D2 battery doesn't hold charge anymore

lucey

Reaction score
I've had my droid since the beginning of december of 2010. Maybe I just didn't notice as much before but it seems like my battery is worse than before. Example, I was charge my phone to 100% until the phone says" charged" then I will unplug it. My phone will die within 6 hours. And for the apps I have running, I have no apps running like chat or anything that stays open. The day it died within 6 hours I was at work and I was hardly using it besides a text here and there and it died by noon. I just feel like im constantly having to plug it in any chance I get through out the day and I don't remember having to do this when I first got it. Do you think if I went to a verizon store they would give me a new battery for free since it seems like this one is dysfunctioning?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That's not the battery, that sounds more like something is constantly running in the background. Go to Battery Use, top 3 should be something like display, android system, and standby.

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
That's not the battery, that sounds more like something is constantly running in the background. Go to Battery Use, top 3 should be something like display, android system, and standby.

Well I checked that and it was (at the time) display, android system and voice calls. My mother called me and we talked for about 5 minutes maybe. My phone was plugged in charging, full charged by 10 pm so I unplugged it, now at 12 am, two hours later, its already at 50% with the only usage between mild texting and that one 5 minute phone call. And I always have my brightness level at the lowest to try to conserve some of my crappy battery. So I find it pretty ridiculous that it goes from 100 to 50 in 2 hours with no hardcore usage. So, would verizon replace the battery? Or am I screwed with having to plug my phone in basically every 3 hours. Im about to switch back to my blackberry, that thing would hold charge for 2 days with lots of texting and phone calls and internet. I don't want to spend my money on a new battery or on the extended, which is why im wondering if verizon will deem my battery as defective given how poor the life is.

Reaction score
These batteries are only good for a certain number of cycles. It's possible that your battery is just dying. You can get a new OEM one on amazon for about $5 shipped, or you can spend about $40 and get the BP7X extended battery, which I have on my D2G and LOVE. It would be even better in your D2.

Reaction score
Your battery should not be dying so quickly. I think its defective. I use my phone far more than you from what you've described and I can go over a day with the usage you described. And I've had my phone since september.

barry359

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I bought two D2G phones. One for me one for my wife. Mine the battery drops to 20% overnight with no usage. The other stays at 90% in the same time period. Put my battery in my wifes phone and there was no change to her phone. Still at 90% the next morning. So my problem was not the battery. Went to the Verizon store and they installed juice defender and advanced task killer. My battery was now at 100% the next morning. Why is it that I have to run these applications and turn stuff off to get the battery life that she gets with everything on. Also her usage is higher then mine. One application that I had installed and she didn't was the weather channel app, which I have now uninstalled.

Thanks
Barry

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some app that's constantly running in the background. First off, uninstall atk (look for the thread "googles answer to task killers", it does a better job of explaining why then I can). Also, look at what's using the most battery, it should always be display.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with uninstalling atk but I think your approach on this would be to take it to a Verizon store and tell them you're only getting 6 hours of battery. I'm willing to bet they will give you another battery and send you on your way.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I disagree, these phones get crap battery life without some tweaking.... especially on stock.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree, these phones get crap battery life without some tweaking.... especially on stock.

Mine doesn't. I still have my D1 battery that I bought in November 2009 and my Blackberry Storm battery which I got in December 2008. Still working fine. BB Storm and D1/D2 all use the same battery.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Mine doesn't. I still have my D1 battery that I bought in November 2009 and my Blackberry Storm battery which I got in December 2008. Still working fine. BB Storm and D1/D2 all use the same battery.

You also know how/what to set up so that your data isn't constantly running or an app isn't constantly running in the background.

Didn't know they used the same battery as the storm, might have to grab the battery from my moms old storm lol.

OP
L

lucey

Reaction score
Hmm the bb storm and bb tour came out about the same time and before droid I had the bb tour. Is it the same battery?

Also, I use weather channel as well which may or may not have to do with my battery draining. should I uninstall it? And if so,van anyone else recommend a different weather app that's more battery efficient?