data issues seem to be across the board on all phones

onebigunion

Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled at why there seems to be so much focus and vitriol aimed at Motorola over the data drop issues. There seem to be myriad complaints of similar issues with HTC and Samsung, etc. models also. This suggests this a Verizon issue. Perhaps some phones handle the data handshake issues a little better than others and may be more tweakable to minimize the pain, but this seems to be a network issue that suggests little hope for any meaningful solution to be offered by a motorola OTA update. 4g just isn't ready for prime-time.

Even the 3G drop issues are common to other makes too. My previous Blackberry was brutal with this and kknow of many issues with LG with this as well. Hate to sound so pessimistic and cynical, but I have a feeling this ain't going awayany time soon. By the way, I wonder how many people dealing with this crap are those grandfathered into the unlimited data plans??

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The vast majority of complaints come from certain models. Motorola happens to make most of them.

69copo

Reaction score
I do agree that it seams to be a VZW issue. While Moto does make the majority of phones we Droid fans are pining over (save the Nexus), I think that LTE wasn't quite ready for the big time. When I had only 3G coverage I never had a problem, now that I have 4G all of the phones that use it seem to panic and drop even 3G. Switching Airplane mode on and off doesn't seem to help the only solution I've found is a full power cycle. Very upsetting and disappointing.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the whole data issue thing, and from the beginning i've said that it's most likely a network issue, and not a device issue. And I just have a feeling that the fix is a relatively simple tweak to something at the cell site. Why do I get this feeling? Because it would account for the fact that some folks have nothing but issues; and with multiple devices, while others such as myself have never seen a data issue that wasn't related to a known outage.

Maybe some of the towers themselves are running outdated firmware on one or more pieces of networking equipment. Maybe something isn't IPV6 friendly. Whatever it is, it almost seems like an inability to lease a new IP address once you lose connection. The device isn't going to show a connection until it has successfully obtained an IP address and is indeed connected to the network.

Human_Droid

Reaction score
Something definetly is not right and we should be compensated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled at why there seems to be so much focus and vitriol aimed at Motorola over the data drop issues. There seem to be myriad complaints of similar issues with HTC and Samsung, etc. models also. This suggests this a Verizon issue. Perhaps some phones handle the data handshake issues a little better than others and may be more tweakable to minimize the pain, but this seems to be a network issue that suggests little hope for any meaningful solution to be offered by a motorola OTA update. 4g just isn't ready for prime-time.

Even the 3G drop issues are common to other makes too. My previous Blackberry was brutal with this and kknow of many issues with LG with this as well. Hate to sound so pessimistic and cynical, but I have a feeling this ain't going awayany time soon. By the way, I wonder how many people dealing with this crap are those grandfathered into the unlimited data plans??

I'm glad to see someone finally say this. I have been having the dropped data connection thing on my OG (UD) since just about when the Bionic dropped. I generally just suck it up and cycle airplane mode and it pops back on. I definitely think this is a VZW thing.

JJ

** Posted with my TouchPad that is anxiously waiting for an ICS build **

djspy

Reaction score
I'm glad to see someone finally say this. I have been having the dropped data connection thing on my OG (UD) since just about when the Bionic dropped. I generally just suck it up and cycle airplane mode and it pops back on. I definitely think this is a VZW thing.

JJ

** Posted with my TouchPad that is anxiously waiting for an ICS build **

Same thing has been happening to me with my OG Droid. It got worst when they turned on LTE in my Area. I called Verizon and the tech had me go into the ##PROGRAM menu and change a number than after the phone powered off and on he had me call *228 and press one. My signal has gotten better since then but, it's never at a constant full bars like it was before.

L

leroybrute

I have the Bionic and Rezound. My wife has a charge, and I have been thinking for months now that it was network issues causing data drops causing a domino effect like bsod's, random reboots etc, because all my 4g devices were having data issues. Then I added the Rezound to the stable last Monday. Today is one week not one hickup, the phone has been flawless! Knock on wood. That hasn't happened to me before! Last night I started reminiscing about all of our problems since I first bought my first 4g phone the tbolt on april 15th. My eyes started to tear up, partially because I'm diehard Moto, and second it took 4 4g devices. I still think most of the problem lies with verizon and lte but the manufacturers are having to come up with fixes for them. So I see with the Bionics and Razrs coming update fixing these issues. I cannot wait because I still love my Bionic.

BePrepared

Reaction score
I personally believe that the connectivity issues are NOT just an issue with the Bionic and/or its software.

I'm a truck owner operator, and I'm all over the eastern part of country normally. When I'm home I have almost zero connectivity issues. I can drive all over the Triad area of NC (4g area) and almost never lose data. Often on the road, I can drive for 60 miles or more, and never lose data. (I know because I'm listening to TuneIn radio, or an NFL game.) In other places, getting a data connection can be a nightmare. I know there is a data signal, because my MiFi is picking it up.

I believe it's some sort of hybrid issue between the phones and Verizon's network. Maybe it's not Verizon's towers, but other third parties which have issues? Just based on my personal experiences, I believe this is more of a Verizon issue than defective phones made by Motorola.

rdgxray

Reaction score
I have the Bionic and had a Charge before....no problems with charge...no 4g in my area so I turn 4g off first thing...charge held a data connection 99% of the time...I still have charge ...my Bionic has 4g shut off also ...it drops data constantly ....charge and bionic side by side...3g on with full bars...bionic will lose 3g then all bars! Sometimes rebooting helps...It just does same thing again in a few minutes ..this happens everywhere I go..have to carry the charge if I want a stable data connection ....the voice quality on the bionic is superior though...and texting/voice is not affected by data drop...It is imho 100% a bionic problem ...hopefully patch fixes it. :-(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

DoctorV

Reaction score
I have a direct 4G connection comparison also. My wife has a Droid Charge and she always has 5 out of 5 bars at home where as I typically get 1 to 2 bars out of 4. Lately I've been getting total data loss while my wife and her Charge still have 5 out of 5 bars. In my case it seems to be a Bionic issue. I'm ready to sell it and buy a Nexus if the update doesn't resolve it.

OP
O

onebigunion

Reaction score
I dunno - I just was over at the Charge forum and there are posts saying the Charge has constant data drops, as opposed to HTC and moto phones. Everybody is experiencing the same problems, and people are jumping ship to another 4g phone, often paying cancellation fees or selling their phone at a loss. There isn't a single 4g phone out there that isn't having this problem.

rdgxray

Reaction score
All I can say is the Charge does drop data...less than 10% of the time Bionic does...and Charge quickly regains it...bionic will sit with no data until I reboot ...with the Charge it was a non-issue...the Bionic is unusable sometimes ...both drop data but on drastically different scales...I never once thought of returning my Charge...I cannot wait to get rid of or find a fix for Bionic...I paid a lot of money for the flagship phone from Motorola which supposedly has best quality hardware ...and it is out performed drastically by the Charge??? A samsung phone that has the supposedly worst build quality ....something doesn't add up

OP
O

onebigunion

Reaction score
Yes that is exactly my point. All theverizon LTE phones exhibit the problem. Only the severity varies, possibly deeding on your location or other random variables. Given that, samsung or Motorola or htc are not likely, or maybe even possible, to solve a problem that exists. They aren't the common variable. - vzw LTE is. And we all suffer from it

rdgxray

Reaction score
I don't even use the lte or 4g...have it turned off...no service in my area...I still get unacceptable data drops with Bionic...it varies..today no problems ...yesterday ...could hardly use phone ...