Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
logo.png

Unfortunately one of the larger complaints with the iPhone and AT&T is the required data plan that AT&T forces down your throat. Some were hoping Verizon might take a different approach but it appears they will do the same.

It's been confirmed that the Motorola Droid will arrive next week for $199 after rebate and signing a new 2-year contract. Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan (data plan) for $29 per month.

J

JohnDroid

logo.png

Unfortunately one of the larger complaints with the iPhone and AT&T is the required data plan that AT&T forces down your throat. Some were hoping Verizon might take a different approach but it appears they will do the same.

It's been confirmed that the Motorola Droid will arrive next week for $199 after rebate and signing a new 2-year contract. Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan (data plan) for $29 per month.

Of course this again assumes you are buying the phone via the contract and subsidized price. If you buy the phone outright, they can't force you to get the data plan.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
they can't force you to get the data plan, but if you intend to use it on the verizon network they can. they do the same thing with BBs.. i downgraded to a dumb phone for a period of time, and as soon as i activated the pearl again my plan defaulted to the BB data plan. they will get you one way or another.

J

JohnDroid

they can't force you to get the data plan, but if you intend to use it on the verizon network they can. they do the same thing with BBs.. i downgraded to a dumb phone for a period of time, and as soon as i activated the pearl again my plan defaulted to the BB data plan. they will get you one way or another.

I honestly don't think they can force you to do this. They may make it seem this way but if you stick to your guns you can activate the phone without data.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately they can, and do. If you intend to use the phone on their network i assure you they "REQUIRE" a data plan. It doesn't matter whether you buy the phone outright or not. I got an email from them last oct / nov saying that any new contracts that dealt with dumb-phones and smart-phones would "REQUIRE" without exception a data plan. All of the major networks are doing it. It's not just at&t and verizon. If you want on their network, they say you have to play by my rules, end of story.

Droid

Reaction score
Perhaps you should conjoin all the threads together in a big Droid super news thread?

pastachef

Reaction score
whats the point of getting a device optimized for internet usage like this if you are not going to get the data plan? are you planning on using it excusively on wifi? im planning on getting data and using google voice to have unimited voice.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well that was all their thinkings. Was if you were getting a phone that could do all this then you were most likely going to use it.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
As BlackBerry Storm 1 user, and other BB's before that one, the Data plan is not all that important as I pay it already to RIM via VZW. So that is not going to deter me from getting a Droid !

You want the best toys, ya gotta pay the price to use them. Such is the techie world !

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ray, you are correct in assuming that the data plan is good for one phone, not an account. i have been paying the BB service for a while now too, so this might actually be cheaper, not sure..

so yes, while you all may not see it as fair, the data plan (i think $29.99) is DEFINITELY required. this is true of all verizon smartphones and there is no way around it. :p

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys! I am new here. I am currently still using my ancient Motorola Q (WM5!!). I was due for my NE2 $100 credit from VZW last December, but there was no phone worth switching to, including the Q9c. However, the Droid has changed that. Can't wait to get this phone... I also moderate at another forum, so I am sort of familiar with Verizon policies.

For over a year, ANY smartphone from VZW needs an internet /data plan. HOWEVER, for the "older phones", they were including the "pay as you go" data usage as a plan choice. (Seems ridiculous, as this gets costly fast!)

On all the other sites for the Droid, it states Verizon will require the $29.99 data plan...

Hope this helps a bit...

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
ray, you are correct in assuming that the data plan is good for one phone, not an account. i have been paying the BB service for a while now too, so this might actually be cheaper, not sure..
***SNIP

Sam, the VZW data package at $29.99 is the same as their BB plan. (I have a smartphone, husband has a BB...):) Same price on the bill (29.99 per phone...)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
***SNIP

Sam, the VZW data package at $29.99 is the same as their BB plan. (I have a smartphone, husband has a BB...):) Same price on the bill (29.99 per phone...)

BB Enterprise plan i get get the same as the normal plan, so alittle different. But i also don't want a BB so there's a problem lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.