Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

shima

Reaction score
As BlackBerry Storm 1 user, and other BB's before that one, the Data plan is not all that important as I pay it already to RIM via VZW. So that is not going to deter me from getting a Droid !

You want the best toys, ya gotta pay the price to use them. Such is the techie world !

Yup, that's the way of the smart phone. I too have a Storm 1 and am already used to the 30 a month, so if I switch to Droid it won't be a big deal. The data plan gives you unlimited data / email useage, it's definitely worth it. You could always switch and pay per MB for your data, but you'd go broke really fast, trust me.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont understand what the big deal is with everyone not liking the fact that certain smartphones require a data plan. It's not just the DROID, Blackberry, IPhone... ETC. if you have a smartphone with out a data plan most of the phone is utterly useless. For those that say they cant afford the data plan then maybe a high end phone isnt for you.

i know it sounds kinda harsh but if money is tight then maybe instead of dropping several hundred on a good phone maybe that person should put the money towards their grocery or gas fund. Im sure it would serve a better purpose there.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Since most people who are interested in the Droid, already have a smart phone, ie:BB or something similar, they already are paying for a data plan, It looks like it will be a direct swap in $$ for it when they switch to the Droid. So this is certainly not an issue I would think.

And I agree with "garrett" that if you are buying the Droid to be as smart as it can be, without a data plan it would just be a cute phone or paperweight. But from what I have heard and read, VZW will not sell it to you unless you agree to the data plan anyway.

It's part of the price of having good tech.

xjman349

Reaction score
I work for Verizon Wireless and the data packages will be 29.99 for the standard use 44.99 for the enterprise user. Just like the BB.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I work for Verizon Wireless and the data packages will be 29.99 for the standard use 44.99 for the enterprise user. Just like the BB.

Welcome to DroidForums xjman349 !!

How is the news on the front lines? Are you allowed to tell us? Do You work in the stores themselves or behind the scene? Are they making sure they have enough docks and such for when the Droid is released on Friday? I know for myself, I am looking at dropping some coin on these too.

xjman349

Reaction score
I work behind the scenes. There will be plenty of Multimedia Docks and Navigation Docks on release. If you are going to a specific store and they are out you are able to call and have them ordered over the phone with free 2 days shipping depending on your status. If you are a VIP customer you will also receive a discount on the accessories. I have been using both devices for a bit and they are both looking really strong. Also don't know if you were aware but some high traffic stores will be opening early on 11/06.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I work behind the scenes. There will be plenty of Multimedia Docks and Navigation Docks on release. If you are going to a specific store and they are out you are able to call and have them ordered over the phone with free 2 days shipping depending on your status. If you are a VIP customer you will also receive a discount on the accessories. I have been using both devices for a bit and they are both looking really strong. Also don't know if you were aware but some high traffic stores will be opening early on 11/06.

Yes the VIP thing is cool. No activation fees either :). I am also glad to hear they will have enough supplies on release day. Also glad to have you here

xjman349

Reaction score
Thanks glad to be here. If anyone has questions and they don't feel comfortable feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer any questions I can. Just remember if a specific store doesn't have stock on something call *611 or 180092202204 and they can get you an accessory sent out. When you call a center they deal with their own separate inventory on accessories than the stores.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks glad to be here. If anyone has questions and they don't feel comfortable feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer any questions I can. Just remember if a specific store doesn't have stock on something call *611 or 180092202204 and they can get you an accessory sent out. When you call a center they deal with their own separate inventory on accessories than the stores.

Thanks for the info!

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G

The VIP Status, is it listed on your account? So when you show up at a VZW Store there is no arguing if you have it or not? What is the criteria to be VIP?

As for me, I had a VIP card a while back, but I can't find it right now. I spend just over $250 a month on my VZW Account. Yeah I know, sick, but it's the price I am willing pay to be connected. 3 phones and a broadband device will cost ya this.

I plan to be at my local VZW Store when it opens at 7am. Earlier actually, I am sure there will be a line.

xjman349

Reaction score

The VIP Status, is it listed on your account? So when you show up at a VZW Store there is no arguing if you have it or not? What is the criteria to be VIP?

As for me, I had a VIP card a while back, but I can't find it right now. I spend just over $250 a month on my VZW Account. Yeah I know, sick, but it's the price I am willing pay to be connected. 3 phones and a broadband device will cost ya this.

I plan to be at my local VZW Store when it opens at 7am. Earlier actually, I am sure there will be a line.

Yes VIP status is listed on your account. The rep helping you will be able to see on your account if you are VIP. You will not need a card or anything like that. The biggest criteria is Price plan you are on, how much you pay a month, and how often you pay your account off in full each month.

Poley

Reaction score
Let me see if i got this right. The $30 data plan is 5 MB a month and $45 a month unlimited? I did about 6MB last month? It seems like Google maps and turn by turn directions will take up a lot of data.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes VIP status is listed on your account. The rep helping you will be able to see on your account if you are VIP. You will not need a card or anything like that. The biggest criteria is Price plan you are on, how much you pay a month, and how often you pay your account off in full each month.

What makes you have VIP status with them though? I mean I pay around 100 a month and pay it off every month, been with them for about almost 4 years now.

Donsell

Reaction score
I believe it's 5 GB not MB. You'd blow through 5 MB pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.