Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjman349

Reaction score
Let me see if i got this right. The $30 data plan is 5 MB a month and $45 a month unlimited? I did about 6MB last month? It seems like Google maps and turn by turn directions will take up a lot of data.

No both plans are truly unlimited if you are using the connection on your phone ie not tethering. The difference in pricing is if you have corporate email or not. If you have corporate email that goes through an enterprise server, you will be able to have your work email sent to your phone through Microsoft Exchange Service.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me see if i got this right. The $30 data plan is 5 MB a month and $45 a month unlimited? I did about 6MB last month? It seems like Google maps and turn by turn directions will take up a lot of data.

No both plans are truly unlimited if you are using the connection on your phone ie not tethering. The difference in pricing is if you have corporate email or not. If you have corporate email that goes through an enterprise server, you will be able to have your work email sent to your phone through Microsoft Exchange Service.

This is correct also. $44.99 if you need the exchange server. $30 for regular data.

The mobile data connect card caps out at 5gb per month. That's it.

xjman349

Reaction score
Of course its right he he. I don't give bad info lol. Ok one time back in 85.

nathan52789

Reaction score
If I have a family share plan and I am not the main phone can I just add the 30 dollar a month data plan on top of the already existing plan and do that? I'm on my parents plan currently.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
logo.png

Unfortunately one of the larger complaints with the iPhone and AT&T is the required data plan that AT&T forces down your throat. Some were hoping Verizon might take a different approach but it appears they will do the same.

It's been confirmed that the Motorola Droid will arrive next week for $199 after rebate and signing a new 2-year contract. Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan (data plan) for $29 per month.

Of course this again assumes you are buying the phone via the contract and subsidized price. If you buy the phone outright, they can't force you to get the data plan.

The system will not activate and advanced device without a data plan. Go ahead and try it. To test I activated an old SLVR, then reactivated my BB, it instantly adds BB data plan.

Same goes from a treo 650 on there as well.

Nothing you can do about it.

medicTHREE

Reaction score

30 dollar plan is personal, 45 dollar is enterprise(business). If you have your own account you are fine. If you are tied to a business(not just business discount) then you pay 45 a month. Both are "unlimited" and offer 5 gb a month.

medicTHREE

Reaction score

Sorry for the triple post.

This is actually wrong. Standard 30 dollar plan can use Microsoft Exchange with the Droid just fine. No need to pay 45 bucks for something that works at 30. This is the same with WinMo phones.

flcastillo1975

Reaction score
actually they do dont require u to get a data plan. you can purchase the phone and get just a voice plan, but why????? there are a lot of decent phones out there for those purposes only.... this phone screams for a data plan..... why buy it otherweise

Rewlaz

Reaction score
I have to say that I have the Palm 650 and I DON"T have a data plan. In fact, the reason why I bought my Palm, instead of a BB, was the fact that I had an option to pay for or not pay for a data plan (650 is my second Palm). I have a lot of use for my Palm without having to go online with it. I think having to pay for data plan is B.S., it should be my choice. Just because I don't have a data plan does not mean I can't afford it.

Guindalf

Reaction score
The data plan requirement was instituted about a year ago. To my knowledge, there is no more PAYG option. I had (and still own) a Motorola Q9m which I bought when it first came out and there was no requirement to have data then.

I had issues with the store I bought it from and ended up on the phone with VZW directly. The girl told me that the PAYG plan was dangerous and some people were getting $1600 phone bills due to the phone connecting to data for long periods without the user's knowledge, so I had it disabled. Apart from it being so ugly to use, I never really got any benefit from having a smartphone, but I'm loving the new Droid.

I even found out that employees of my company get an 8% discount on their bill, so with four phones (one with data), I'll get close to $10 off my bill, making the extra for the data around $20. Bargain.

space

Reaction score
actually they do dont require u to get a data plan. you can purchase the phone and get just a voice plan, but why????? there are a lot of decent phones out there for those purposes only.... this phone screams for a data plan..... why buy it otherweise

Not true. I commute and work in rural NM and have zero use for the data plan, as I spend much of my time outside the 3G network. The rest of my time I spend around wifi access points.

I was on the phone with VZW customer service and tech support for about an hour today. I got various levels of sympathy, but ultimately no luck: IF you have a PDA on their network, THEN you must have a data plan. That's their policy, take it or leave it.

Adios, Droid. You were a very cool phone, but I will not pay $360/yr for non-existent 3G coverage. It's truly unfortunate that Verizon is shafting its rural customers this way.

Big Cam

Reaction score
As BlackBerry Storm 1 user, and other BB's before that one, the Data plan is not all that important as I pay it already to RIM via VZW. So that is not going to deter me from getting a Droid !

You want the best toys, ya gotta pay the price to use them. Such is the techie world !
I agree, the standard unlimited data plan is $29 which is a good deal if you ask me, I believe the iphone hasa higher rates.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As BlackBerry Storm 1 user, and other BB's before that one, the Data plan is not all that important as I pay it already to RIM via VZW. So that is not going to deter me from getting a Droid !

You want the best toys, ya gotta pay the price to use them. Such is the techie world !
I agree, the standard unlimited data plan is $29 which is a good deal if you ask me, I believe the iphone hasa higher rates.

iphone data plan is 30 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.