 100% OK with the D3 and Verizon.

But NOW that you mention the return window -- funny enough I noticed this morning that I have some strange light bleed in the lower left corner of the screen. Literally leaking/bleeding -- when the buttons are back lit, you can see light peeking out from the corner of the screen. Probably exchange it this week. Anyway else notice something similar? My D1 in comparison is TIGHT.

-Matt

MzKeishaBaby

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't downing the D3 lol I love mines, and luckly I haven't had any problems and have owned it for 2 months. The leakage is a know issue with some of the D3 I personally don't have it but it is talked about alot in Motorola D3 forum. And yes take it back and get another one. Also ask them to let you see it on so you will know it the leakage is on the replacement.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OHNO I thought you were just knocking Radio Shack, which I also did too, right up until the $100 discount on the D3. ;) But they handled the sale of the D3 so well I was pretty impressed. Now let's see how they handle the replacement issue.

By the way, THANKS for noting it's a known issue. I really didn't want to spend an afternoon researching it (that's the anal way I am). For the record I don't mind the leakage -- BUT I have a bit of lint under my D1 screen, and figure it'll be even worse with the D3 in my pocket. Maybe it won't make a difference but I'll get a new one.

Thanks again,

-Matt

MzKeishaBaby

Reaction score
Lol, no no when I was with sprint I got all my phones from The shack. I was just saying that even though they offer a 30 day exchange you still have only 14 days to except the verizon contract. Not saying you but everyone in general. Alot think just because a 3rd party dealer gives you 30 vs verizons 14 that's how long you have to decide if you want to keep the service

s_a

Reaction score
Indeed, Radio Shack was my only hope to get my new Droid 3 at a fantastic price ($99.99), which made it the better option vs say, the xperia play that they are selling at the same price (oddly enough, BestBuy are handing the latter for "free" with a new/renewed contract.) AFAIK, they also have great prices in-store on the Droid Charge and Droid Bionic as well, almost matching Amazon's (usually) lower prices. Since Droid 3 seems to be low stock everywhere (probably they didn't make that many Droid 3s? because Bionic seems to be all the rage instead), Radio Shack's extremely affordable option, as well as they actually having the Droid 3 in stock at the store was a godsend for m; eso check out your local Radio Shack, as you might be pleasantly surprised!

(BTW, this phone is much better than many reviews and users are crediting it for. Perhaps I got a great working unit?)

OP
T

TyrantII

Reaction score
last day for the deal, until 11:59PST

The D3 went out of stock yesterday, but came back in this morning. Sounds like they have limited quantities left.

The $50 gift card is for any verizon smartphone. Shop around if the D3 or Bionic isn;t you cup of tea.